The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: PS2oose Your Own Summer Adventure!

crimson_tide

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: PS2oose Your Own Summer Adventure!

Post by crimson_tide »

So I downloaded The Mark of Kri. I already removed it. I LOVE the art style (holy ****, I NEED to do a Rau workout challenge like yesterday, that mofo has my ideal body)...but I don't like the gimmick. The one button per enemy thing got old before I beat the first level. I don't like that this beast of a man has to do all this stealth either. It's not bad at all and I thought after my Assassin’s Creed shenanigans, I would be able to go back but no. I just don't like it. Oh well, time to PS2oose something else. I still have Psychonauts downloaded, maybe that? Sly or Jak is possible, I never really gave those a go. Rogue Galaxy or Devil May Cry are still a possibility...decisions, decisions.
isthatallyougot

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: PS2oose Your Own Summer Adventure!

Post by isthatallyougot »

crimson_tide wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:11 pm So I downloaded The Mark of Kri. I already removed it. I LOVE the art style (holy ****, I NEED to do a Rau workout challenge like yesterday, that mofo has my ideal body)...but I don't like the gimmick. The one button per enemy thing got old before I beat the first level. I don't like that this beast of a man has to do all this stealth either. It's not bad at all and I thought after my Assassin’s Creed shenanigans, I would be able to go back but no. I just don't like it. Oh well, time to PS2oose something else. I still have Psychonauts downloaded, maybe that? Sly or Jak is possible, I never really gave those a go. Rogue Galaxy or Devil May Cry are still a possibility...decisions, decisions.
Yeah, I remember the combat being very unique. I finished it, but overall it was just an average game for me. Have you never played a Devil May Cry game? If not, best get to it man! :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Well, you guys have unsold me on The Mark of Kri for my PS2 game. (Assuming I ever finish Octopath and get to one.)

Looks like maybe Onimusha 3? Hmmm....
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Well izzy, DMC 1 didn't grab me. I don't like that kind of camera (I actively avoided games with no camera control in the PS1/2 days). And its style of combat with the timing of buttons with delays is something I never got used to. I tried DMC2 last night and umm...

If it doesn't work, it's the Danny Devito I started blasting meme :P. didn't use my sword at all and just shot everything. And it worked. And I got bored.

I own the whole series through 5 so I will try 3 next. My hope is that they balance it right this time...

Old man, I would love to play Onimusha 3! I think. Is that the Jean Reno whip sword one?
argyle

Post by argyle »

crimson_tide wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:03 pm Well izzy, DMC 1 didn't grab me. I don't like that kind of camera (I actively avoided games with no camera control in the PS1/2 days). And its style of combat with the timing of buttons with delays is something I never got used to. I tried DMC2 last night and umm...

If it doesn't work, it's the Danny Devito I started blasting meme :P. didn't use my sword at all and just shot everything. And it worked. And I got bored.

I own the whole series through 5 so I will try 3 next. My hope is that they balance it right this time...

Old man, I would love to play Onimusha 3! I think. Is that the Jean Reno whip sword one?
I want to say 4 is the first DMC that didn't have a fixed camera? And Onimusha 3 is definitely the Jean Reno one (and the return of Samanosuke!).
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

crimson_tide wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:03 pm Well izzy, DMC 1 didn't grab me. I don't like that kind of camera (I actively avoided games with no camera control in the PS1/2 days). And its style of combat with the timing of buttons with delays is something I never got used to. I tried DMC2 last night and umm...
Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of fixed camera either, especially in *3D* action games, but (for me) the series did enough other things right that I was able to overlook the sometimes frustrating camera. And the first entry, while still great imho, has certainly aged. I think 3 is less dated, for sure, but it has its own issues, to be fair.

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

I just plain suck izzy, I tried 3 last night and got got by the first boss :lol: ! I guess DMC wasn't my summer adventure to PS2oose. Psychonauts I tried again next...I just hate collecting stuff. It's just not my bag. I think I might try and get back into FF12. I never finished it for whatever reason. I tried in 2020 but either Odyssey or P5 Royal dominated my attention instead. I made it to the point I wanted but didn't press forward to the end. That might be a lazy summer endeavor...
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:40 pmI guess DMC wasn't my summer adventure to PS2oose. Psychonauts I tried again next...I just hate collecting stuff. It's just not my bag. I think I might try and get back into FF12. I never finished it for whatever reason.
I never really liked the Devil May Cry games, my favorite is the reboot/remake (DmC) which I finished but I didn’t even really like it all that much either. I played Psychonauts again somewhat recently as well, and found it to be mildly entertaining but I’m not really a fan of collect-a-thon platformers either. I have the sequel, but I’m not sure that I’ll ever play it since it’s a direct continuation to the first game which I’ll probably never play again. I have the remaster of Final Fantasy XII, but I haven’t played it yet. Maybe I should play it now.
isthatallyougot

crimson_tide wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:40 pm I just plain suck izzy, I tried 3 last night and got got by the first boss :lol: ! I guess DMC wasn't my summer adventure to PS2oose. Psychonauts I tried again next...I just hate collecting stuff. It's just not my bag. I think I might try and get back into FF12. I never finished it for whatever reason. I tried in 2020 but either Odyssey or P5 Royal dominated my attention instead. I made it to the point I wanted but didn't press forward to the end. That might be a lazy summer endeavor...
I will admit that there's an awkwardness and learning period to the combat in the beginning. I'm sure you're more than capable, but there's no reason to force yourself if you're not feeling it.

:P

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I started playing Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age as my summer PS2 game.