The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: PS2oose Your Own Summer Adventure!

canedaddy

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: PS2oose Your Own Summer Adventure!

Post by canedaddy »

Like crim, I'm having some issues PS2oosing my own summer adventure. :P

I tried Onimusha 3... that opening cinematic is awesome, but then the game starts and the camera/controls are just unusable. I couldn't figure out how to make my dude fight or move, and he was just spinning around getting killed. :lol:

Then came The Mark of Kri, where I too was lost with the goofy combat setup in the tutorial. Sweep the right stick to light up enemies and then hit X, O or square, but one can be a combo modifier if you do blah blah blah. No thanks.

Then I fired up Hot Shots! Fore, which felt like a not-as-good version of Open Tee 1 & 2 and Everybody's Golf.

The only one I've been able to stick with is The Simpsons: Hit & Run. The combo of old-school Simpsons humor and GTA-lite gameplay hit the spot, at least for one night.
isthatallyougot

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: PS2oose Your Own Summer Adventure!

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:03 pm The only one I've been able to stick with is The Simpsons: Hit & Run. The combo of old-school Simpsons humor and GTA-lite gameplay hit the spot, at least for one night.
I played this way back in the day. I enjoyed the combination of Simpsons and open world GTA stylings, but for whatever reason it just never really excited like I hoped it would. It certainly had its charms and I enjoyed it for what it was, but it was a little hollow for me. Decent fun, just wasn't too memorable for me, in the end. I've sometimes thought about going back to it to see if I felt differently.

I'm curious about your impressions all this time later.

Edit: I'm still having fun with Vexx. Got another couple wraith hearts this morning. Looking around at reviews they seem to be all over the spectrum from worst collectathon platformer ever to a very good example of the genre. It certainly seems to be a game that will land or repulse, depending on the player. It certainly has some issues that I don't like - the camera can be problematic and it's very punitive if you die while in the midst of collecting certain tallies, as it resets those counters. But the platforming is solid and there are some interesting puzzles and a variety of ways to make progress. It's no Mario 64/Sunshine, but that doesn't mean it's not a good game imho,

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:05 pm I played this way back in the day. I enjoyed the combination of Simpsons and open world GTA stylings, but for whatever reason it just never really excited like I hoped it would. It certainly had its charms and I enjoyed it for what it was, but it was a little hollow for me. Decent fun, just wasn't too memorable for me, in the end. I've sometimes thought about going back to it to see if I felt differently.

I'm curious about your impressions all this time later.
Well, I found myself with some gaming time last night, and instead of firing up the PS2 and playing Hit & Run, I watched the World's Strongest Man competition and PBR bull riding. :lol:

I've almost given up on PS2oosing my adventure. I'll go through the box one more time and see if anything grabs me.
isthatallyougot

Well cane, your adventure is finding the adventure. :P

argyle

Post by argyle »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:05 pm Well cane, your adventure is finding the adventure. :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

:lol:

I went through all the PS2 games I own, and it's not looking good as far as games I haven't beaten. I'll fire up the only remaining candidate, Shining Force EX, the next time I have time for gaming, and if that doesn't hit the spot, I'm probably going to do a bastardized PS2oosing of my adventure by playing a remake of a PS2 game (Destroy All Humans or maybe one of the GTAs).
isthatallyougot

You can always replay an old favorite I guess cane. Go ahead and 2oose.

:P

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

I love that 2oose has taken off with our small but mighty crew :lol: !

I am eying Destroy All Humans as well. FF12 is like...hard to figure out man. I would have to restart I think. I gave it 2 hours but it just wasn't clicking. I need more time with it. However...

Rogue Galaxy is looking like what I might be PS2oosing this summer. Somehow. I don't love or hate it but it's very comfy to play. It feels very PS2. I might lose interest at some point but it's got its grubby, giant ass PS2 hands on me at the moment, currently on chapter 3.
isthatallyougot

crimson_tide wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:00 pm Rogue Galaxy is looking like what I might be PS2oosing this summer. Somehow. I don't love or hate it but it's very comfy to play. It feels very PS2. I might lose interest at some point but it's got its grubby, giant ass PS2 hands on me at the moment, currently on chapter 3.
I always wanted to play that. I bought it back when it came out and just let it sit forever. Maybe I'll keep 2oosing when I'm done with Vexx. :P

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

crimson_tide wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:00 pm Rogue Galaxy is looking like what I might be PS2oosing this summer. Somehow. I don't love or hate it but it's very comfy to play. It feels very PS2. I might lose interest at some point but it's got its grubby, giant ass PS2 hands on me at the moment, currently on chapter 3.
I saw you playing that on PSN. It was great stuff at the time, as I recall... although there was one long and annoying dungeon that makes me hesitant to replay it.