The Backlog Check-in Vol. 287: 7/1/23: The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie Edition

canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 287: 7/1/23: The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie Edition

Post by canedaddy »

crimson_tide wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:29 pm how can you be a sexist, belligerent leftist?
Look at any conservative woman's Twitter account and you will see trillions of them. Just sayin'...

argyle wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:19 pm Fantavision has been played to the credits - Fantavision 202x this time. ;) I never would have imagined they'd make a sequel to what's basically an obscure PS2 launch title, and that they'd make one so faithful to the original is even harder to imagine. Down to the quircky retro-future aesthetic and weird cutscenes involving kids calling each other, it's all here. The levels even keep the same themes as the original - you could almost just call this a remake. Whatever you call it, I'm glad I get to play it - it's fantastic. :D
That is great to hear. I need to get it to play on 7/4/24.
Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 287: 7/1/23: The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:39 am:( ...I thought we were cool Phase! I did buy all 4, why you gotta say it like that? :P
You will most likely play all four, I think that I’m going to quit only partway into the first one. I will give it another chance today, but I don’t think that it will matter at this point because I’m just not really enjoying it anymore. I’m curious to see where the story goes and learn more about the sizable cast, but I don’t think that I can keep slogging along in it. I need more actual gameplay in the games that I play, that’s why I’m not a fan of visual novels either. And this pretty much feels like a visual novel a lot of the time, except for that you run a character around environments to trigger the story conversations.
crimson_tide wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:39 amI will likely get back to it, but these Trails games are taking their sweet time. As I understand it, once the thing happens the rest of the games pick up the pace. Which takes until the end of the first game. Which is 60-80 hours. So at my rate...like 2030 something I might finish :lol: . But I like a good game loop. That's how I got roped into Huntdown and Marvel Midnight Suns so hard. They have a very satisfying loop for me. Trails hasn't shown that yet but it could hook me. I guess. Maybe. We'll see.
I like a good game loop as well which is why I played Trails of Cold Steel for 18 hours because I was kind of liking its game loop for a while, but it’s gotten to the point where I’m pretty much tired of its game loop because I just feel like I’m doing the same exact things in the same areas over and over again. The story and character progression are really slow, it took 18 hours just to go on the second field study. I have too many games that I want to play to spend so much time with this one that has a repetitive game loop and moves at a snail’s pace, but I keep at it hoping to finally reach a point where things really pick up because it feels like that’s going to happen at some point.
canedaddy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:35 am
argyle wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:19 pm Fantavision has been played to the credits - Fantavision 202x this time. ;) I never would have imagined they'd make a sequel to what's basically an obscure PS2 launch title, and that they'd make one so faithful to the original is even harder to imagine. Down to the quircky retro-future aesthetic and weird cutscenes involving kids calling each other, it's all here. The levels even keep the same themes as the original - you could almost just call this a remake. Whatever you call it, I'm glad I get to play it - it's fantastic. :D
That is great to hear. I need to get it to play on 7/4/24.
Will your old ass even make it to 7/4/24? :P
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:51 pm Will your old ass even make it to 7/4/24? :P
It's probably a 50-50 proposition. :cry:
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phase & crim, you've both lasted WAY longer w/ Trails than I did - I tried to get into that game at least 3 times over the years and bounced off hard each time. Doubt I ever made it past the 2 hour mark (and probably not that far). Finally admitted defeat a few months back & sold them off for a tidy profit. ;)

And I don't call cane old anymore - mainly because I'm sure we're all older now than he was when we first started calling him "old man". :?
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:04 pmPhase & crim, you've both lasted WAY longer w/ Trails than I did - I tried to get into that game at least 3 times over the years and bounced off hard each time. Doubt I ever made it past the 2 hour mark (and probably not that far). Finally admitted defeat a few months back & sold them off for a tidy profit. ;)
I didn’t realize that you played it before, I assume that you owned all four of the games in the series. I’m glad that you were able to sell them for a profit, and I’m glad that I only bought the first two because I almost bought all four when they were on sale. With that said, I gave it another go today and I just couldn’t spend another minute slogging away in it so I’m officially done playing it at this point.
argyle wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:04 pmAnd I don't call cane old anymore - mainly because I'm sure we're all older now than he was when we first started calling him "old man". :?
I think that he was the one that originally started referring to himself as old, I never really considered him old. Now it’s just a running joke, but I’m fairly certain that despite him being older than me that he’s in better health than me.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:20 pm
argyle wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:04 pmPhase & crim, you've both lasted WAY longer w/ Trails than I did - I tried to get into that game at least 3 times over the years and bounced off hard each time. Doubt I ever made it past the 2 hour mark (and probably not that far). Finally admitted defeat a few months back & sold them off for a tidy profit. ;)
I didn’t realize that you played it before, I assume that you owned all four of the games in the series. I’m glad that you were able to sell them for a profit, and I’m glad that I only bought the first two because I almost bought all four when they were on sale. With that said, I gave it another go today and I just couldn’t spend another minute slogging away in it so I’m officially done playing it at this point.
I think I just had 3 of them, but yeah, I did not find what I played to be appealing at all. I know a lot of people love the series, and that's great, but honestly a series with that many entries that are supposedly one long interconnected story & each one is said to be very long...that sounds more like work than entertainment, and that's assuming I enjoyed the games to begin with.
Phaseknox wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:20 pm
argyle wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:04 pmAnd I don't call cane old anymore - mainly because I'm sure we're all older now than he was when we first started calling him "old man". :?
I think that he was the one that originally started referring to himself as old, I never really considered him old. Now it’s just a running joke, but I’m fairly certain that despite him being older than me that he’s in better health than me.
I didn't mean for that to come off as me chastising you, it was meant in jest. The joke being, we're ALL old men now. :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

argyle wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:00 pm I didn't mean for that to come off as me chastising you, it was meant in jest. The joke being, we're ALL old men now. :P
They're lining us all up:

:P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:04 pm And I don't call cane old anymore - mainly because I'm sure we're all older now than he was when we first started calling him "old man". :?
Ha, well I'm pretty sure none of you is close to the number I will reach two months from now.

:shock:

I'm wayyyy too cool to be that dang old.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:26 pm
argyle wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:04 pm And I don't call cane old anymore - mainly because I'm sure we're all older now than he was when we first started calling him "old man". :?
Ha, well I'm pretty sure none of you is close to the number I will reach two months from now.
I’ll be that old in seven years.