The Backlog Check-in Vol. 288: 7/8/23: Exoprimal Edition

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 288: 7/8/23: Exoprimal Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:34 pm I have a love/hate relationship with a lot of indie games, they are often charming and creative but also often obtuse when it comes to their storytelling. I like piecing together a story if all of the pieces come together at the end, and you figure out what it was all about. I don’t like when at the end the story still makes absolutely no sense because nothing is explained, and you’re meant to interpret it all on your own.

I finished Shady Part of Me, and while it was a great platform puzzle game in terms of art/level/puzzle design it was lacking when it came to actual storytelling and the ending was brief and disappointing. Throughout the entire game it seemed like everything that was happening would make sense at the end, but it basically just ends without explaining squat. Izzy will love the story and ending of the game, and I hope that he plays it so that he can tell me WTF it was all about because I don’t have a clue.
Once again phase, nothing has any "meaning" until assigned via subjective perception/interpretation. Make up your own damn mind. :P

Seriously though, all I could offer is my own lens on the creation - no "better" or "worse" than another. I know you like "concrete clarity" to be served up on a dish, but life ain't work that way. ;)

I do have it in my backlog. Got it for $1 on a fanatical sale. It looks interesting to me, so I'll give it a spin sooner or later. (Oh wait, I was thinking of A Juggler's Tale which you were playing earlier, right?) I do have Shady Part of Me in my backlog too, so I guess the same applies - maybe I'll fire it up before I'm of a more ethereal nature. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:44 amall I could offer is my own lens on the creation - no "better" or "worse" than another. I know you like "concrete clarity" to be served up on a dish, but life ain't work that way. ;)
I was joking about you telling me what the story is about :P, but it’s a video game with a story and characters it’s not life. I like my stories in games and other things like books and movies to make sense. I don’t mind figuring some things out on my own, but I want enough provided to be able to do so. I don’t want to have to intrepid things my own way, I just want to enjoy a good story.
isthatallyougot wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:44 amI do have it in my backlog. Got it for $1 on a fanatical sale. It looks interesting to me, so I'll give it a spin sooner or later. (Oh wait, I was thinking of A Juggler's Tale which you were playing earlier, right?) I do have Shady Part of Me in my backlog too, so I guess the same applies - maybe I'll fire it up before I'm of a more ethereal nature. :P
I have no doubt that you will really like both, especially Shady Part of Me because it’s similar to Fran Bow in some ways.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:28 pm I have no doubt that you will really like both, especially Shady Part of Me because it’s similar to Fran Bow in some ways.
Thanks for the recommendations. Much appreciated.

argyle

Post by argyle »

We're in Greenville SC now, going to the Southeast Game Exchange con in the morning. Drive up was fairly pleasant as far as drives go. :) Really looking forward to the convention - I think I've decided what I'm going to play for my PS2 game, and it should be easy to find & pretty cheap. I played it some back in th day & remember enjoying it, but I never finished it (99% sure on this). Going to keep you guys in suspense for now until I have it in my grubby little hands. :P

On a slightly more expensive PS2 side, I want to complete my PS2 Wild Arms collection if at all possible - I'm missing Alter Code F. I guess the bright side would be that 5 is apparently the REALLY expensive one, but it looks like ACF runs between $100-$150. I have some stuff to trade, so not looking to spend cash (hopefully).
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

argyle wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:49 pm Going to keep you guys in suspense for now until I have it in my grubby little hands. :P

:P

Seriously, I hope it's something excellent.