The Backlog Check-in Vol. 292: 8/5/23: Atlas Fallen Edition

argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 292: 8/5/23: Atlas Fallen Edition

Post by argyle »

crimson_tide wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:10 pm So I really, really tried to like Fenyx Rising but it doesn't look like it is going to land with me. I don't like the upgrade paths, it feels weird in combat and platforming (can't put my finger on what doesn't jive exactly), I don't know how this script and tone got approved to be in the same game, and it's just mid. I feel like there's something here but after nearly 16 hours of playtime over 2 years now, it's time to let go. Shame, the sequel which was cancelled was set to be based on Polynesian mythology. That would have been cool and maybe they could have ironed out the kinks and iterated to make their vision work. Oh well, on to the next adventure.
Wait, they canceled a sequel to Fenyx Rising but approved approximately 50 new Assassin's Creed games?

...f'ing Ubisoft, man...

marge groaning.gif
marge groaning.gif (151.59 KiB) Viewed 13939 times
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Well duh argyle, they HAD to cancel it so those people could exclusively focus on Assassin's Creed games. You know, the series that didn't find wild success until the second game where they iterated on their initial idea and found the formula that worked...oh wait :P .

Seriously though, I only went back because I heard they cancelled the sequel. There is definitely something here. I really hoped they were going to go back to it some day. But nope, all Assassin's Creed all the time.

By the way, I am part of the problem because Valhalla is on my short list to play before summer ends, sorry 😞...
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:10 pmSo I really, really tried to like Fenyx Rising but it doesn't look like it is going to land with me. I don't like the upgrade paths, it feels weird in combat and platforming (can't put my finger on what doesn't jive exactly), I don't know how this script and tone got approved to be in the same game, and it's just mid. I feel like there's something here but after nearly 16 hours of playtime over 2 years now, it's time to let go.
It feels too video game-y to me if that makes sense. The whole thing just feels like a bunch of video game challenges to overcome instead of feeling like an adventure. I like the graphics, gameplay and combat, but just running around open areas basically doing puzzle objectives and going through linear platform/puzzle obstacle courses just wasn’t really doing it for me. The combat is the highlight IMO, but it’s a small part of the overall game which is primarily a platform puzzle game.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I really enjoyed Fenyx Rising and would have been in on a Polynesian sequel on day one. Ah well!
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Yo. Why is the opening to Valhalla THAT preposterous? It goes WAY too hard and reaches the point of parody in literal seconds. I wish this had the tone of Fenyx Rising :lol: .
argyle

Post by argyle »

crimson_tide wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:41 pm Yo. Why is the opening to Valhalla THAT preposterous? It goes WAY too hard and reaches the point of parody in literal seconds. I wish this had the tone of Fenyx Rising :lol: .
I gave up trying to get into Valhalla - that game is the definition of generic. Feels like they loaded up the AC Open World RPG template & just drag & dropped viking crap into it.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

I can definitely see that (especially with how little care they put into that opening) but for dumb power fantasy drop in and go nuts action nonsense, it's what I might be in the market for since the combat is fun but breezy. There's several books I am looking to tear through on Audible before the summer ends in about a month and this is the kind of game that's perfect for listening and playing. I believe my students would call it a podcast or voice chat game. Something they play to keep their hands occupied while they focus on something else entirely. I am going to try Ishin before the weekend is over but I like to focus on my Yakuza/Like A Dragon nonsense so we'll see which one wins.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:56 pm
crimson_tide wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:41 pm Yo. Why is the opening to Valhalla THAT preposterous? It goes WAY too hard and reaches the point of parody in literal seconds. I wish this had the tone of Fenyx Rising :lol: .
I gave up trying to get into Valhalla - that game is the definition of generic. Feels like they loaded up the AC Open World RPG template & just drag & dropped viking crap into it.
Valhalla is basically a viking/Norse mythology version of Odyssey, but feels like a step back instead of a step forward. It plays more clunky and sluggish, and the combat isn’t as good. The overall story and cast of characters are stronger IMO and the graphics are better, but it’s not nearly as fun to play and while the world visually looks better from a technical standpoint it’s not nearly as appealing. It’s dark, depressing, drab and same-y looking throughout. It’s not colorful and vibrant like Odyssey’s world. I enjoyed the game enough to finish it, but it’s a long slog and I was more than ready for it to be over when I reached its conclusion.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

crimson_tide wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:55 pmI am going to try Ishin before the weekend is over but I like to focus on my Yakuza/Like A Dragon nonsense so we'll see which one wins.