The Backlog Check-in Vol. 294: 8/19/23: Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon Edition

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 294: 8/19/23: Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:25 amI don't think I'm an expert on Ubisoft games. I just know what appeals to me and, generally speaking, Ubi's stuff isn't it. I've not played tons of their games, to be fair (although more than 1, ha), but I educate myself about games as a part of my ongoing interest and involvement with this hobby, and I consider myself well-informed via various means (reviews, videos, etc) about what their games are at their essence. For me, they're assembly line examples of efficiency over passion. Products-first rather than craft/art at the fore. That's not to say it's "wrong" to enjoy them, certainly. Big Macs taste good no matter how ubiquitous and formulaic. I just don't want to eat them often, if that makes sense. And I think everyone should enjoy what they enjoy and stay away from that which they don't. Ubi games are popular for a reason, and there's nothing wrong with that. I personally just don't like their approach to design or craft.
I don’t know which Ubisoft games that you’ve played other than the first Assassin’s Creed which almost everyone pretty much agrees isn’t that good, but I know that you haven’t played what I consider to be some of their best games such as Assassin’s Creed II/Brotherhood/Syndicate/Odyssey, Far Cry 3/6, Ghost Recon: Wildlands and Immortals: Fenyx Rising. I don’t know if you would personally like any of those or not, but I don’t consider any of them to really be assembly line, formulaic, or Big Macs of games. I’m not denying that some Ubisoft games fit that criteria even some within the franchises that I mentioned, but it’s definitely not everything that they make.

I’ve learned a long time ago that simply researching games via reviews, videos, etc. isn’t the same as actually playing them for myself. There’s been a lot of games that I thought that I wouldn’t like based on reviews and videos that I ended up liking when I played them, just as there have been a lot of games that I thought that I would like based on reviews and videos that I didn’t when I played them. Of course there have also been games that were pretty much exactly what I was expecting them to be based on reviews and videos, but that isn’t always the case. That’s one of the reasons why I buy so many games, because I know that I won’t truly know what I think of them until I actually play them. Sure a lot of them turn out to be duds and a waste of money, but a lot of them turn out to be hidden gems and some of my favorite games. I hate to think that I might have missed out on them because I let reviews and videos sway my decision of them.

If I have any inkling of an interest in a game then I usually check it out even if it has received a lot of negativity, because (like you’ve said) I’m an outlier and my opinion doesn’t always align with the popular one. But you yourself just recently said that the game Max: The Curse of Brotherhood is better than you were expecting it to be which is something that you wouldn’t have discovered without playing it for yourself, and I’m sure that’s been the case with a lot of other games as well. It definitely has been for me.

Perhaps you’re more perceptive than me when it comes to knowing what will appeal to you or not based strictly on reviews and videos, and that’s a good thing as it prevents you from wasting money and time on games that you won’t like. But for me if something even looks remotely interesting to me I can’t help but check it out even if reviews and videos kind of turn me away, because I’ve learned that there’s always a chance that I’ll end up liking it. Of course a lot of the time I end up not liking it just as much as I expected not to, but that’s a chance that I have to take. With that said, I don’t really feel that you can come to any real concrete decisions and opinions about games unless you’ve actually played them for yourself.
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 294: 8/19/23: Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:02 pm I don’t know which Ubisoft games that you’ve played other than the first Assassin’s Creed which almost everyone pretty much agrees isn’t that good, but I know that you haven’t played what I consider to be some of their best games such as Assassin’s Creed II/Brotherhood/Syndicate/Odyssey, Far Cry 3/6, Ghost Recon: Wildlands and Immortals: Fenyx Rising. I don’t know if you would personally like any of those or not, but I don’t consider any of them to really be assembly line, formulaic, or Big Macs of games. I’m not denying that some Ubisoft games fit that criteria even some within the franchises that I mentioned, but it’s definitely not everything that they make.

I’ve learned a long time ago that simply researching games via reviews, videos, etc. isn’t the same as actually playing them for myself. There’s been a lot of games that I thought that I wouldn’t like based on reviews and videos that I ended up liking when I played them, just as there have been a lot of games that I thought that I would like based on reviews and videos that I didn’t when I played them. Of course there have also been games that were pretty much exactly what I was expecting them to be based on reviews and videos, but that isn’t always the case. That’s one of the reasons why I buy so many games, because I know that I won’t truly know what I think of them until I actually play them. Sure a lot of them turn out to be duds and a waste of money, but a lot of them turn out to be hidden gems and some of my favorite games. I hate to think that I might have missed out on them because I let reviews and videos sway my decision of them.

If I have any inkling of an interest in a game then I usually check it out even if it has received a lot of negativity, because (like you’ve said) I’m an outlier and my opinion doesn’t always align with the popular one. But you yourself just recently said that the game Max: The Curse of Brotherhood is better than you were expecting it to be which is something that you wouldn’t have discovered without playing it for yourself, and I’m sure that’s been the case with a lot of other games as well. It definitely has been for me.

Perhaps you’re more perceptive than me when it comes to knowing what will appeal to you or not based strictly on reviews and videos, and that’s a good thing as it prevents you from wasting money and time on games that you won’t like. But for me if something even looks remotely interesting to me I can’t help but check it out even if reviews and videos kind of turn me away, because I’ve learned that there’s always a chance that I’ll end up liking it. Of course a lot of the time I end up not liking it just as much as I expected not to, but that’s a chance that I have to take. With that said, I don’t really feel that you can come to any real concrete decisions and opinions about games unless you’ve actually played them for yourself.
Sure, I don't always know how I'll feel about a game prior. It can surprise on both ends of the spectrum sometimes. I think I've even mentioned on here that I might try a newer AC game at some point, although I honestly doubt it. They no doubt have high productions values and check off many boxes that can make for a good time. I see that. (And there's just so many other games in my backlog that I'd rather take a chance on.) However, it's hard for me to get past the vibe of their products in my experience, both directly and vicariously. They just reek of (for me) such a cynical and money-first vision in their offerings. I'm sure you heard of this : https://www.destructoid.com/ubisoft-rec ... ry-primal/, and that's just one of so many glaring examples of trying to get maximum return financially on minimal effort and creativity. I love creations driven by passion and sincerity, and *I* don't find that in Ubi's work, generally speaking. And I'm not new to the Ubi hate. I was setting the trends man! :P You can check my post history - not sure if here or elsewhere. Again, to be fair, I've got no issue with anyone enjoying their stuff. I'm glad you, crim, j, and...everyone else here(?) finds their games enjoyable. Love to your love. As noted, *I'm* the outlier and weirdo, it seems. But I'm happy to be what i am, nonetheless. I'll let the world do what it does. It's none of my concern in the end.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:37 pmI love creations driven by passion and sincerity, and *I* don't find that in Ubi's work, generally speaking. And I'm not new to the Ubi hate. I was setting the trends man! :P You can check my post history - not sure if here or elsewhere. Again, to be fair, I've got no issue with anyone enjoying their stuff. I'm glad you, crim, j, and...everyone else here(?) finds their games enjoyable. Love to your love. As noted, *I'm* the outlier and weirdo, it seems. But I'm happy to be what i am, nonetheless. I'll let the world do what it does. It's none of my concern in the end.
You say that you don’t find passion and sincerity in Ubisoft’s work, but how much of their work have you experienced firsthand to come to that conclusion? I don’t entirely disagree with you of course, but as someone who’s played a good amount of their games I do feel that some of them show passion and sincerity. However, I also don’t deny that they primarily make big, entertaining, dumb fun and sometimes by the numbers games for a large audience that aren’t art or passion projects which I’m perfectly fine with because sometimes that’s exactly what I’m in the mood for.

By the way, you’re not really an outlier or weirdo for not liking them because a lot of gamers don’t like them as they feel that their games are commercial and mainstream meant for the unwashed masses. But I feel that they receive a little more hate than they deserve at times, because they definitely have some diamonds in the rough which is more than I can say for other big game companies like Activision and EA who rarely put out anything of real substance or worth anymore IMO.
isthatallyougot

It's kind of funny we're talking about Ubi. I had been thinking about finally playing Prince of Persia (2008) since I've had it forever. Granted it's not one of their "flagship" series, but I've thought I would enjoy that one. I only played the original (reboot) on PS2, despite having Warrior Within and whatever the third one was called in my backlog.

But as to the broader topic, I don't have anything to add. We all have our own opinions, none better or worse than another. But it's nice that we can discuss and appreciate how different we all are in terms of our enjoyment of this hobby, as well as the fact that this medium has such a wealth of creative expression that appeals to such a broad spectrum of hobbyists. Life would be so excruciatingly boring without all that contrast (and sometimes drama :P).

I'm still enjoying Animal Crossing Wild World. It's one of those games that is a slow burn kind of fun where things just gradually seep into you until you find yourself always returning to it. I've got some issues with it, just like I did with the Cube version, but it certainly has its charms.

Speaking of slow burn, I also started up Ken Follet's The Pillars of the Earth. It's a point and click based upon a novel and it has a medieval setting where there is all sorts of paranoia, superstition and intrigue surrounding the church and various priories as well as the overall, and intimately connected, politics and royalty of England. It's fiction mixed with history and the voice acting is really well done, which I greatly appreciate. And the graphics are a kind of watercolor that suit the overall gloomy and oppressive vibes. Really excited to see this one unfold.

And I'm still working on Max: The Curse of Brotherhood and it is continuing to impress both in terms of presentation and mechanics. What a hidden gem of a game!

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:03 amIt's kind of funny we're talking about Ubi. I had been thinking about finally playing Prince of Persia (2008) since I've had it forever. Granted it's not one of their "flagship" series, but I've thought I would enjoy that one. I only played the original (reboot) on PS2, despite having Warrior Within and whatever the third one was called in my backlog.
Prince of Persia was one of Ubisoft’s flagship franchises back in the day up until they basically replaced it with Assassin’s Creed. I like all of the PoP games, especially the original trilogy. I also really like the 2008 reboot/reimagining as well, and I think that you might too. It has a great cel shaded art style, and a fairly unconventional design structure for an action platformer. Ubisoft released one more PoP game after it called The Forgotten Sands which is similar to the original trilogy, and I really like it as well.
isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:03 amWe all have our own opinions, none better or worse than another. But it's nice that we can discuss and appreciate how different we all are in terms of our enjoyment of this hobby, as well as the fact that this medium has such a wealth of creative expression that appeals to such a broad spectrum of hobbyists.
I agree, we’re all into what we’re into for our own reasons and have our own little quirks as well. That’s part of what makes us who we are as individuals. I like that I’m able to discuss gaming at online message forums such as this with people such as yourself who are also passionate about it, because I rarely get to outside of here.
isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:03 amI'm still enjoying Animal Crossing Wild World. It's one of those games that is a slow burn kind of fun where things just gradually seep into you until you find yourself always returning to it.
I’ve never played an Animal Crossing game before, but I have New Horizons for my Switch Lite that my sister gave me. I plan on checking it out at some point since I’m curious about it.
isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:03 amI also started up Ken Follet's The Pillars of the Earth. It's a point and click based upon a novel and it has a medieval setting where there is all sorts of paranoia, superstition and intrigue surrounding the church and various priories as well as the overall, and intimately connected, politics and royalty of England. It's fiction mixed with history and the voice acting is really well done, which I greatly appreciate. And the graphics are a kind of watercolor that suit the overall gloomy and oppressive vibes. Really excited to see this one unfold.
I have this in my backlog, and I plan on playing it when the mood strikes me.
isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:03 amI'm still working on Max: The Curse of Brotherhood and it is continuing to impress both in terms of presentation and mechanics. What a hidden gem of a game!
You seem to have been playing this for a while now, is it a long game?
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:51 pm You seem to have been playing this for a while now, is it a long game?
No, I don't think so. I'm just slow / playing sporadically with other stuff. I'm a little over three hours in and I think it's a sub-10 hour game.

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:51 pm
isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:03 amIt's kind of funny we're talking about Ubi. I had been thinking about finally playing Prince of Persia (2008) since I've had it forever. Granted it's not one of their "flagship" series, but I've thought I would enjoy that one. I only played the original (reboot) on PS2, despite having Warrior Within and whatever the third one was called in my backlog.
Prince of Persia was one of Ubisoft’s flagship franchises back in the day up until they basically replaced it with Assassin’s Creed. I like all of the PoP games, especially the original trilogy. I also really like the 2008 reboot/reimagining as well, and I think that you might too. It has a great cel shaded art style, and a fairly unconventional design structure for an action platformer. Ubisoft released one more PoP game after it called The Forgotten Sands which is similar to the original trilogy, and I really like it as well.

I really enjoyed all the PoP games. Sad that the prince gave way to all the Assassin's Creed crap.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I started playing Elex, and I already quit because you play as a generic gravely/gruff speaking bald space marine alpha male type character which I found unappealing immediately. If you played as a female character or could choose to play as one then I would have stuck with it, because it seems like a decent third person open world action RPG but the main character unfortunately ruined it for me.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:30 pm I started playing Elex, and I already quit because you play as a generic gravely/gruff speaking bald space marine alpha male type character which I found unappealing immediately. If you played as a female character or could choose to play as one then I would have stuck with it, because it seems like a decent third person open world action RPG but the main character unfortunately ruined it for me.
I have to admit, phase, I don't understand your requirement to play as a female, but if that's what makes you happy. I just want to play fun games, and ELEX was a really fun game to me. It had its issues, and Jax is a gruff, generic avatar at the outset, but the world is huge, a blast to explore, and there's such a sense of character growth and progression that was so satisfying, not to mention the awesome jetpack you're always using. The combat could be clunky in spots, but it worked fine functionally. Anyway, I'm sorry you'll miss out because of such a (to me) small issue. If you drop a game too quickly, you never allow it a chance to show you its charms. Of course, we all have our own deal breakers, so yeah, it is what it is.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:29 amI have to admit, phase, I don't understand your requirement to play as a female, but if that's what makes you happy. I just want to play fun games, and ELEX was a really fun game to me. It had its issues, and Jax is a gruff, generic avatar at the outset, but the world is huge, a blast to explore, and there's such a sense of character growth and progression that was so satisfying, not to mention the awesome jetpack you're always using. The combat could be clunky in spots, but it worked fine functionally. Anyway, I'm sorry you'll miss out because of such a (to me) small issue. If you drop a game too quickly, you never allow it a chance to show you its charms. Of course, we all have our own deal breakers, so yeah, it is what it is.
Disliking the character that you play as in a game isn’t a small issue to me, because if I don’t like the character that I’m playing as in a game then I have no interest in playing it. When I play a game I basically become the main character in it, and I need to like them to want to spend any time with them. This applies more to story and character driven action adventure games and RPGs, but it also applies to other genres such as action games, first person shooters, Metroidvanias and platformers as well just not quite to the same degree.

I want to like who I’m playing as in a game, the character that I play as is a big part of my overall enjoyment. I know that for some people that they can play as a stick and still be satisfied just as long as a game is fun, but that’s not the case for me. A game’s character is an important aspect of a game for me, and I need to like them in order for me to enjoy it.

I just happen to prefer female characters to male ones, because I don’t really like playing as dudes in games anymore. This hasn’t always been the case because I used to be fine playing as guys in games back in the day, but for some reason over the years I stopped liking playing as them more and more to the point now where I pretty much don’t want to play as them at all. There are exceptions of course such as with games like Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, The Last of Us Part I, Uncharted and Yakuza where only male leads really work within the stories being told and they’re likable characters for the most part. But overall I prefer playing as female characters because I tend to find them more appealing to look at, have better personalities than one dimensional male tough guys and are often more acrobatic, agile, athletic, fast and quick which I prefer to more muscular, sluggish and tank-y male characters.