The Backlog Check-in Vol. 305: 11/4/23: Call of Duty: MW3/Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 305: 11/4/23: Call of Duty: MW3/Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Deliver Us Mars, Persona 5 Royal

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Deliver Us Mars

Added: Ashina: The Red Witch, Deliver Us Mars, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Gylt, Lost Words: Beyond the Page, Regalia: Of Men and Monarchs, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

I played Persona 5 Royal for 30 hours, and while I was enjoying it I wasn’t prepared to put another 100 hours into it right now with so many other games that I’m interested in playing at this time. So I quit playing it, and I will play it again another time. I’m buying Persona 4 Golden this week because it’s on sale, and I plan on playing it soonish because I didn’t finish it back when I originally played it on PS2.

I started playing Deliver Us Mars, and I’ve been enjoying it. It’s a sequel to Deliver Us the Moon which I never played, but while there are some references to that game it’s not necessary to play it since Deliver Us Mars takes place 10 years after it and has a separate story and new cast of characters. It’s a linear story/character driven third/first person sci-if adventure with climbing/platforming and puzzle solving. It’s an indie game developed by a small dev team from the Netherlands so it’s a little low budget and rough around the edges, but still quite entertaining. The story, environment graphics, voice acting and music are all really good, but unfortunately the character models look pretty bad. The story is the main draw of the game, but tgere’s some varied gameplay on offer as well such as environment interaction with climbing/platforming and puzzle solving. There’s no combat, but it’s primarily a narrative adventure game with light gameplay elements. The story has me intrigued, and wanting to see what happens next and where it goes.

Games releasing this week
Air Twister
Age of Wonders 4: Empires & Ashes
The Awakener: Forgotten Oath
Bem Feito
Berzerk: Recharged
Beyond Sunset
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III
Catan: Console Edition
Crusader Kings III: Legacy of Persia
Cuisineer
Devil Engine: Complete Edition
Double Dragon Advance
Double Dragon Collection
Dungeons 4
Europa Universalis IV: King of Kings
Football Manager 2024
The Forest Cathedral
Gatekeeper: Infinity
Grace of Letoile
Greed is Good
Gunhead
The Invincible
Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name
Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl 2
9 Years of Shadows
Ocelot Sunrise
Risk of Rain Returns
Roboquest
Sanabi
Sega Racing Classics 2
SpellForce: Conquest of Eo
Spells & Secrets
Stronghold: Definitive Edition
Super Double Dragon
Tales of Arise - Beyond the Dawn
Tintin Reporter: Cigars of the Pharaoh
The Trotties Adventure
Twilight Wars
Undercat
Virche Evermore: -ErroR:salvation-
What the Duck
While the Iron’s Hot
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 305: 11/4/23: Call of Duty: MW3/Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name Edition

Post by argyle »

Games added: My Time At Portia, Jet Kave Adventure, Good Night Knight (all three combined for <$5 from a really good Switch sale), Demon Throttle, Endless Dungeon, Spider-Man 2

Last week: Finished nothing, played Alan Wake Remastered, Mario Wonder, and just a LITTLE Spidy 2

This week: Same

I'm in the last chapter of Alan Wake now, then I have the DLC to play through so I should definitely wrap that up this week. Taking my time with Mario, a couple levels here & there. Still really fun stuff there. :) Grabbed Spidy in the Target b2g1 sale (other 2 games from that buy had to be shipped, so they'll show up later this week).

Walking Dead is my current "daily achievement" Gamepass game. Story's interesting so far, so I may stick with it.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 305: 11/4/23: Call of Duty: MW3/Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name Edition

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:30 am Walking Dead is my current "daily achievement" Gamepass game. Story's interesting so far, so I may stick with it.
The old Telltale series? I played the first season and really enjoyed it, but never did anything after that.

Played recently: Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 34

Still having a great time with Amalur. Recently finished up the Scholia Arcana quests and decided to jump into the Dead Kel DLC before moving on. But I will take a break if the gang is up for a DQ Builders 2 thing.
argyle

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:05 am
argyle wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:30 am Walking Dead is my current "daily achievement" Gamepass game. Story's interesting so far, so I may stick with it.
The old Telltale series? I played the first season and really enjoyed it, but never did anything after that.
Yeah, same here. The Xbox Rewards app gives you "missions" to complete each week to get points, usually something simple in a random Gamepass game. Last week it was make x number of decisions in this WD game. Figured I'd just do that & be done, but I kinda got invested in the story.
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:05 am
argyle wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:30 amWalking Dead is my current "daily achievement" Gamepass game. Story's interesting so far, so I may stick with it.
I have all of the Telltale Walking Dead games, but I only played the first season which I really liked. I plan on marathoning all of them when the mood strikes me, the same with all of the Yakuza games as well.
canedaddy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:05 amStill having a great time with Amalur. Recently finished up the Scholia Arcana quests and decided to jump into the Dead Kel DLC before moving on. But I will take a break if the gang is up for a DQ Builders 2 thing.
After I finish Deliver Us Mars I was thinking of starting Persona 4 Golden, I don’t think that I’m really in the mood for Dragon Quest Builders 2 right now but we’ll see.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Code Name: STEAM, Spider-man 2

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 42 games

Just 2 chapters left in Code Name: STEAM - the end is in sight! Also, will download Like a Dragon Gaiden later this week and I may actually start that before Spider-man 2.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I still haven't gone back to Broken Age. I've just gotten into one of those frames of mind where I'm frustrated at being stuck and won't look at a guide. I will finish it soon one way or another though. I'm sure I'm pretty close to the end anyway.

I'm also still plugging away at getting higher ranks on Elite Beat Agents. So fun.

I also started up Mystery Dungeon : Shiren The Wanderer, and that is really scratching me where I itch. It's a pretty challenging roguelike on the DS. (for some reason I've been playing a lot of old DS games this year.) You're trying to make this trek to the land of the Golden Condor. Every level is randomized in terms of loot, enemies and whatnot, being a roguelike and it can be very punishing. If you die, you lose all your levels and equipment and items and it's back to the beginning. Eventually you learn how to be more methodical and patient and start making progress and start upgrading and saving some items/equipment in a place where you can hold things that aren't susceptible to vanishing upon death. But storage is limited. It's got a great personality with some nice pixel graphics and chip tunes and has some fun humor to go along with the whole package. Anyone who enjoys the genre and hasn't played it ought to give it a shot imho.

I think I'll pass on the DQ builders game club this time, if you guys decide to do it. I'm trying to wrap up a few things before the end of the year as well as being in the thick of a few other titles. Maybe next time. If you guys do it, I'll love to hear your impressions though.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Post by argyle »

So I was playing DQ Builders 2 on the Xbox before through Gamepass. Well...it's not on Gamepass anymore, and I don't want to start over from the beginning. Also also, Squeenix never released it physically for the Xbox, so my only hope of getting it for a decent price is a Xbox store sale. So I'm in a holding pattern on that one - hopefully it will go on sale sometime this month, but we'll see.

argyle

Post by argyle »

Just finished the main game in Alan Wake Remastered. Now I just gotta play the DLC.

Thinking about finishing up Like A Dragon next (the first one), because I'm in the mood for a turn-based RPG and I really wanna play Infinite Wealth. Gonna skip Gaiden & Ishi, I've determined they just put out too many Yakuza games for me - I feel like I'd have to play nothing BUT Yakuza if I wanted to keep up. :P

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:45 pmThinking about finishing up Like A Dragon next (the first one), because I'm in the mood for a turn-based RPG and I really wanna play Infinite Wealth. Gonna skip Gaiden & Ishi, I've determined they just put out too many Yakuza games for me - I feel like I'd have to play nothing BUT Yakuza if I wanted to keep up. :P
I have Yakuza 1-6 to play which I plan on playing back to back like one really long game, I also have Like a Dragon and both Judgment games and I’m going to get Infinite Wealth. I’m going to have to devote an entire year to just playing them. :P