The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: No seriously, how the hell have I not played this yet?

isthatallyougot

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: No seriously, how the hell have I not played this yet?

Post by isthatallyougot »

I finished up Kuon last night. It clocked in at a little over 14 hours in the end. Nice length for the genre. It had an additional phase after the yin and yang phases...the "kuon" phase, appropriately enough. Overall, it was a great entry in the survival horror genre. I'll have to marinate on it a bit before I'm ready to review it and slot in into my 2023 rankings, but it was most definitely worth a play. Thank you guys for voting it in for me, even if nobody ranked it #1. :P I'll have to trust you guys with my next game.

Maybe I'll work on that list right now. I liked argyle's suggestion of choosing from a list of potential replays, but I'm not in the mood for retreading my steps at the moment, so I'll come up with 10 freshies, and let you guys have at 'em!

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
isthatallyougot

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: No seriously, how the hell have I not played this yet?

Ok, here's my next list. No rush, I know we just did it, and if any of you don't want to bother ranking them, just let me know.

NO ORDER OF PREFERENCE:

+ Legend Bowl (PC) - I had this on my wishlist ever since it dropped and after they added a franchise mode and I saw it on sale in a recent Steam sale for a historical low price, I had to pick it up.

+ Aeon of Sands – The Trail (PC) - An old-school inspired dungeon crawler that has a style that I really dig.

+ Wall World (PC) - A rogue-lite / tower defense with an interesting premise and presentation.

+ Windbound (PC) - A Breath of the Wild homage with sailing between various islands.

+ Magna Carta Tears of Blood (PS2) - I know it had a mixed reception, but I've always been curious about it.

+ Shadow Tower (PS1) - Old-school King's Field-like from FROM. (Japanese trailer, but obviously I'd be playing the NTSC release.)

+ Songbird Symphony (PC) - Musical metroidvania with very positive reviews.

+ Rain World (PC) - survival platformer, exploration game with a living ecosystem

+ Pharaonic (PC) - 2D Egyptian themed souls-like

Beautiful Desolation (PC) - Isometric point n click adventure in a unique world

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

I have never heard of any of these :P ! I will check out the videos tonight at home and give you a ranking izzy :) .
isthatallyougot

crimson_tide wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:16 am I have never heard of any of these :P ! I will check out the videos tonight at home and give you a ranking izzy :) .
Cool. I'm looking forward to your rankings. (there are so many games out in the world now, that it's truly impossible to keep up with all the good stuff)

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

I gotta look up more games? :lol: I thought you were just gonna play the game that finished 2nd in your previous list.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

1. Windbound - that looks really dang cool. It's very Zelda so I would bounce off but go for it!

2. Songbid Symphony - it looks cute and dumb. There's a lot going on there.

3. Shadow Tower - You like your From and would have the patience for this.

4. Legend Bowl - I think you like the pigskin. Doesn't do it for me but I'd you are down for the sun, go for it

5. Wall World - Like Songbid Symphony, looks like goofy fun.

6. Magna Carta - Looks really mid from that trailer. And being a PS2 rpg I never heard of is.... weird.

7. Rain World - Not my jam but didn't offend. It may be your jam!

8. Beautiful Desolation - You just did Broken Cycle or whatever and seemed to get frustrated. I would hate for you to have a similar experience with one of these at our suggestion.

9. Aeon of Sands - Did nothing for me.

10. Pharoanic - Just didn't like it at all. Very unappealing for a variety of reasons.

There's my picks fam!
isthatallyougot

jfissel wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:13 pm I gotta look up more games? :lol: I thought you were just gonna play the game that finished 2nd in your previous list.

:P

All the losers from last round...into the fire! :P Although that's a good idea. Maybe a future rank 'em could be a collection of the highest scoring losers. But, if you don't want to do it, no sweat. I didn't want anyone to have to search for anything, so that's why I put the videos in the post. Or if you're really lazy you can just put the titles in a randomizer and spit it back out to me. :P (Shh, don't tell anyone!) If you want to opt out though, just say the word brother.

crimson_tide wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:00 pm 1. Windbound - that looks really dang cool. It's very Zelda so I would bounce off but go for it!

2. Songbid Symphony - it looks cute and dumb. There's a lot going on there.

3. Shadow Tower - You like your From and would have the patience for this.

4. Legend Bowl - I think you like the pigskin. Doesn't do it for me but I'd you are down for the sun, go for it

5. Wall World - Like Songbid Symphony, looks like goofy fun.

6. Magna Carta - Looks really mid from that trailer. And being a PS2 rpg I never heard of is.... weird.

7. Rain World - Not my jam but didn't offend. It may be your jam!

8. Beautiful Desolation - You just did Broken Cycle or whatever and seemed to get frustrated. I would hate for you to have a similar experience with one of these at our suggestion.

9. Aeon of Sands - Did nothing for me.

10. Pharoanic - Just didn't like it at all. Very unappealing for a variety of reasons.

There's my picks fam!
Thanks for the input crim! That's one down. I'll stick the ranks in the sheet.

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:48 pm
jfissel wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:13 pm I gotta look up more games? :lol: I thought you were just gonna play the game that finished 2nd in your previous list.

:P

All the losers from last round...into the fire! :P Although that's a good idea. Maybe a future rank 'em could be a collection of the highest scoring losers. But, if you don't want to do it, no sweat. I didn't want anyone to have to search for anything, so that's why I put the videos in the post. Or if you're really lazy you can just put the titles in a randomizer and spit it back out to me. :P (Shh, don't tell anyone!) If you want to opt out though, just say the word brother.
:lol:

And no, I take my game-selecting responsibilities seriously. 8-)
argyle

Post by argyle »

I see this whole process as a way to clean out the crevices of our backlogs. So it should be a very fluid process - whatever works for you to accomplish that, whether it's choosing a new list or picking #2 in the previous, go for it. :)

patrick zen.gif
patrick zen.gif (360.4 KiB) Viewed 157789 times
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I played a tiny bit of Yakuza: Like a Dragon yesterday, and the first taste of turn-based combat (in the tutorial) was an immediate turnoff. I'm so used to actively beating up dudes in Kamurocho, bashing bikes over their heads and whatnot. This will take some getting used to.