The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: No seriously, how the hell have I not played this yet?

isthatallyougot

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: No seriously, how the hell have I not played this yet?

Post by isthatallyougot »

jfissel wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:01 pm :lol:

And no, I take my game-selecting responsibilities seriously. 8-)

Well, I look forward to your rankings. And here's a pro-tip for any who choose to engage in ongoing participation. If I'm coming back too quick with ranking requests, check the howlongtobeat info for the games and stick me with the longest one possible. :P
argyle wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:36 am I see this whole process as a way to clean out the crevices of our backlogs. So it should be a very fluid process - whatever works for you to accomplish that, whether it's choosing a new list or picking #2 in the previous, go for it. :)

patrick zen.gif

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Re: The PS2 Backlog Committee Game Club Presents: No seriously, how the hell have I not played this yet?

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:17 am I played a tiny bit of Yakuza: Like a Dragon yesterday, and the first taste of turn-based combat (in the tutorial) was an immediate turnoff. I'm so used to actively beating up dudes in Kamurocho, bashing bikes over their heads and whatnot. This will take some getting used to.
I recall similar thoughts, however the combat is fun on its own and there is still Gaiden which has real-time action.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:13 pmI gotta look up more games? :lol: I thought you were just gonna play the game that finished 2nd in your previous list.
That’s what I thought as well, I don’t get why we need to rank another 10 games when we just ranked 10. Why not just play one of the other 9 games that we just ranked?
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:06 pm
jfissel wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:13 pmI gotta look up more games? :lol: I thought you were just gonna play the game that finished 2nd in your previous list.
That’s what I thought as well, I don’t get why we need to rank another 10 games when we just ranked 10. Why not just play one of the other 9 games that we just ranked?
You don't *need* to do anything, lol. I thought crim had a good idea that was fun for us all. You and j. expressed reluctance and cane can't even be bothered to respond at all, ha. I didn't want this to be a laborious chore. To me it was fun, both choosing and getting games chosen for me, but it's no big deal. I don't have a problem choosing my own games. It was a fun one-off though.

argyle

Post by argyle »

isthatallyougot wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:26 am
You don't *need* to do anything, lol. I thought crim had a good idea that was fun for us all. You and j. expressed reluctance and cane can't even be bothered to respond at all, ha. I didn't want this to be a laborious chore. To me it was fun, both choosing and getting games chosen for me, but it's no big deal. I don't have a problem choosing my own games. It was a fun one-off though.
FWIW:

1) Rain World - this looks like it'd be right up your alley, and I'm curious about it as well
2) Aeon of Sands - the type of RPG I cut my teeth on
3) Songbird Symphony - also in my backlog
4) Windbound - looks interesting, I love the style
5) Beautiful Desolation - Never heard of this one, but it also looks interesting

I don't have a strong opinion on the rest. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

argyle wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:55 am FWIW:

1) Rain World - this looks like it'd be right up your alley, and I'm curious about it as well
2) Aeon of Sands - the type of RPG I cut my teeth on
3) Songbird Symphony - also in my backlog
4) Windbound - looks interesting, I love the style
5) Beautiful Desolation - Never heard of this one, but it also looks interesting

I don't have a strong opinion on the rest. :)
I appreciate it argyle, but there's clearly not enough interest to keep this going, at least in a regular fashion, and we're such a small community that it's not worth it to try and keep it up imho.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:26 am
I was under the impression that the 10 games that we originally ranked for you were the next 10 games that you were interested in playing which is why you chose them. I didn’t realize that you were going to want us to rank 10 new games each and every time that you finished one.

Trying to rank 10 games most of which I haven’t played myself or that I’m unfamiliar with isn’t very fun to me. I’ve only played 2 of the 10 new games that you want us to rank, and I’m not really familiar with the others. Ranking games based solely on watching trailers, gameplay videos and video reviews is kind of awkward to me.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:16 pm I was under the impression that the 10 games that we originally ranked for you were the next 10 games that you were interested in playing which is why you chose them. I didn’t realize that you were going to want us to rank 10 new games each and every time that you finished one.

Trying to rank 10 games most of which I haven’t played myself or that I’m unfamiliar with isn’t very fun to me. I’ve only played 2 of the 10 new games that you want us to rank, and I’m not really familiar with the others. Ranking games based solely on watching trailers, gameplay videos and video reviews is kind of awkward to me.
No big deal phase. I don't think our small community has enough interest to persist with such a thing. And if it's not everyone doing it, there just isn't enough weight and variety to the voting to make it interesting. I decided to try out the same idea on D-pad. (I don't know if any of you guys are members there, but if so, you must go as a different user.) And I've gotten more response, albeit not to the degree I was hoping, but enough to keep it interesting.

I think what I'm going to do in the future is to use a random generator to pull 10 games out of my entire backlog and then randomize those 10 games ten times to pick for me. I just enjoy the aspect of not knowing what I'm going to be playing next. It's like a fun little surprise/present.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:45 amI think what I'm going to do in the future is to use a random generator to pull 10 games out of my entire backlog and then randomize those 10 games ten times to pick for me. I just enjoy the aspect of not knowing what I'm going to be playing next. It's like a fun little surprise/present.
I couldn’t do that myself, because what I play is based on what I’m in the mood for at the time. The same is true for what albums that I listen to, and what shows and movies that I watch. It’s all based on mood, so I couldn’t choose randomly.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:12 pm Ok, here's my next list. No rush, I know we just did it, and if any of you don't want to bother ranking them, just let me know.

NO ORDER OF PREFERENCE:
Sorry, took me a few days to respond!

Windbound (PC)
Wall World (PC)
Legend Bowl (PC)
Shadow Tower (PS1)
Pharaonic (PC)
Aeon of Sands – The Trail (PC)
Beautiful Desolation (PC)
Songbird Symphony (PC)
Rain World (PC)
Magna Carta Tears of Blood (PS2)