The Backlog Check-in Vol. 311: 12/16/23: The Rumble Fish+ Edition

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 311: 12/16/23: The Rumble Fish+ Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

argyle wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:20 pm Hey now - there was a new Sonic game released this year! :P

:P
argyle wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:20 pm I glanced over my list, and this is the first year in a long time that I'm gonna have a hard time narrowing down my list to 10. I played a lot of really good games this year. :)
You could just do what I do and post it *all*. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I got to play a few more hours of Windbound, and I'm really digging it. It's got a roguelike aspect to it (on survivalist, which I'm playing) where you lose your boat and everything you haven't stored in "held" items (as well as keeping your permanent upgrades and equipment that you acquire along the way.) along with being returned back to the beginning of chapter 1 if you die. I only died once early in chapter 1, so I didn't lose much progress. But, it's one of those games where it's simply a chill and relaxing experience because of the setting and mood, despite the challenge, so it doesn't feel overly harsh to die, at least for me. But there is also a "storyteller" difficulty that won't send you back to the beginning of chapter one, although I do believe you still lose your boat and have to build a new one. There are different types of boats to build as well, from simple straw canoes that you paddle by oar and larger sailing vessels that you must account for the winds, appropriately enough, when utilizing. The sailing/rowing can feel slow as you search for more islands, but again, the mood (at least for me) makes it relaxing and fun as I search for new destinations. Anyone who enjoys the open water / oceans will probably enjoy the sensations here. There's also some story telling, but it's very minimal and interpretive - not so much talky-talky, which is perfect to me. I'm going to have to start letting everyone else pick my games from now on, lol. I feel like Miyamoto is being channeled through the gaming community's selections for me.

"You don't know what you rike" :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:32 pm The sailing/rowing can feel slow as you search for more islands, but again, the mood (at least for me) makes it relaxing and fun as I search for new destinations. Anyone who enjoys the open water / oceans will probably enjoy the sensations here. There's also some story telling, but it's very minimal and interpretive - not so much talky-talky, which is perfect to me.

Sold!
argyle

Post by argyle »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:08 am You could just do what I do and post it *all*. :P
I have actually considered that - we'll see. ;)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis