Metal Mind
Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 312: 12/23/23: Christmas Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Merry Xmas fam!

I got a Steam Deck for Xmas. It's proving problematic because I don't know whether to buy games on it or on PSN. I didn't realize they ran the same sales. Also, some are cheaper like the MM Battle Network Collection which is the $30 I am willing to pay AND that one is portable. The other issue I am having is the games I want to play don't all work on the Steam Deck like Dragon Age Inquisition and the FF13 trilogy. Still looking forward to fiddling with it when it arrivess Wednesday :) !
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

:shock: WAIT, IZZY.& ARGYLE..can I buy humble bundles now since I have a Steam Deck? That would be awesome 😎!!!
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

crimson_tide wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:58 pm Merry Xmas fam!

I got a Steam Deck for Xmas. It's proving problematic because I don't know whether to buy games on it or on PSN. I didn't realize they ran the same sales. Also, some are cheaper like the MM Battle Network Collection which is the $30 I am willing to pay AND that one is portable. The other issue I am having is the games I want to play don't all work on the Steam Deck like Dragon Age Inquisition and the FF13 trilogy. Still looking forward to fiddling with it when it arrivess Wednesday :) !
crimson_tide wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:11 pm :shock: WAIT, IZZY.& ARGYLE..can I buy humble bundles now since I have a Steam Deck? That would be awesome 😎!!!
Crim, crim...crim. Your gaming life and, by extension, backlog are about to crush you beneath their incomprehensibly enourmous weight.

Even if some games aren't compatible with the Deck, the bundles are so cheap that you can just hold the rest for when/if (if you don't already) you have a gaming pc. I'd also recommend checking out Fanatical bundles. And many use CDkeys, although they are kind of a grey market. (I think they purchase boxed copies from other regions where they can get them ridiculously cheap and resell them in higher priced markets. Personally I don't use them because of that, but many do.)

Also make this site your friend any time you are interested in checking historical low prices or just looking for a good deal on a new game for your Deck/PC - https://gg.deals/

They have tons of ways to sort things to find just what you're looking for. The filters are ridiculously thorough. So use them.

Let us know when you get divorced.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
isthatallyougot

Oh, and Windbound is awesome! Man, the sense of adventure and exploration are just incredible. I won't spoil things, but I'd recommend it to anyone with one *big* caveat. You absolutely, unequivocally, without the slightest reservations MUST be PATIENT as a gamer. I understand why it got such mixed reviews, especially in this day and age. I'm not saying it has no other rough edges or quirks. It does and it's from a small team. However, the sense of wanderlust and mood are a particularly unique flavor that I'm not sure I've ever experienced in another game in this exact way.

But, there are many long stretches where you'll just be out in the open ocean looking for new islands or various other places. You'll be moving at what can sometimes feel like a snail's pace over the wide open spaces. For *me*, it facilitates the sensation of a grand adventure, vast in scope and consequence. But in this quick-camera-cut, hyper-stimulation, look-at-your-phone-every-10-seconds world, it's surely a *much* different pace and vibe. And this is particularly true on survivalist mode where dying sends you all the way back to the beginning of chapter 1 and only to hold onto a handful of items and any "blessings" you've acquired. (which are very useful, to be fair) I was well into chapter 3 (of 5, it seems) and got killed and it was time to begin yet again. I've had to go back to the beginning probably 5 or six times. I'm currently in chapter 4 and have learned to take things with much greater foresight and caution though. But I'm anticipating another death. I almost died at the boss between chapter 3 and 4, and was so relieved to make it through.

I've already put 20+ hours into it, and am thinking about it when not playing - always a good sign. Anyway, I'm not sure who, if anyone here, would enjoy it like I do, but if it clicks for you, you'll be grateful you gave it a try. I have tons more to say about it, but I'll probably wait until my 2024 reviews.

Phase - don't play it. (I know you briefly sampled it.)

Girl protagonist - yes.

Mute protagonist, also yes. Slow and plodding - you have no idea and your brain would melt. Challenging and not too much hand holding - yep.

Here me now - stay away. Or play it and tell us how much you hate it! :P

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Spider-Man 2

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 42 games

Just got back from a trip to see the family. Played a bit of Spider-Man 2 last week prior to leaving, will try to get the story done this week.
isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:50 pm Oh, and Windbound is awesome! Man, the sense of adventure and exploration are just incredible. I won't spoil things, but I'd recommend it to anyone with one *big* caveat. You absolutely, unequivocally, without the slightest reservations MUST be PATIENT as a gamer. I understand why it got such mixed reviews, especially in this day and age. I'm not saying it has no other rough edges or quirks. It does and it's from a small team. However, the sense of wanderlust and mood are a particularly unique flavor that I'm not sure I've ever experienced in another game in this exact way.

But, there are many long stretches where you'll just be out in the open ocean looking for new islands or various other places. You'll be moving at what can sometimes feel like a snail's pace over the wide open spaces. For *me*, it facilitates the sensation of a grand adventure, vast in scope and consequence. But in this quick-camera-cut, hyper-stimulation, look-at-your-phone-every-10-seconds world, it's surely a *much* different pace and vibe. And this is particularly true on survivalist mode where dying sends you all the way back to the beginning of chapter 1 and only to hold onto a handful of items and any "blessings" you've acquired. (which are very useful, to be fair) I was well into chapter 3 (of 5, it seems) and got killed and it was time to begin yet again. I've had to go back to the beginning probably 5 or six times. I'm currently in chapter 4 and have learned to take things with much greater foresight and caution though. But I'm anticipating another death. I almost died at the boss between chapter 3 and 4, and was so relieved to make it through.

I've already put 20+ hours into it, and am thinking about it when not playing - always a good sign. Anyway, I'm not sure who, if anyone here, would enjoy it like I do, but if it clicks for you, you'll be grateful you gave it a try. I have tons more to say about it, but I'll probably wait until my 2024 reviews.

Awesome! Glad you are enjoying it. Sounds like that game should be on my list, so I'll add it. I have no problems doing things slowly...I mean, I spent like 100 hours powerwashing virtually this year.
isthatallyougot

jfissel wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:25 pm Awesome! Glad you are enjoying it. Sounds like that game should be on my list, so I'll add it. I have no problems doing things slowly...I mean, I spent like 100 hours powerwashing virtually this year.
100 hours doing menial virtual chores...hmm...yeah, you got this. :P

argyle

Post by argyle »

Merry belated Christmas!

tenor.gif
tenor.gif (407.77 KiB) Viewed 1964 times

Games added: 3 digital sale pickups: LEGO Builder's Journey (xsx), Away & Stay Cool, Kobayashi-san (switch)

Last week: Finished Star Wars: Jedi Survivor, played Star Ocean 2 Remake

This week: More SO2 & I'm really close to finishing off Souldiers

As Crim would say, Jedi Survivor was *chef's kiss*. Just fantastic from beginning to end.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

argyle

Post by argyle »

And now Souldiers is in the bag. Tentative top 10 list has been created, gonna see how it sits with me. Also trying to decide how to go about it this year since there were so many bangers (as the kids say :P).
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis