The Backlog Check-in Vol. 317: 1/27/24: Granblue Fantasy: Relink/Persona 3 Reload/Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 317: 1/27/24: Granblue Fantasy: Relink/Persona 3 Reload/Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Gylt

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Gylt

Added: The Inner World - The Last Wind Monk

I’ve been playing Gylt, it’s a pretty good linear third person horror stealth game with some puzzle solving. The graphics, lighting, audio (music/voice work) and gameplay are all fairly solid. Since it’s primarily a slow paced stealth game it’s not something that I play for long stretches at a time. It’s enjoyable, but not something that really pulls me in and keeps me wanting to play nonstop.

Games releasing this week
BlazBlue Entropy Effect
Brotato
Burnout Chaos: Drift Car Project
Chronique des Silencieux
Dark Light
Eastward: Octopia
El Dorado: The Golden City Builder
Granblue Fantasy: Relink
Jujutsu Kaisen Cursed Clash
Last Train Home - Legion Tales
Never Mourn
One Punch Man: World
Persona 3 Reload
Postal: Brain Damaged
Project Downfall
The Quinfall
Rugby 24
Song of Nunu: A League of Legends Story
Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League
Speed Crew
Toytopia
crimson_tide

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 317: 1/27/24: Granblue Fantasy: Relink/Persona 3 Reload/Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice Le

Post by crimson_tide »

Hey. I survived January Regents testing in NYC. In NY, students have to pass Regents tests to graduate. This year, it is my responsibility to plan them. It was godawful. The bureaucracy drained me for it is my kryptonite. That's why I have barely been present recently. I won't be around much starting like mid May through the end of June just so y'all know.

Played: Steam Deck stuff: Cave Story, about to bail on the first Mega Man Battle Network game because it is just terrible to play (they really needed to make this thing playable when they rereleased it, it's just infuriating)...oh and I tried launching Monster Hunter Rise on it but apparently Capcom broke it with DRM or something sooooo...I asked for my first Steam refund since I can't start it.

Bought: MOTHER ****ING LIKE A DRAGON INFINITE WEALTH ULTIMATE EDITION BECAUSE IT'S LIKELY THE ONLY GAME I AM BUYING DAY ONE THIS YEAR, WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This week: Infinite Wealth and whatever tickles my fancy for the commute with my Steam Deck.

I am about to fire up Infinite Wealth, very much looking forward to this being my game for the next couple months :D !
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 317: 1/27/24: Granblue Fantasy: Relink/Persona 3 Reload/Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice Le

Post by argyle »

Games added: Little Misfortune (xbox digital sale)

Last week: Finished nothing, played Goat Sim 3 & Star Ocean SSR

This week: Finishing off those two, then on Thursday I'll be starting Granblue Fantasy Relink! :D

I've seen the credits roll on GS3, but I'm still playing it. Will probably 100% it, it's a blast and I'm pretty close now. I'm in the final dungeon of Star Ocean. I'll have some more thoughts to post once I wrap it up.

I've been waiting for Granblue for 7.5 years now - I haven't been this excited for a game's release in a while now, so here's hoping it doesn't disappoint (I'm hearing good early buzz, but you never know...).

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

crimson_tide wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:59 pm Hey. I survived January Regents testing in NYC. In NY, students have to pass Regents tests to graduate. This year, it is my responsibility to plan them. It was godawful. The bureaucracy drained me for it is my kryptonite. That's why I have barely been present recently. I won't be around much starting like mid May through the end of June just so y'all know.
Congrats! I can only imagine what NYC public school bureaucracy is like. :?

Played recently: Yakuza: Like a Dragon

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 35

Since I seemed to have no chance in a Chapter 12 boss fight, I'm doing a lot of side stuff/grinding now. Leveling up, making money for better gear, etc. Fortunately, that is very fun in this game, like everything else about it.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:06 amI've been waiting for Granblue for 7.5 years now - I haven't been this excited for a game's release in a while now, so here's hoping it doesn't disappoint (I'm hearing good early buzz, but you never know...).
I’ve been waiting for it since it was originally announced as well and I was thinking about buying it on day one, but after playing the demo I’m going to wait to buy it when it’s $40 or less because the demo was good but not great IMO. The graphics and character models/animations are really good, but there is way too much UI clutter on the screen that I found really distracting. Also, there’s too many flashy visual effects during combat making it difficult to tell what’s going on. The game itself is a somewhat linear third person action RPG with an anime aesthetic. It seemed rather typical for the genre without anything that really made it stand out to me. I actually liked the demo for Star Ocean: The Divine Force more, and I think that I’m going to start the full game today because the demo for Granblue Fantasy: Relink got me in the mood for a third person anime action RPG.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I cannot imagine the hell that is your life crim. (to me and my nature, I mean :P) Strength to you my man!

I've played about half of Boku no Natsuyasumi. (You have 31 days of summer to explore and adventure.) It's been very charming. The gameplay is very basic, but the vibes are really nice, especially if you've ever been a kid with that sensation of an endless-feeling summer to just do as you please stretched out before you. If that tone isn't resonant, there's not enough in terms of depth or gameplay to justify playing it, but if you click with the mood, it's surely worth playing. I'm glad it finally got translated. Props to those who did the work.

J, I was looking for the post you made about those books covering all PS2 games, but I couldn't find it. Anyway, I meant to comment on it. Those look great. I'm tempted, but I hate buying "stuff" anymore. I hope they release it in e-book form.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:12 pm J, I was looking for the post you made about those books covering all PS2 games, but I couldn't find it. Anyway, I meant to comment on it. Those look great. I'm tempted, but I hate buying "stuff" anymore. I hope they release it in e-book form.

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Windbound, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth

Added to Backlog: Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth

Current Backlog: 43 games

Currently in chapter 3 of Windbound. Also already in chapter 3 of Infinite Wealth.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:12 am
argyle wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:06 amI've been waiting for Granblue for 7.5 years now - I haven't been this excited for a game's release in a while now, so here's hoping it doesn't disappoint (I'm hearing good early buzz, but you never know...).
I’ve been waiting for it since it was originally announced as well and I was thinking about buying it on day one, but after playing the demo I’m going to wait to buy it when it’s $40 or less because the demo was good but not great IMO. The graphics and character models/animations are really good, but there is way too much UI clutter on the screen that I found really distracting. Also, there’s too many flashy visual effects during combat making it difficult to tell what’s going on. The game itself is a somewhat linear third person action RPG with an anime aesthetic. It seemed rather typical for the genre without anything that really made it stand out to me. I actually liked the demo for Star Ocean: The Divine Force more, and I think that I’m going to start the full game today because the demo for Granblue Fantasy: Relink got me in the mood for a third person anime action RPG.
Phase, you are the human equivalent of a bucket of cold water. :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:35 pmPhase, you are the human equivalent of a bucket of cold water. :P
I’m sorry. :(
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:12 pm I cannot imagine the hell that is your life crim. (to me and my nature, I mean :P) Strength to you my man!
Bruh, there are THREE DIFFERENT SYSTEMS CALLED STARS THAT DO DIFFERENT THINGS! It should literally just be ONE thing. And the kicker, they have the elaborate system called Automate The Schools or ATS for short. This one is a command prompt system. I wish I were joking. It's just DOS. I...bruh, I am traumatized after last month. The hell is this nonsense. argyle...DOS. This is the foundation for the school system. Seriously fam. How? I figured you might understand some level of this ridiculous nonsense :P .

Infinite Wealth is slowly chugging along. I don't know how j is on chapter 3, I am still on 1. Unlike The Man Who Erased His Name, this is just taking it's sweet ass time. It's been all good thus far though! I'm a little bummed the discourse has been about Kiryu's voice actor (who is awful but just play it in Japanese with subtitles) and the new game plus paywall stuff. It's been a really strong opening and I feel really good about the pacing. I'm just going to avoid the negativity and play my game. Can't wait to get to Hawaii!