The Backlog Check-in Vol. 328: 4/13/24: No Rest for the Wicked Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 328: 4/13/24: No Rest for the Wicked Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree’s Woe and the Blight Below, Dragon Quest Heroes II, A Space for the Unbound

Finished: A Space for the Unbound

Playing: Dragon Quest Heroes II

Added: Nothing

I started playing Dragon Quest Heroes and while the graphics and gameplay are good, the game itself is an extremely repetitive stage based enemy horde battler nothing like the Dragon Quest RPGs.

I heard that Dragon Quest Heroes II was more of an RPG by comparison, so I started playing it. It’s definitely better with more RPG elements, but is still more of an action game than an RPG. However, it has enough RPG elements to make it more than just a pure enemy horde battler like the first game so it’s holding my interest for now.

Games releasing this week
Age of Water
ArcRunner
Apollo 13: The Lost Tapes VR
Bendy: Secret of the Machines
The Crew Motorfest
Dave the Diver
The Dead Await
Dead Island 2 SoLA
Dream Tactics
Final Fantasy XVI: The Rising Tide
Grounded
Harold Halibut
Ikki Unite
Internet Cafe Evolution
Kill it With Fire 2
Kingsgrave
Lifecraft
Life Eater
My Hotel: Echoes of the Past
No Rest for the Wicked
Perish
Planet of Lana
PuzzMix
Rauniot
Ready, Steady, Ship!
Reigns: Beyond
Retrowave World
Reverse: 1999 - Version 1.5
Richman 11
Scheming Through the Zombie Apocalypse Episode 2: Caged
Sker Ritual
Soul Covenant
Trackline Express
Umurangi Generation VR
Whisker Waters
crimson_tide

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 328: 4/13/24: No Rest for the Wicked Edition

Post by crimson_tide »

I am not sure how much longer I will be a PlayStation owner. I am absolutely livid right now. I had to switch Internet carriers because a very long story. The only device that refuses to work is my PS4. It connects to the Internet but it does not let me log into PSN. Therefore, I can't access my library and anything that needs authentication to start won't start. I did everything including rebuilding the database and moved all my games to an external HDD before resetting the goddamn thing to factory settings. I got to the login screen once after that but it didn't take. I really don't know what else to do with it at this point. I might just have to say **** it until I can get a PS5 and just use the Steam Deck exclusively. Which sucks because I only want to play Infinite with my limited game time and can't justify the money and time investment to start from scratch. I haven't been able to play for two weeks as it is. I'm just in a terrible mood. Blah. Hope all is well gents!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:02 pm I am not sure how much longer I will be a PlayStation owner. I am absolutely livid right now. I had to switch Internet carriers because a very long story. The only device that refuses to work is my PS4. It connects to the Internet but it does not let me log into PSN. Therefore, I can't access my library and anything that needs authentication to start won't start. I did everything including rebuilding the database and moved all my games to an external HDD before resetting the goddamn thing to factory settings. I got to the login screen once after that but it didn't take. I really don't know what else to do with it at this point. I might just have to say **** it until I can get a PS5 and just use the Steam Deck exclusively.
That seems really strange, have you looked it up online to see if anyone else has experienced the same thing and has a solution? What about contacting Sony? I really hope that you get it worked out.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

crimson_tide wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:02 pm I am not sure how much longer I will be a PlayStation owner. I am absolutely livid right now. I had to switch Internet carriers because a very long story. The only device that refuses to work is my PS4. It connects to the Internet but it does not let me log into PSN. Therefore, I can't access my library and anything that needs authentication to start won't start. I did everything including rebuilding the database and moved all my games to an external HDD before resetting the goddamn thing to factory settings. I got to the login screen once after that but it didn't take. I really don't know what else to do with it at this point. I might just have to say **** it until I can get a PS5 and just use the Steam Deck exclusively. Which sucks because I only want to play Infinite with my limited game time and can't justify the money and time investment to start from scratch. I haven't been able to play for two weeks as it is. I'm just in a terrible mood. Blah. Hope all is well gents!
Wow, that is strange. And a bummer that you can't play IW right now. Hope there is a solution in your future!
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Yeah, that sucks crim. I "dropped" Sony, at least in terms of my investment in the way that it had been for a long time because of my reluctance to pay to play online along with my general preference for playing on PC. I wonder what's causing your issue though. Very strange. (To be clear, I still love many of the games from Sony, but I'm happy to wait to play on PC for any first party stuff that really interests me.)

But hey, you've already got one foot in the door with your Steam deck. Join us!

:P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I quit playing Dragon Quest Heroes II despite liking it because they start making you fight two tough bosses in a row, and if you die on the second one then you have to fight the first one all over again. No thanks.

I’ve been playing Avengers, and enjoying it for the most part. It’s a decent third person action beat ‘em up platformer with cool scripted events and set pieces. The graphics are good, and the combat is solid. You primarily play as Kamala Khan, but there are levels where you play as the other Avengers as well. Black Widow is my favorite, and Kamala Khan is my second favorite. I don’t really like playing as the other Avengers as much, so I’m glad that I don’t have to play as them too often.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Oof, rough week. :?

Games added: Nada

Last week: Mainly Dragon's Dogma 2 & Slay the Spire

This week: Same

I haven't left Unicorn Overlord, not permanently anyway, but DD2 just has my focus right now. After I finish it off, I'm going back to UO (which incidentally is still my front runner for GOTY - DD2 is great, but doesn't quite edge it out for me). Slay the Spire is one of those games that's addictive, but I can't decide if it's FUN. I've beaten it with all 4 characters, and I've went up against the true final boss a couple of times now but he just devastates me. I've been stubborn on this one, I *want* to say I've beaten it, but we'll see how much longer I last. Honestly, if it wasn't for some downtime at work & the fact that it runs on my PC there no problem, I probably would have already been done with it.

I am going to TRY to finish my 2023 list this week, but no promises - it hasn't been a good week so far. If not this week, next week FOR SURE.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Anyone getting Dave the Diver? Looks kinda fun after watching PS Access play for a bit.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I finished Avengers, it was a decent third person action beat ‘em up platformer that could have been better if they focused on the single player experience instead of on the co-op/multiplayer live service stuff.

The single player story campaign feels a little half-baked, but it offers a decent amount of level variety, it’s a good length for what it is and the difficulty is just right on the easy setting offering some challenge without being frustrating.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:25 am Oof, rough week. :?
Seriously! crim, hope that PS4 issue gets fixed!

Played recently: Sea of Stars

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing (although I'm still eyeballing the PSN Spring Sale)

Current backlog: 34

I'm doing the last few things in Sea of Stars so I can get the true ending, which apparently is worth the effort. What a great game!

The total eclipse was really something! MUCH better than expected. Highly recommended.