The Backlog Check-in Vol. 172: 4/17/21: Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 172: 4/17/21: Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

Finished: Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

Playing: Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

Added: Nothing

I’ve played Assassin’s Creed Valhalla for 16 hours, and while I’m enjoying it I’m not finding it quite as fun as Odyssey. While the main story is better, everything else including the setting, combat, abilities, leveling, upgrading, etc. aren’t quite as good IMO. I found ancient Greece to be a more appealing and livelier setting than medieval England. A lot of Valhalla’s map so far has been somewhat barren fields and forests, but I haven’t uncovered all of it yet.

While the combat is more brutal and violent in Valhalla, it’s not quite as good overall. The combat abilities that I’ve gotten so far haven’t been as cool as the ones in Odyssey. And for a game about Vikings looting and pillaging, there’s not that much loot. While Odyssey went a little overboard with loot, Valhalla is the opposite offering very little.

I really liked Odyssey’s snappy pace, and the overall pick up and play fun factor of it. Valhalla is more methodically paced, and feels bogged down by some of its design elements. While it’s a gorgeous looking game offering some of the best graphics that I’ve seen, it’s lacking the same gameplay addictiveness of Odyssey. And it has some of the longest load times that I’ve ever experienced in a game. I thought that Odyssey had long load times, but they’re much longer in Valhalla.

I still think that Valhalla is a great game, but it’s missing that certain something that made Odyssey so much fun to play.

Games releasing this week
Angels of Death
AntVentor
Atelier Mysterious Trilogy Deluxe Pack
Dead Dust
The Drone Racing League Simulator
Dungeon & Gravestone
The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa
Heal
Hitchhiker
Kingdom of Arcadia
Little Mouse’s Encyclopedia
The Longing
Maskmaker
MLB The Show 21
Moon Raider
NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139
Picross S6
Savage Halloween
The Skylia Prophecy
Smelter
Touhou Hyouibana: Antinomy of Common Flowers
Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion
We Are the Caretakers
World End Economica
World Splitter
Wraith: The Oblivion - Afterlife
crimson_tide

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 172: 4/17/21: Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion Edition

Post by crimson_tide »

Fam Phase, the hell bruh?!?! You left off my only on Stadia game, Non-binary Papaya Commits White Collar Crimes Like Embezzlement Or Some ****!!! I can't believe you missed it in your roundup :P

Played: Shadow of War (Phase's fault...), DQ11S (left Octogonia finally!!! :D ), Yakuza 3, Enter The Gungeon?

This week: More of the same

Bought: Shockingly nothing...

Fam Phase has been droning on and on about how fun Odyssey was so I wanted something like that but like...a fifth or sixth of the length and found Shadow of War to fit the bill quite nicely so I am getting back into that one. I also started up Enter the Gungeon for no good reason. I like it? I think? I normally balk at twin stick shooters but this is growing on me. I made it through the first boss, so I will keep at it a bit.
Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 172: 4/17/21: Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:38 amFam Phase, the hell bruh?!?! You left off my only on Stadia game, Non-binary Papaya Commits White Collar Crimes Like Embezzlement Or Some ****!!! I can't believe you missed it in your roundup :P
:lol:
crimson_tide wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:38 amFam Phase has been droning on and on about how fun Odyssey was so I wanted something like that but like...a fifth or sixth of the length and found Shadow of War to fit the bill quite nicely so I am getting back into that one.
I have both Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War, I plan on playing them when the mood strikes me. When you’re in the mood for a game similar to Assassin’s Creed Odyssey that’s just about as big, I would suggest Ghost Recon: Wildlands (again :P). Like I said before, it’s basically Odyssey with guns that takes place in current day Bolivia.
crimson_tide wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:38 amI also started up Enter the Gungeon for no good reason. I like it? I think? I normally balk at twin stick shooters but this is growing on me.
I’m usually not the biggest fan of twin stick shooters, either. But I’ll buy one every once in a while if they look fun and are on sale for dirt cheap.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Maquette PS5 (platinum)

Now Playing: Wattam, Immortals: Fenyx Rising PS5

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 41 games

Finished up the speed runs in Maquette for the platinum trophy and then installed Immortals, which I have not fired up yet. But I did start Wattam, of course I have no idea what's happening but it's weird and fun!

And Phase, honestly, I think I used 3 of the abilities the entire game of Valhalla...1 of which was the explosive arrow to easily open those stone blockages. Once I started dual-wielding spears, the enemies had no chance.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:19 pminstalled Immortals, which I have not fired up yet.
I look forward to hearing what you think of it when you play it.
jfissel wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:19 pmPhase, honestly, I think I used 3 of the abilities the entire game of Valhalla...1 of which was the explosive arrow to easily open those stone blockages. Once I started dual-wielding spears, the enemies had no chance.
I thought that you could only dual wield one handed weapons. :?: By the way, what do you think of Valhalla compared to Odyssey? I think that I remember you saying that you liked Odyssey’s setting more, but what about the games overall? I’ve played Valhalla for 20 hours now and it has picked up somewhat, but I still feel that Odyssey was the funner game at this point. However, Valhalla is better in some ways such as being a more cinematic adventure and having a somewhat stronger cast of characters. It also feels more like an Assassin’s Creed game as well.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I'm not going to Google it, but there is no way Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion Edition is real. No. Way.

Played recently: Days Gone

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: Ape Out, Moonlighter, Beat Cop

Current backlog: 16 (9 PS4, 1 Vita, 6 Switch)

Still having fun with Days Gone. Just got to Lost Lake.

I bought some indy Switch games on sale... Ape Out (been waiting for that one to get cheap), along with Moonlighter and Beat Cop (both recommended by a friend).
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:20 amI'm not going to Google it, but there is no way Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion Edition is real. No. Way.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:24 pm
jfissel wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:19 pminstalled Immortals, which I have not fired up yet.
I look forward to hearing what you think of it when you play it.
Played it for about an hour and a half last night. It seems to not take itself seriously, which I'm enjoying...in fact, I've laughed several times already at the "commentary" by some Greek Gods that are essentially narrating the story. I hope that continues.
jfissel wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:19 pmPhase, honestly, I think I used 3 of the abilities the entire game of Valhalla...1 of which was the explosive arrow to easily open those stone blockages. Once I started dual-wielding spears, the enemies had no chance.
I thought that you could only dual wield one handed weapons. :?: By the way, what do you think of Valhalla compared to Odyssey? I think that I remember you saying that you liked Odyssey’s setting more, but what about the games overall? I’ve played Valhalla for 20 hours now and it has picked up somewhat, but I still feel that Odyssey was the funner game at this point. However, Valhalla is better in some ways such as being a more cinematic adventure and having a somewhat stronger cast of characters. It also feels more like an Assassin’s Creed game as well.
There is a skill in the top tree that allows you to dual-wield any weapons including giant longswords, lol. But spears were pretty awesome as they have a heck of a reach and are decently fast. Once I saw that skill, I made a beeline for it, equipped and upgraded 2 spears, and never looked back. I used a shield for maybe the first 20 hours - just didn't think they were that great or necessary. My combat style was to dodge 99% of the time, I rarely parried or blocked anything.

I do like the Ancient Greek setting better, but Valhalla was great (I wouldn't have played it for 146 hours if I didn't think so). I agree with your assessment of the cast of characters, mainly because a lot of them are in your settlement and you can interact with them regularly. Some of them even have their own short storylines with missions. Odyssey was a while ago for me, so I think you're better equipped to give a direct comparison opinion than I am. The mythical worlds in Odyssey are in the DLC (I don't recall any in the normal course of things), but there are a few within the main game of Valhalla that you can visit...and I suggest you do so when you're powerful enough and they're available in order to break up the somewhat repetitive exploration of England. Valhalla does have fishing and Orlog as well, 2 fun side activities.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:09 pmThere is a skill in the top tree that allows you to dual-wield any weapons including giant longswords, lol. But spears were pretty awesome as they have a heck of a reach and are decently fast. Once I saw that skill, I made a beeline for it, equipped and upgraded 2 spears, and never looked back. I used a shield for maybe the first 20 hours - just didn't think they were that great or necessary. My combat style was to dodge 99% of the time, I rarely parried or blocked anything.
I’ve been blocking and parrying sparingly during combat, but I dodge the majority of time so I’ll probably start dual wielding instead of using a shield.
jfissel wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:09 pmI do like the Ancient Greek setting better, but Valhalla was great (I wouldn't have played it for 146 hours if I didn't think so). I agree with your assessment of the cast of characters, mainly because a lot of them are in your settlement and you can interact with them regularly. Some of them even have their own short storylines with missions.
I prefer the ancient Greek setting of Odyssey to the medieval England setting of Valhalla as well, but the story, characters and writing in Valhalla are all better than they are in Odyssey IMO.
jfissel wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:09 pmOdyssey was a while ago for me, so I think you're better equipped to give a direct comparison opinion than I am.
To me Odyssey feels like a TV series, while Valhalla feels like a miniseries. Odyssey offers a plethora of self-contained lengthy and involved side quests with their own mini-stories along with other side activities, there’s always meaningful things to do in it other than following the main storyline. It’s the opposite with Valhalla, it primarily focuses on the main story. While it offers a lot of little side things to do such as world events, raids, contracts, wealth collecting, cairns, flyting, drinking games, etc., most of them are brief excursions and not all that engaging coming across more like filler than stuff that I really want to do. The world events are the closest things to side quests that it has, but they’re usually really short and often for comedy relief. They pale in comparison to the side quests in Odyssey, but that’s because Valhalla is more of a story driven adventure game compared to Odyssey which is more of a mercenary for hire sandbox game. Odyssey’s gameplay formula is more pick up and play friendly, and fun IMO. Valhalla is fun too, but it’s more about the main story and less about the side stuff that you can do in the world.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:09 pmThe mythical worlds in Odyssey are in the DLC (I don't recall any in the normal course of things), but there are a few within the main game of Valhalla that you can visit...and I suggest you do so when you're powerful enough and they're available in order to break up the somewhat repetitive exploration of England.
I’ve played for over 30 hours now and just went to the first mythical world (Asgard), and I don’t really like it. It looks cool, but fantasy stuff seems out of place in Assassin’s Creed to me even more so than the current day sci-fi stuff. I didn’t really like fighting mythical creatures in Odyssey either since they seemed out of place to me.

Part of the appeal of the AC series for me is that I feel like I’m playing in the actual past without any fantasy stuff, but they introduced some fantasy stuff in Odyssey and there’s even more in Valhalla. I haven’t really liked the whole Odin aspect in Valhalla either, but thankfully it’s been a small part of the story. But now they’re introducing mythical worlds to play in that are even more out of place IMO, but they seem to be optional so that’s good.