The Backlog Check-in Vol. 83: 8/3/19: August Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 83: 8/3/19: August Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Days Gone

Finished: Days Gone

Playing: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Added: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Blue Reflection, Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon, Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom, Sega Genesis Classics

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night ROCKS!!!! It's the best Metroidvania game that I've played. I've played some good somewhat low budget indie ones, but they've always felt low budget and indie. :P Ritual of the Night doesn't. It's a somewhat big budget retail released game as opposed to a digital only indie game like the genre usually is.

The graphics and music are really good, but it's the design and gameplay that really stand out. While it's an open-ended side scrolling action platformer at its core, it also has RPG elements. Basically, it's an action platformer with depth. Side quests, leveling, loot, shops, crafting, etc. it's all here. Exploring is rewarding making you want to explore everywhere possible since there's almost always something to find off the beaten path.

The game is challenging making you need to change weapons and shard magic depending on the enemies that you're up against. There's a lot of variety to the enemies, and a lot of them require different tactics. So you definitely can't just use one type of weapon and shard magic all the time, you need to mix it up based on the enemies that you're fighting. There's a lot of different weapons and shard magic, and they keep combat varied since you have to use different ones in different situations.

This is basically a Castlevania game which used to be one of my favorite series back in the day. As much as I liked Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, it didn't really feel like a Castlevania game. Ritual of the Night does despite not officially being a Castlevania game. It's nice to basically play another old school style Castlevania game now with current gen bells and whistles.
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 83: 8/3/19: August Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

I finally finished up Dark Souls III, well at least beat the final boss. There are still things I'd like to do and explore though. It was really challenging, even for a Souls vet, but it was absolutely amazing and another worthy entry in the (for me) best franchise in all of gaming.

Also still plugging away @ Harvest Moon ToTT, and it's fun as always. Just got a new bed in case I want to "upgrade" my family.

I also started Outlast, and I'm not sure how I'll feel about this one. It has really cool atmosphere, but stealth combined with horror can sometimes just be frustrating and missing the fun. I'll give it some more time.

Finally I started up the new God of War, and of course, it immediately impressed with its visuals. I'm not sure about the new Kratos though, and I already find the kid annoying. I hope this develops well, because this is not the direction I hoped for, setting aside.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:11 amI finally finished up Dark Souls III, well at least beat the final boss. There are still things I'd like to do and explore though. It was really challenging, even for a Souls vet, but it was absolutely amazing and another worthy entry in the (for me) best franchise in all of gaming.
If it was really challenging for you then I don't have any chance of getting through it which is a shame because I really liked what I played of it. Where does it rank amongst the Souls games for you?
isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:11 amI also started Outlast, and I'm not sure how I'll feel about this one. It has really cool atmosphere, but stealth combined with horror can sometimes just be frustrating and missing the fun. I'll give it some more time.
I have Outlast Trinity, and I've been waiting to play it when the mood strikes me - maybe in October for Halloween. I heard that Outlast II is better than the first game, so even if the first game doesn't really click with you perhaps you shouldn't write off the series completely like you did with Assassin's Creed. :P
isthatallyougot wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:11 amFinally I started up the new God of War, and of course, it immediately impressed with its visuals. I'm not sure about the new Kratos though, and I already find the kid annoying. I hope this develops well, because this is not the direction I hoped for, setting aside.
I can understand how you could be disappointed with it as a God of War game, because it's not really a God of War game. I personally think that it would have been better as a separate new IP with Faye (Atreus's mother) as the main protagonist, and some story tweaks to make it its own thing not connected to God of War. But it still worked as a God of War game for me. I liked Kratos and Atreus throughout.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:37 am If it was really challenging for you then I don't have any chance of getting through it which is a shame because I really liked what I played of it. Where does it rank amongst the Souls games for you?
I'll have to let it marinate. Too soon to evaluate. It's most certainly up there with all of the rest for me though. It's worthy of its heritage for sure.

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Judgment (story)

Now Playing: Judgment

Added to Backlog: Dragon quest Builders 2

Current Backlog: 30 games

Beat the story in Judgment and I'm going to finish up some more side stuff & trophies before moving on to DQ Builders 2.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Took down the hardest boss (optional though) in Judgment, one of the Amon clan. It was tough and took me around 12 tries to get through the fight, but that was the last case I needed to do in the game!
isthatallyougot

The new God of War:

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I'm currently stuck in Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, and I'm not happy about it. One of my biggest pet peeves in video games is getting stuck in them, and having to go online to find the solution. It takes me out of the experience, and frustrates me.

I found out that there are optional areas that you have to jump through hoops (not literally) to get to and optional bosses, how am I supposed to know what's optional and not in a game like this? Also, you can reach the final boss long before going through a good amount of the castle getting a bad ending if you do. I dislike this kind of stuff in games like this where you rely on the map to know where to go to keep progressing, and can access somewhere early meant for the end.

There's so much that I like about the game, but these things are unfortunately hurting the experience for me. I like exploring and discovering, but I feel like I've explored and discovered everywhere that I can right now. It's not easy to look up the solution for this without having to sit through a walkthrough which is annoying.

In other news, I just found out that a new third person action RPG called Decay of Logos comes out later this month:

It looks really good. It's an indie game that's digital only, and if it's $30 or less i'm going to buy it on day one.
jfissel wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:33 pmBeat the story in Judgment
What's your final opinion of the game? How does it compare to the Yakuza games?
isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:11 amThe new God of War:

What don't you like about it? It's hard to imagine anyone who likes action adventure games not liking it, but we all have our reasons for liking and disliking certain things.

P.S. Argyle? Cane? Where are you?
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I just discovered another third person open world action RPG currently in development called Genshin Impact that looks awesome:

After watching that trailer and other footage of the game, it's one of my most anticipated games right now.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:58 pm
jfissel wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:33 pmBeat the story in Judgment
What's your final opinion of the game? How does it compare to the Yakuza games?
Yeah, it's a great addition to the Yakuza universe. The stories in those games are always interesting rollercoasters with plot twists, and Judgment is no exception. New side stuff like drone racing, quickstarter, a VR arena, and more arcade games are refreshing. Highly recommended for Yakuza fans. I think I spent 63 hours getting 74.9% completion and 37/47 trophies...the rest of the trophies and % are things that take more skill and time than I want to contribute.