The Backlog Check-in Vol. 84: 8/10/19: August Games Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 84: 8/10/19: August Games Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon

Finished (playing): Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Playing: Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon

Added: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

I stopped playing Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night because I got stuck in it, and going online to find out what I needed to do/where to go was proving to be difficult. I would have had to watch a walkthrough, but I decided to stop playing it and start Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon. Of course I'll play it again at another time, but I was in the mood to play Nights of Azure 2 now.

I'm really enjoying Nights of Azure 2, it's better than the first game in almost every way. Story, characters, environments, gameplay and combat have all been improved. It's an anime action RPG with the emphasis on action as there's a lot of combat. Of course my opinion of it could change later, but right now I'm having a lot of fun with it.

This is a slow month for game releases until the end of the month, the following come out the last week of the month:

Astral Chain
Collection of Mana
Control
The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan
Decay of Logos
Wreckfest

I'm interested in Control, The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan and Decay of Logos. I can wait to get Control and The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan after they've dropped in price, but I'll buy Decay of Logos on day one if it's $30 or less.
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 84: 8/10/19: August Games Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Still playing God of War. I'm not hating it, but I still find it disappointing. It's enjoyable enough that I'll finish it, and there are definitely things I appreciate about it, but it doesn't feel like God of War, and it's not what I wanted from the series, reboot or no.

Also still playing Harvest Moon ToTT. So fun and comforting.

I haven't got back to Outlast after I started it, but I plan to do so.

I've also been playing The Pinball Arcade a fair bit lately. I bought some extra table packs before Farsight had to remove them, and I've been enjoying experiencing some new tables. I always love pinball though, and I can play it anytime.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: ???

Last week(ish) Finished Donut County, played Horizon Chase Turbo, Fire Emblem.

This week: Honestly not sure.

Donut County was a short but fun little game. Not much challenge, but an enjoyable playthrough. And Horizon is great, a really fun throwback racer.

I'm putting down Fire Emblem for now at least, it's just not what I'm in the mood for. Very complex, one of those games where they keep layering system upon system - and most of them have nothing to do with actual combat. The combat is actually few & far between so far, which is not my preference in JRPGs. I may pick it back up later, but just not what I'm looking for now.

Haven't really decided WHAT I'm going to play right now. Towards the end of the month I'm picking up Collection of Mana, Man of Medan and Metal Wolf Chaos.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:31 pmI'm putting down Fire Emblem for now at least, it's just not what I'm in the mood for. Very complex, one of those games where they keep layering system upon system - and most of them have nothing to do with actual combat. The combat is actually few & far between so far, which is not my preference in JRPGs. I may pick it back up later, but just not what I'm looking for now.
I'm sorry that it ended up disappointing you, it's never good when games that you're looking forward to do that.
argyle wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:31 pmTowards the end of the month I'm picking up Collection of Mana, Man of Medan and Metal Wolf Chaos.
What about Astral Chain, I thought that was your most anticipated game of the month. And isn't Metal Wolf Chaos an old Xbox game?
argyle

Post by argyle »

I wasn't planning on picking up Astral Chain day 1, but after hitting up the current GS trade promo pretty hard ($5 bonus on any game that trades for at least $2, using it to clear out some old junk) I think I might. It wasn't my most anticipated, but I have definitely had my eye on it.

Metal Wolf Chaos was an original Xbox game that never got localized back in the day. So it's getting a HD port now, and it looks bonkers:

Oh yeah, and the physical release is exclusive to GS.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Dragon Quest Builders 2

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 30 games

I've put a lot of time into DQB2 as each level has specific things to do to progress, but also gives you freedom to do whatever. So I'm doing a lot of both, lol. Currently in the 2nd story area.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:35 pmI wasn't planning on picking up Astral Chain day 1, but after hitting up the current GS trade promo pretty hard ($5 bonus on any game that trades for at least $2, using it to clear out some old junk) I think I might. It wasn't my most anticipated, but I have definitely had my eye on it.
I was just going by it being on your top 10 most anticipated games of 2019 list (the other games that you mentioned getting this month weren't), and you also said this in June:

"I'm picking up some indie games that are getting physical releases in July, but the next major game I'm probably getting will be Astral Chain in August."

It just seemed like something that you were really interested in, and would be getting on day one.
argyle wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:35 pmMetal Wolf Chaos was an original Xbox game that never got localized back in the day. So it's getting a HD port now, and it looks bonkers
I didn't know that it only came out in Japan. It looks pretty cool.
jfissel wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:36 amI've put a lot of time into DQB2 as each level has specific things to do to progress, but also gives you freedom to do whatever. So I'm doing a lot of both, lol. Currently in the 2nd story area.
Have you played the first game? I'm just curious how the two compare.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:29 pm
jfissel wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:36 amI've put a lot of time into DQB2 as each level has specific things to do to progress, but also gives you freedom to do whatever. So I'm doing a lot of both, lol. Currently in the 2nd story area.
Have you played the first game? I'm just curious how the two compare.
I did not play the first game, but I've heard that there are a lot of quality-of-life improvements in #2. Other than that, I'm not too sure. I think cane played the first one though.