The Backlog Check-in Vol. 96: 11/2/19: Death Stranding/Need For Speed Heat Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 96: 11/2/19: Death Stranding/Need For Speed Heat Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

I'm still playing Dragon Quest XI and enjoying it, the story and characters have especially been entertaining. The core game is a good old fashioned JRPG style with anime graphics, a mix of comedy and lightheartedness amongst darker elements, a somewhat linear design structure and turn-based combat. It offers classic JRPG appeal, and charm. It's a rather laidback and pleasant game to play which is hitting the spot right now.

Death Stranding and Need For Speed Heat come out this week.
jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 96: 11/2/19: Death Stranding/Need For Speed Heat Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 31 games

I think I'm ready to get back into the story of Odyssey after probably 3 weeks of just side stuff. Up to 76 hours in and level 56 now...still a ton to do.
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 96: 11/2/19: Death Stranding/Need For Speed Heat Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

I'm playing Paper Mario (N64), almost done with Resident Evil Revelations (PC), and still playing Harvest Moon : TToTT.

All 3 are great.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I've played Dragon Quest XI for 30 hours now, and I'm still enjoying it. I really like the story and characters, and the game world is gorgeous looking and varied. However, there are a few things that hurt the overall experience a little.

The main character being silent is one of my biggest complaints since this is a story heavy and character driven game, yet he just seems like a deer in headlights when characters interact with him because he doesn't interact back.

Another thing is that they made a really nice looking world with some expansive/open areas, but didn't really provide much of an incentive to explore off the beaten path since there's not much to discover other than crafting materials. Which brings up another point, the loot isn't very good. Even when you do discover a treasure chest out in the world or in a dungeon, the contents are usually nothing great. And the reason for this seems to be because of the crafting system that they shoehorned into the game, because every RPG these days has to have crafting in it. :roll: The crafting system is somewhat like a mini-game, but I don't fully understand it even though I've used it a few times. The game still includes weapon and armor shops to buy better stuff at, and that's what I primarily do since crafting better stuff seems more like luck than anything else.

Another weak aspect of the game is its side content (side quests), there's very little of it and what there is isn't very interesting or really worth doing. It could have been left out completely, and wouldn't have been missed IMO.

And finally, the game is easy. Most regular enemy encounters pose no threat whatsoever, and while the bosses offer more of a challenge they're still not very hard to take down either. Perhaps it will get more challenging later, but so far it's been a breeze.

I'm still really liking the game despite some of my complaints, but unfortunately they do bring the experience down a bit and keep it from being as good as it could have been.
jfissel wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:05 pmI think I'm ready to get back into the story of Odyssey after probably 3 weeks of just side stuff.
You've spent three weeks just doing side content? :o
isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:34 amalmost done with Resident Evil Revelations
That's one of my favorite Resident Evil games, Revelations 2 is really good too.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:43 am
jfissel wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:05 pmI think I'm ready to get back into the story of Odyssey after probably 3 weeks of just side stuff.
You've spent three weeks just doing side content? :o
Oh yeah, there's a ton of islands/areas to explore and the map is just huge. I'm not doing the fetch quests anymore, but the actual side quests with more substance to them are usually decent.

Anyone see the first couple of Black Friday ads? Spider-man GOTY for $15 at Best Buy is mine along with a $10 Persona 5. Days Gone is $20, might grab that one as well. Need to make a list soon.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:43 am That's one of my favorite Resident Evil games, Revelations 2 is really good too.
Did you get into the raid mode? I'm about done with the campaign and debating whether or not to dive into it. I know many people love the raid/mercenaries modes in RE games that have it.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:09 amDid you get into the raid mode? I'm about done with the campaign and debating whether or not to dive into it. I know many people love the raid/mercenaries modes in RE games that have it.
No, I strictly play the campaigns in the Resident Evil games.