The Backlog Check-in Vol. 101: 12/8/19: Shovel Knight Treasure Trove Edition

argyle

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 101: 12/8/19: Shovel Knight Treasure Trove Edition

Post by argyle »

Heya. :) Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

Games added: A lot.

Last however long: Finished Luigi's Mansion 3, played a lot of different things - most recently some Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.

This week: Probably gonna focus on that for now, tho I've had an itch lately to re-start and really get into Ni no Kuni 2 finally. We'll see, I do have my Christmas break coming up.

Hrm, let's see. Luigi's Mansion was great, those games are a really fun mix of exploration and puzzle solving. Not perfect, it does have a bit too much trial-and-error in the boss fights for my taste and a little bit of unnecessary backtracking that feels like filler (which it didn't need, the game was a good length even without the backtracking). But neither of those was enough to really hurt the game, it's still a lock for my top 10 this year.

Star Wars is pretty good so far. I'm still early in, but it's definitely well done. Modeled after a Souls game a bit, so it has branching paths, plenty of exploration, tough combat (not as brutal as a Souls, but still tough). Respawn is a great dev, it's a miracle that EA hasn't killed them yet. Oh I'm sure they WILL, but just surprised it hasn't happened already.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 101: 12/8/19: Shovel Knight Treasure Trove Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (platinum)

Now Playing: Assassin's Creed: Odyssey DLC

Added to Backlog: Days Gone

Current Backlog: 33 games

Finished the platinum in Odyssey in like 130 hours and then I'm currently playing the Fate of Atlantis DLC, which already seems lengthy.
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 101: 12/8/19: Shovel Knight Treasure Trove Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Started playing The Show '19, but despite how much I love it, it is such an absolute abyss of a time sink, so who knows how long I'll stick with it.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:51 pmFinished Luigi's Mansion 3, played a lot of different things - most recently some Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.
Did you finish The Outer Worlds?
argyle wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:51 pmit's still a lock for my top 10 this year.
I'm looking forward to your top 10 games of the year as usual.
argyle wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:51 pmStar Wars is pretty good so far. I'm still early in, but it's definitely well done. Modeled after a Souls game a bit, so it has branching paths, plenty of exploration, tough combat (not as brutal as a Souls, but still tough).
Yeah, it looks like it turned out good. I plan on picking it up when it's cheaper.
jfissel wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:25 pmFinished: Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (platinum)
Where does it place in the Assassin's Creed series for you?
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:54 pm
jfissel wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:25 pmFinished: Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (platinum)
Where does it place in the Assassin's Creed series for you?
Really enjoyed it, top 4 somewhere. I don't think it beats II or IV, and Brotherhood was amazing as well so it would compete with that for 3rd. I really like ancient Greece, Greek mythology, etc, so it was fun to roam around with those things as the focus.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:54 pm Did you finish The Outer Worlds?
Not yet - it's a difficult game for me to get into at night, and my weekends have been hectic lately. I'm going to finish it up during my upcoming Christmas break.

In other news, Marie Fredriksson of Roxette passed away on Monday. :( I've been super bummed out ever since I heard the news, I think you guys know I've always been a huge fan of theirs. She had an amazing voice.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:28 amMarie Fredriksson of Roxette passed away on Monday. :( I've been super bummed out ever since I heard the news, I think you guys know I've always been a huge fan of theirs. She had an amazing voice.
That's definitely sad news. :( I liked a lot of Roxette songs back in the day.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

argyle wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:28 am In other news, Marie Fredriksson of Roxette passed away on Monday. :( I've been super bummed out ever since I heard the news, I think you guys know I've always been a huge fan of theirs. She had an amazing voice.
I knew she was sick - for a long time right? But I didn't know she died. Yeah, they had some good tunes.

I was living in Sweden at the time "The Look" blew up. I still remember how excited everyone was for their international success. I also love that they kept the somewhat-nonsensical, but somehow perfectly appropriate placeholder lyrics.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!