The Backlog Check-in Vol. 105: 1/4/20: Terminator Resistance Edition? Ewww....

argyle

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 105: 1/4/20: Terminator Resistance Edition? Ewww....

Post by argyle »

Not a lot coming out this week. ;)

Games added: Gigantic Army

Last week: Finished Pokemon: Sword, tho I may still play it some off & on - gotta catch 'em all! :P Started playing Just Cause 4.

This week: Just Cause 4

So a couple months back I took advantage of a promo to get some Microsoft Game Pass Ultimate subscription time for basically the cost of some energy drinks. And I mean I *really* took advantage - I'm subbed through Aug '21. :lol: Anyway, one of the things I really like about the service is the ability to try games I have a passing interest in without spending any money. So as I was browsing for something new to play I saw JC4, thought that might be the kind of thing I was in the mood for, and grabbed it. Full disclosure, I've actually played the opening hour or so of this game a couple times before, but never stuck with it past that opening tutorial/story setup section to get into the meat of the game. So this time, I did, and I gotta say it's kinda hooked me. Now I'll already tell you it isn't a great game - the story is basically pointless, and it can be a touch repetitive. But what it IS is a *FUN* game. Blowing up everything in sight in some crazy and sometimes inventive ways is very cathartic and a great stress reliever. I think it's best to think of the game as a super hero game - you're basically the Hispanic Batman. You can take an absurd amount of damage (and when your health does get low, ducking out of the line of fire for only a couple of seconds or so usually gets you back to the good) and you can cause an insane amount of havok. Seeing an enemy way across the screen that's shooting you, grappling to him (drop-kicking him in the process) then shooting him to finish him off NEVER gets old. Nor does jumping into the chopper that's shooting you & using it to rain down destruction. I may or may not finish it, who knows at this point, but right now I'm hooked and I'm looking forward to playing more. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

sonuckles

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 105: 1/4/20: Terminator Resistance Edition? Ewww....

Post by sonuckles »

Just Cause 4 sounds like the other 3 basically. :P

Oh, and hey, I'm alive! Still kickin!

Just figured I'd check in. I just got a PS4 last weekend, so now I can finally be a part of this (almost last) gen! I'm pretty sure I'm still friends with people from the boards here (whoever is still hanging around).

I picked up Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, Spiderman, God of War, and Persona 5 (which was a double-dip since I have it on the PS3 as well, but... I'm probably not gonna mess with the PS3 versions of games going forward).

How has everyone been? It's been roughly a year and a half since the last time I posted here.
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 105: 1/4/20: Terminator Resistance Edition? Ewww....

Post by isthatallyougot »

Just Cause 2 is one of my favorite games ever. Still need to play 3 & 4 though.

Sonuckles?!? :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Untitled Goose Game

Now Playing: Spider-Man

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 33 games

Finished Untitled Goose Game and only have the speed runs left...I'll come back after Spider-Man. And speaking of Spider-Man, this game is really, really good. Swinging around the city is fun, the combat has a ton of moves you can combo together like the Arkham games, and I'm already doing a lot of the side stuff.

Yo, sonuckles, what's up? Welcome back.
isthatallyougot

jfissel wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:43 pm And speaking of Spider-Man, this game is really, really good. Swinging around the city is fun, the combat has a ton of moves you can combo together like the Arkham games, and I'm already doing a lot of the side stuff.
I was thinking of firing up Spiderman early this year. I bought it a while back, and it's just been sitting there. Maybe I'll join you.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:35 amNot a lot coming out this week.
Is anything coming out this week? By the way, why is this the Terminator: Resistance edition? It came out November 15th.
argyle wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:35 amSo as I was browsing for something new to play I saw JC4, thought that might be the kind of thing I was in the mood for, and grabbed it. Full disclosure, I've actually played the opening hour or so of this game a couple times before, but never stuck with it past that opening tutorial/story setup section to get into the meat of the game. So this time, I did, and I gotta say it's kinda hooked me. Now I'll already tell you it isn't a great game - the story is basically pointless, and it can be a touch repetitive. But what it IS is a *FUN* game. Blowing up everything in sight in some crazy and sometimes inventive ways is very cathartic and a great stress reliever. I think it's best to think of the game as a super hero game - you're basically the Hispanic Batman. You can take an absurd amount of damage (and when your health does get low, ducking out of the line of fire for only a couple of seconds or so usually gets you back to the good) and you can cause an insane amount of havok.
I'm glad that you're having fun with it, but I dislike Rico Rodriguez to the point where I can't enjoy the Just Cause games. If you could create your own character or have character options other than Rico then I would probably enjoy them, but Rico is one of the worst main protagonists that I've played in a game.
sonuckles wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:38 pmI'm alive! Still kickin!

Just figured I'd check in. I just got a PS4 last weekend, so now I can finally be a part of this (almost last) gen! I'm pretty sure I'm still friends with people from the boards here (whoever is still hanging around).

I picked up Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, Spiderman, God of War, and Persona 5 (which was a double-dip since I have it on the PS3 as well, but... I'm probably not gonna mess with the PS3 versions of games going forward).
Welcome back. You have a kid now, right? How has that been? You got some good games with your PS4, it's a great console. Next gen might only be a year away, but I personally think that it's coming too soon as the PS4 still impresses me and has a fantastic library of games. I don't plan on going next gen for years as I have hundreds of PS4 games, and there's still a lot more out and coming out that I want.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
sonuckles

Post by sonuckles »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:03 pm Welcome back. You have a kid now, right? How has that been? You got some good games with your PS4, it's a great console. Next gen might only be a year away, but I personally think that it's coming too soon as the PS4 still impresses me and has a fantastic library of games. I don't plan on going next gen for years as I have hundreds of PS4 games and there's still a lot more out and coming out that I want.
Yup, the Mrs. and I have a kiddo now. She turned 1 back in July. We also bought a house just outside Saint Louis and moved at the end of August. It was a pretty busy year for us. Lots of adulting. But overall it's been good.

I feel kind of bad jumping on a next gen console this close to the PS5/whatever the hell MS is doing, but the PS3 lived on for quite a while after the 4 came out, and I'm willing to wait on getting the new gear for a while. That gaming PC has done me pretty well the last few years, but the PS4's exclusives were just too tempting to pass up. I've only really put any significant time into Horizon Zero Dawn, but I'm really liking it a lot so far.

Oh, and I forgot to add, I picked up The Withcher 3 on the Switch. Not sure how I'll divide my time between HZD and Witcher 3, but I'll make it work somehow. I really need to invest in a Vita shell that mimmicks the L2 and R2 buttons so I can get the most out of remote play. It's probably the one thing that will really get me the most mileage out of the PS4.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:03 pm By the way, why is this the Terminator: Resistance edition? It came out November 15th.
That was the original release date but apparently it was delayed. It's the only thing GS had listed as releasing this week, so that's why I went with it.
Phaseknox wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:03 pm I'm glad that you're having fun with it, but I dislike Rico Rodriguez to the point where I can't enjoy the Just Cause games. If you could create your own character or have character options other than Rico then I would probably enjoy them, but Rico is one of the worst main protagonists that I've played in a game.
*shrug* The main character/plot/etc. are so inconsequential that I could be playing as a rodeo clown and it wouldn't make any difference. :P I still don't know that I'll finish it, as it is starting to get fairly repetitive and they have a weird habit of giving you missions where you have to protect things or people for it being a game that's all about blowing things up. :?

Oh, and welcome back Nuckles! I was 99% sure you were still on my PSN friends list, but I just checked and there you are plugging away at Horizon. :D
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Wow, Spider-Man is fantastic. I've been waiting forever for a proper treatment of the character. There have been some pretty good games for the universe, but this is something else. Well-done Insomniac.

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:05 pm Wow, Spider-Man is fantastic. I've been waiting forever for a proper treatment of the character. There have been some pretty good games for the universe, but this is something else. Well-done Insomniac.
Yep, I just played a few more hours and completed some side stuff all around the city.