The Backlog Check-in Vol. 113: 2/29/20: Pokemon Myster Dungeon DX Edition

argyle

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 113: 2/29/20: Pokemon Myster Dungeon DX Edition

Post by argyle »

Games added: Dreams, Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate, Bayonetta/Vanquish 10th Anniversary, Blacksad, Journey to the Savage Planet

Last 2 weeks: Finished One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3, played Death End RE;Quest, Two Point Hospital and some more Pokemon Sword online

This week: More Death End and Two Point Hospital. I also picked Borderlands 3 back up today on my lunch break because I'm in the mood to shoot stuff, so I'll pop that in at some point.

Pirate Warriors 3 was fun, one of the better Warriors spin-off games IMO. Plot broke down to nonsense because 1) I'm not very familiar with the anime (I've seen maybe the first 20 episodes) and 2) the game compresses around 660 episodes worth of story into around 25 hours of game. :P But it was still a lot of fun. Death End is a blast. The story is presented as a visual novel, which works because of the balance of more gameplay vs story segments and the fact that the story is really interesting - it's basically a horror-themed take on Sword Art Online (person gets trapped in an online game). The battle system has some fun twists, the main one being the ability to knock enemies into each other, the "arena" borders or even other party members for additional damage. It ends up making battles almost feel like billiards. It also borrows a mechanic from the old PS1 RPG Legend of Legaia - you can slot in up to 3 moves in a turn, but certain combinations of 2 moves & leaving the third blank will give you the chance to learn something new (you see a lightbulb when you slot in 2 in the right order that could lead to a new one, but there's a degree of luck as to whether you'll learn it or not).

All-in-all, really fun JRPG with some neat twists.

Phase, I agree with your take on Child of Light btw - I also found it to be pretty generic, and the rhyming gimmick felt really forced to me. I couldn't finish that one either.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX comes out Friday. Always down for a *real* Rogue-like. :)

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 113: 2/29/20: Pokemon Myster Dungeon DX Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Having a great time with Harmony of Dissonance. Even some of the music has grown on me. I'm not surprised it's great though. Metroidvania is usually good fun.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Post by argyle »

I haven't played any of the GBA Castlevanias (not really, I've dabbled with Circle of the Moon I believe). Or the GBA Metroids. Or the GBA Zeldas.

Really wish Nintendo would start putting GBA games on the Switch.
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

isthatallyougot

argyle wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:28 pm I haven't played any of the GBA Castlevanias (not really, I've dabbled with Circle of the Moon I believe). Or the GBA Metroids. Or the GBA Zeldas.

Really wish Nintendo would start putting GBA games on the Switch.
Well I've got it in physical form (2 in 1 double pack with Aria of Sorrow on GBA), and on RetroArch. Why don't you just emulate? (Buy a cheap cart if it makes you feel better.) Runs flawlessly on RetroArch though.

argyle

Post by argyle »

I don't have a problem emulating older stuff, so I might do that. It's just that GBA stuff looks pretty rough blown up on the big screen, so ideally I'd rather play it handheld on my Switch. :D

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Spider-Man DLC

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 35 games

Finally had a chance to get back into Spider-Man DLC and completed the first one (The Heist). Now I'm onto the second one!
isthatallyougot

argyle wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:01 pm I don't have a problem emulating older stuff, so I might do that. It's just that GBA stuff looks pretty rough blown up on the big screen, so ideally I'd rather play it handheld on my Switch. :D
Yeah, I play anything PS1 or older on a smaller monitor too. I don't have any issues playing PS2 and forward on the big screen though. (especially with settings/tweaking that makes everything look great)