The Backlog Check-in Vol. 121: 4/25/20: Sakura Wars/Streets of Rage 4 Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 121: 4/25/20: Sakura Wars/Streets of Rage 4 Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Final Fantasy VII, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

Finished: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

Playing: Final Fantasy VII

Added: Final Fantasy VII, The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince, Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet

I finished Ys VIII which took me roughly 45 hours. I enjoyed the game throughout, but I was disappointed with the ending that I got. You don't get the good ending unless you max out the main character's reputation with all of the castaways which you do by giving them gifts, and doing quests for them. Basically, doing EVERYTHING in the game. I did a lot of side stuff, but there was some that I wasn't interested in doing.

This isn't the type of game that should have a good and bad ending since it follows one strict story arc with no choice making. I watched the good ending on YouTube, and it should be the only ending that the game has since it wraps up the story the way that it's meant to. I felt cheated that I didn't get it considering that I played the game rather thoroughly just not doing some of the mundane character side quests. I feel that the only games that should have multiple endings are choice-driven ones that offer different endings based on the choices that you make throughout.

While the core gameplay and environments were a bit repetitive and it dragged at times, it was still an entertaining adventure overall. If you like anime style action JRPGs similar to the Tales series then I would recommend checking it out.

Sakura Wars and Streets of Rage 4 come out this week.
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 121: 4/25/20: Sakura Wars/Streets of Rage 4 Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:42 am I felt cheated that I didn't get it considering that I played the game rather thoroughly just not doing some of the mundane character side quests.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Some games - especially some rpgs - have absurd requirements for different endings. And it's often near impossible to achieve many of them without following a guide which, to me, is a bit ridiculous too.

I'm still playing Curious Expedition and SOTC remake. I'm only allowing myself to tackle one Colossus per day since I want to savor the game. Who knows when or if I'll ever return to it.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
crimson_tide

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 121: 4/25/20: Sakura Wars/Streets of Rage 4 Edition

Post by crimson_tide »

Played: AC Odyssey, Playstation Now (which works surprisingly well! ), Fist Of The North Star Lost Paradise :D :D :D

Beat: Nothing

Bought: Lost Paradise, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, The Last Remnant

You have no clue how much I needed Lost Paradise right now! I will Jojo it up after this and play through Odyssey in drips and drabs in between. I dig it so far.

I look forward to phase's thoughts on Fatal Bullet. I haven't dove into that one yet and he gives some pretty thorough breakdowns.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 34 games

Already in chapter 5 in Kiwami 2, where a ton of side stuff has opened up. I think I'll focus on one thing right away, perhaps the Cabaret stuff. 8-)

And I completed one of the most talked about side missions in all of Yakuza, the baby one. I took a bunch of screenshots, so maybe I'll post them later.
isthatallyougot

jfissel wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:10 am Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 34 games

Already in chapter 5 in Kiwami 2, where a ton of side stuff has opened up. I think I'll focus on one thing right away, perhaps the Cabaret stuff. 8-)

And I completed one of the most talked about side missions in all of Yakuza, the baby one. I took a bunch of screenshots, so maybe I'll post them later.
I've debated playing the original Yakaza 2 vs Kiwami 2. I try to avoid spoilers if I can, but any reason to pick one over the other j? (Assuming you've played both.)

Obviously Kiwami will look better, and probably play better, but any significant content cut or anything like that?

Looking forward to those screens!

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Please play Kiwami 2. I just beat it...in December? January? Whatever, it was recent. It's Yakuza 2 but prettier. While it may be my least favorite Yakuza still (except said substory J mentioned. That substory is amazing), it's still Yakuza so it's better than 99% of other games in my eyes. It's beat for beat the same game in every way that matters. The biggest changes I remember:

-The host club changed to be the hostess brigade manager from Yakuza 0 since it's partially set in Sotenbori.

-There is a Majima story.

-The clan creator from 6 is in here.

-...It's prettier?

It's best to just play this one, Yakuza 2 Kiwami is the definitive Yakuza 2 in my eyes.

Oh and don't look at those amazing screens J will post if you don't want spoilers. That substory should not be spoiled for anyone...
isthatallyougot

thanks crim. I guess I know what to do. Should have sold my PS2 Yakuza 2 before it got devalued, lol.

argyle

Post by argyle »

I'm going to forgo my typical weekly format until I can get my behind to actually post weekly - and I'm trying! :lol:

I'm mainly been playing a ludicrous amount of Animal Crossing. Someone asked me a week (or two?) ago if I was working towards something in particular or just messing around and I guess my answer is...yes? :P There are constantly goals to accomplish, new events popping up - and it's one of those super rare games where most of the goals you will be working towards will be self-created. I'm still building things on my island, getting new ideas, working with it. It's just insanely addictive in a way that's difficult to describe. I have around 250 hours in it so far, so that should say something. ;)

I haven't been playing a ton of FF7, not because it isn't awesome (because it is) but just because I haven't been in a big RPG / story-driven game mood. Much like izzy said about SotC, I want to savor that game so part of that means not forcing myself to play it when I'm not completely in the mood to do so.

So the other game I've been playing is Doom Eternal, and now that I've gotten a little further into it I'll say that it's good but not AS good as the last game. Part of it is level design, while there are definitely tons of secrets to discover the levels in Eternal are more linear. In the last game I remember many of the levels being big open areas that you'd travel back & forth in looking for keys, secrets, etc. I haven't come across any of that yet in Eternal. Another thing is I think they kinda added TOO MUCH to the game. One of the great things about the first was its simplicity - shoot, kill, move on. In this one, you can level up *everything*. Your character levels up via xp. You find & add mods to your weapons. You gain points that level up those mods. You gain different points that level up your suit. You get...batteries?...that you use to unlock things in your ship.

Then there's the plot. Yeah. Plot...in Doom. I'm as confused as you probably are right now. Previously (as in, as far as I remember in every Doom game ever) the plot as been: Scientists did something stupid, accidentally opened portals to Hell, you have to kill all the demons. End plot. Now in this one there's this convoluted mess that has something to do with some demon queen or something, and hints that you originally worked for the demons, and they took over earth at some point, and there are demonic priests that you're after, and they monologue...and I'm getting all this without even reading the stupid codex entries I'm constantly finding that have even MORE plot. I don't WANT plot in my Doom, I just want to shoot things.

Oh, and the final thing - they made it crazy difficult. I kicked it down to "easy" a level or two back (the levels are HUGE, so it's hard to say) and it is NOT easy. There is a constant flood of enemies at all times, and they spawn all around you. Getting killed by something that appeared behind you that you didn't even know was there is a regular occurrence. There's also a crazy amount of platforming and, well, first-person platforming has never been the best.

I'm honestly kinda considering putting it down for now, maybe selling it & seeing if I want to pick it back up later when it's dirt cheap. I grabbed 3 this weekend in Gamestop's b2g1 sale they ran: Ghost Recon: Wildlands, Berserk and the Band of the Hawk & AC Origins (for the 'Bone, thinking about playing through it again there). I may pop in one of those.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:43 pm I've debated playing the original Yakaza 2 vs Kiwami 2. I try to avoid spoilers if I can, but any reason to pick one over the other j? (Assuming you've played both.)

Obviously Kiwami will look better, and probably play better, but any significant content cut or anything like that?

Looking forward to those screens!
Agree with crim on this one. I don't believe anything was cut out, just either added or slightly changed. And if you're playing Kiwami 2 anytime soon, I can hold off on posting pictures. The substory can be completed relatively early on in the game, so it wouldn't take long to get there yourself.
isthatallyougot

I don't think I'm going to jump right into Kiwami 2 j. It's just been an ongoing thought in the Yakuza part of my brain. :P

But, I'll listen to you and crim's advice and play Kiwami 2 when I jump back into the series.