The Backlog Check-in Vol. 126: 5/30/20: PlayStation 5 Event Edition

jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 126: 5/30/20: PlayStation 5 Event Edition

Post by jfissel »

crimson_tide wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:39 pm I am thoroughly hooked on Odyssey now. I like everything I am doing because it pushes you to be ridiculously aggressive. There is no subtlety at all, you just hit things hard all the time. I might be playing it entirely wrong but I am having a ball!
You can play however you want. I went for a stealth/melee build...basically stay stealthy until that goes to hell and then I've got the skills to do some good damage.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

crimson_tide wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:52 pm https://grantland.com/the-triangle/nhlp ... showdown/ it was NHL 93! The fighting was so bad they took it out in 94. I had to find out which one it was :P

I used to work in the Ice Palace in Tampa when I was in college as an usher. I saw someone get thrown through the glass during a Lightning game. Live hockey is so dang baller!
Ok, that makes sense. I never played '93. Maybe I should - sounds like fun. And yeah, live hockey is fantastic!

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I started playing Outward, and I'm mildly enjoying it so far. It's a third person open world action RPG that's a mix of Dark Souls, Risen and Skyrim. It's a low budget small team indie game which shows with its low end production values. Its environment graphics are decent, but the characters are fugly.

You choose either a male or female character, and there are a few faces and hairstyles to choose from. The faces range from ugly to uglier, but there's a decent amount of hairstyles and hair colors to choose from. The female character that I chose looks okay despite having a deer in headlights look on her face. The overall aesthetic of the game is medieval fantasy similar to Risen and Skyrim.

The core combat is somewhat slow and methodical similar to Dark Souls, and the game in general lacks handholding similar to Dark Souls as well. There's no quest markers, you have to discover everything by listening to directions given by NPCs and exploring. There's also no mounts or fast traveling, you have to travel everywhere on foot.

There's a bit of a story that's conveyed through still screens and text, and character interaction. You're given quests by NPCs, and they're listed in a quest log in your inventory. There's an emphasis on crafting, so you gather a lot of crafting components. There's a lot of loot to find by exploring as well. You gain a lot of different weapon types early on just by having a look around the environments. There's some sim elements as well such as needing to eat, drink and sleep to keep up your stamina. Despite its somewhat simple look, it's a fairly complex and deep RPG. There's a lot of mechanics and menus, but they're fairly intuitive.

Based on what I've played of it so far I'm finding it to be a solid effort from a small indie team, and there's some charm to it. I'm enjoying it enough to keep playing it for now. I think that it's something that izzy would really like.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:18 am Based on what I've played of it so far I'm finding it to be a solid effort from a small indie team, and there's some charm to it. I'm enjoying it enough to keep playing it for now. I think that it's something that izzy would really like.
Yeah, it's been on my steam wishlist. I always just wait for cheap sales or bundles for most things because sooner or later they're dirt cheap somewhere. It does look fun to me though. Hope you enjoy it.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I was just enjoying Odyssey and that real world Layla nonsense kicked in! Now I don't want to play anymore tonight...is there ANY Assassin's Creed game that doesn't have these truly awful real world segments? They are so bad...
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

crimson_tide wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:52 pm NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I was just enjoying Odyssey and that real world Layla nonsense kicked in! Now I don't want to play anymore tonight...is there ANY Assassin's Creed game that doesn't have these truly awful real world segments? They are so bad...
I was interested in that one until I heard about the modern stuff. Ugh, the worst.