The Backlog Check-in Vol. 126: 5/30/20: PlayStation 5 Event Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 126: 5/30/20: PlayStation 5 Event Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Bloodborne, Rage 2

Finished (playing): Bloodborne

Playing: Rage 2

I'm officially done playing Bloodborne now, and possibly forever. Not just because the bosses are tough, but because I think that I've reached a point in gaming where I require them to have entertaining stories and interesting characters to keep me engrossed and make me want to keep pushing on to see what's going to happen next. With a game like Bloodborne there's barely any story except for obtuse snippets here and there, and you play as a generic voiceless avatar that makes their way through environments trying to survive countless enemies that want to kill you eventually reaching a really big enemy that wants to kill you and impedes your progress until you defeat it. Lather, rinse and repeat for its entirety without anything else really happening throughout the game. You play it strictly for its gameplay, combat and to see more of the world and the enemies that inhabit it which is perfectly fine for those who don't need more than that from the games that they play, but I do.

I'm probably going to quit playing Rage 2 for pretty much the same reason despite playing it for 20 hours. I've pretty much been doing the same exact things in it for 20 hours, and I've reached a point where I'm getting burned out since there's not much of a feeling of progression despite putting so much time into it. While there's a story and characters, both are paper thin and just there enough to give a reason to shoot ****. Neither are entertaining or interesting enough to want to see to the end. While I've been enjoying the gameplay and combat, it starts to grow stale after a while when the game doesn't really offer anything else beyond it. I'm still sticking with it for now since I've played so much of it, but I'm reaching a point in it where I'm losing interest in playing it.

In other news...
jfissel wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:39 pmPS5 event on June 4th at 4pm Eastern!
isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 126: 5/30/20: PlayStation 5 Event Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:25 am I think that I've reached a point in gaming where I require them to have entertaining stories and interesting characters to keep me engrossed and make me want to keep pushing on to see what's going to happen next... You play it strictly for its gameplay, combat and to see more of the world and the enemies that inhabit it which is perfectly fine for those who don't need more than that from the games that they play, but I do.
I know we're different as gamers, but that (Souls/Bloodborne) is my favorite type of narrative delivery. I love a narrative that is under the surface that you have to suss out and piece together. For me, I really enjoy narratives that require my imagination more than direct explanation. I'm always more engaged in those situations.

I finished up a very hard run of Bulletstorm - my 3rd straight run of the game, and it was really fun minus a couple of cheap spots. I want to play some of the Echoes mode and see how fun that is. Such a great game!

I also fired up NHL '94 (Genesis version) for some reason. I love that old hockey game, and I was in the mood, so I did.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

It's the shocking violence in NHL 94 izzy. It's ok, that's why everyone likes that game :) .

Played: way way too many things before getting sucked into AC Odyssey. Guess this game will be June for me...

Beat: nuttin'.

Bought: nuttin'.

Man Odyssey is flipping gorgeous! Origins was a looker even given the desert setting and Odyssey might be even better somehow. The models and animations are fine but those settings and that ocean...man, they nailed it.

As for the game, made it to the title a lot quicker than Origins. And I kinda dig the sea combat. I think it's because I can raid the other ships, that's a lot of fun. It's also easier to tool around than menus and whatnot considering you have to do that a lot in this game. I picked Kassandra (hey, Ubi...JUST COMMIT TO A FEMALE LEAD ALREADY, YOU DON'T NEED A DUDE ON THE BOX TO SELL THE DANG GAME. LIBERATION FAILED BECAUSE YOU RELEASED IT EXCLUSIVELY ON THE VITA, WHY DID YOU THINK THAT WOULD SELL? YOU LEARNED THE WRONG LESSON DO BETTER NOW PLEASE). She's cool. Her character model is really great. They seem to get those models right in these games, the main character always looks great. Everyone else...is fine. I guess. I like that you can respec anytime, that's a cool feature. I really am enjoying this game.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:55 amthat (Souls/Bloodborne) is my favorite type of narrative delivery. I love a narrative that is under the surface that you have to suss out and piece together. For me, I really enjoy narratives that require my imagination more than direct explanation. I'm always more engaged in those situations.
It's the opposite for me, I like fairly straightforward cinematic stories and a lot of character interaction in games. But different strokes for different folks.
isthatallyougot wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:55 amI finished up a very hard run of Bulletstorm - my 3rd straight run of the game, and it was really fun minus a couple of cheap spots. I want to play some of the Echoes mode and see how fun that is. Such a great game!
You played the game three times in a row? DAYUM!!!!
crimson_tide wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:42 pmI picked Kassandra (hey, Ubi...JUST COMMIT TO A FEMALE LEAD ALREADY, YOU DON'T NEED A DUDE ON THE BOX TO SELL THE DANG GAME. LIBERATION FAILED BECAUSE YOU RELEASED IT EXCLUSIVELY ON THE VITA, WHY DID YOU THINK THAT WOULD SELL? YOU LEARNED THE WRONG LESSON DO BETTER NOW PLEASE).
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: The Witness

Now Playing: Not sure

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 32 games

Finished The Witness last week - interesting puzzle game. I wish there was more variety in the puzzle types though as a lot of them used grids that you moved around inside. But overall, solid game. Not sure what I'll play before The Last of Us Part II releases...perhaps LittleBigPlanet 3 or Detroit: Become Human.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:39 pmPS5 event on June 4th at 4pm Eastern!
Not anymore, Sony has canceled the event due to the current protesting, rioting and looting going on in the country.
isthatallyougot

crimson_tide wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:42 pm It's the shocking violence in NHL 94 izzy. It's ok, that's why everyone likes that game :) .
Shocking violence? Well, it's hockey, but I don't remember any major violence. Unless you just mean the checks?

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:16 am You played the game three times in a row? DAYUM!!!!
It's just great fun. And I wanted to see if the higher difficulties changed up things much, but they really didn't except for a couple cheap spots. I'm still playing it though. Echoes mode is a fun score attack mode that gives you star ratings based on how much you mix things up and how many points you score in short runs of various in-game sections. Just a ridiculously hilarious and fun time.

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Wait, is it NHL 95? I used to play a Genesis hockey game that had a bug that had you either not get penalized for fighting or made it so you fought for any interaction. Point is, we would just fight constantly in the game, it was a blast! It was 94 or 95, now I can't remember which...

I am thoroughly hooked on Odyssey now. I like everything I am doing because it pushes you to be ridiculously aggressive. There is no subtlety at all, you just hit things hard all the time. I might be playing it entirely wrong but I am having a ball!
isthatallyougot

Yeah crim, I don't remember any fighting in NHL '94 for the Genesis, but maybe I just haven't had it happen and have forgotten about it. Hockey fights are fun though!

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/nhlp ... showdown/ it was NHL 93! The fighting was so bad they took it out in 94. I had to find out which one it was :P

I used to work in the Ice Palace in Tampa when I was in college as an usher. I saw someone get thrown through the glass during a Lightning game. Live hockey is so dang baller!