The Backlog Check-in Vol. 137: 8/15/20: Mortal Shell Edition

crimson_tide

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 137: 8/15/20: Mortal Shell Edition

Post by crimson_tide »

I think I only fought any Amon fights three times: the boss fight in the story of Yakuza; the end of the surprisingly long Yakuza 3 hitman sidequest where I lost because I wasn't prepared for it at all and he had a henchman; and in Yakuza 5 but only the part with Haruka because dance battles which I never beat (I was so obsessed with Haruka's dance battles...my wife was extremely confused). I tend to avoid them because that's not why I play Yakuza. Hell, I'm getting to the point where if it's not Yakuza, Ratchet or Kingdom Hearts (re: game series I am super familiar with), I am cranking it down to easy so I can see all of the game because gaming time is such a precious commodity and I don't have time for dying and all that nonsense :P.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

crim, I hear you on that. Time is short. I think this will be my third game finished in two years (the others being Red Dead and DQXI).

Thanks for that strategy, j! I tried a couple of times last night using others and got destroyed. Amon is an SOB.

I'll give it a few more tries tonight, and that'll be it. I'm not getting 100% anyway... I've done all the other substories and finished the business and adventure checklists, but nowhere near completing everything under battle or minigames.

All in all, a spectacular game... hard to argue against it being No. 1 in the series, although I still haven't played 6.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:39 am crim, I hear you on that. Time is short. I think this will be my third game finished in two years (the others being Red Dead and DQXI).

Thanks for that strategy, j! I tried a couple of times last night using others and got destroyed. Amon is an SOB.

I'll give it a few more tries tonight, and that'll be it. I'm not getting 100% anyway... I've done all the other substories and finished the business and adventure checklists, but nowhere near completing everything under battle or minigames.

All in all, a spectacular game... hard to argue against it being No. 1 in the series, although I still haven't played 6.
Even with that strategy (or any other strategy), you still have to execute and not mess up. It's hard regardless!
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Ummmm...has anybody seen the cover to Madden this year? Is some EA exec letting their Soundcloud rapper kid design these things based on their album cover art skills? Is this really what they're going with? I can't post pics on my phone for some reason but Google that cover...yikes.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

crimson_tide wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:18 am Ummmm...has anybody seen the cover to Madden this year? Is some EA exec letting their Soundcloud rapper kid design these things based on their album cover art skills? Is this really what they're going with? I can't post pics on my phone for some reason but Google that cover...yikes.
Low effort company, low effort cash grabs. (yeah, I've seen it.) The FIFA box is just as amateurish.

Watch me put pictures together in a collage edition. :P EA is such a pathetic company. Trip Hawkins deserved better.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Madden's design may suck but the cover athlete is a boss.

Not a boss? Me, trying to beat Jo Amon last night. :lol:

My co-workers are talking up Fall Guys. Y'all know I'm not big into online gaming but that seems like good dumb fun. Have you played it?
isthatallyougot

I just hope we get a full season of Lamar and everyone else running around like a boss.

I thought Fall Guys looked like ridiculous fun. I may fire it up and see if I like it since it's free on +. (I think I'm finally going to let my plus expire when it runs out in a couple of months. I play more on PC than console anyway.)

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Amen to that!

Are you optimistic about the Teddy B Panthers? Would you rather see 2-14 with Trevor Lawrence in Charlotte in 2021?
isthatallyougot

I am high on Teddy, but not expecting the Panthers in totality to really be competitive this season. Too much turnover / young players - especially on defense. I think Rhule and Brady will prove to be very good coaches on the NFL level, but it's hard to rebuild quickly, and especially during these unusual circumstances.

I'm not one to ever hope for tanking though. It's just at odds with the spirit of competition to me, and I don't understand fans who hope to see their team lose. No draft pick is a guaranteed savior for any team. Go out and be the best team you can. That will serve you best in the long run imho. You don't build winning cultures by treating losing casually.

Maybe the Ravens can exorcise the demons of last year's post-season this year. I blame their loss against TN on Harbaugh. He's a great coach, but I think he / his staff lost their poise a bit in that game. Anytime your QB is throwing close to 60 times a game is a bad thing. The game was never that far gone. They lost their balance, and being such a great running team, that was a shame to see.

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Fall Guys looks like fun, although I have not downloaded it yet. I'm sure I will after Ghost is completed.