The Backlog Check-in Vol. 137: 8/15/20: Mortal Shell Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 137: 8/15/20: Mortal Shell Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Ghost of Tsushima

Finished: Ghost of Tsushima

Playing: ?

I finished Ghost of Tsushima, and really enjoyed my time with it. Everything about it was good including its story, characters, graphics, sound and gameplay. Its open world is beautiful, and it has some of the best melee combat that I've experienced in a game. My only real complaint is that after the first act (out of three) it starts to feel a bit same-y, and I was definitely ready for things to wrap up when I made it to Act 3. I was satisfied with its conclusion, and the overall game in general. It's one of the best games that I've played this year, and this generation.

I'm not sure what I'm going to play now. I'm going to browse my large library of games, and see what grabs my attention.

Mortal Shell comes out this week.
jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 137: 8/15/20: Mortal Shell Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Ghost of Tsushima

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 34 games

Still working my way through Ghost - roaming around the second area cleaning up side stuff and gaining loot/skills. Continuing to love the art style in this game, it really looks great. I'm trying to take some screenshots at cool moments, but I usually forget to do so...will post some after I beat it.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Played: Persona 5 Royal, Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix

Bought: Nothing

Playing this week: Persona 5 Royal

So it's all Persona 5 Royal all the time pretty much now. Did the second palace, the boss was great! I really enjoy the Mementos thing...until I want to leave. I hope there's a quick exit I missed somewhere. But it's otherwise a really elegant solution to grinding and getting new personas. I cannot stress how much I flipping love guns. I will admit that some of the relationship paths I will be avoiding at all costs. I really don't like the idea of clearly older women being romantic options for a high school boy. It's just not even remotely ok, especially one in particular that open up later on. It's just not cool. However, romance options never really appeal to me in games anyway but they did go too far from what I can tell. I wish I could say I was being a prude, but no. If it were a female MC, people would lose their minds. It's really a tiny blemish on an otherwis exceptional game but still...ewwww.

Also puzzle fighter is in PS Now! The hell, that's a great pick and play for a few minutes so I have been playing that again, it's so dang good!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Played recently: Yakuza 0

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 35 (13 PS4, 9 Vita, 7 3DS/2DS, 5 PS2)

All right, I've done everything I care to do in Yakuza except for the Amon fight at the end. All other substories, adventure and business 100%. Not worrying about maxing out battle stuff or doing Shogi, etc.

Any tips for Aman, aside from having tons of sacrifice stones and Haku drink?
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

This just released today, and I'm so tempted to get it right away. Really looks like it would be right up my alley, but the backlog - she is too loggy.

Anyone else interested/aware?

I've been playing more of Golden Treasure : The Great Green and coming to grips with it. I'm enjoying embodying a dragon, and the writing and atmosphere have continued to be very engaging.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I saw that trailer and thought it looked like my kind of game... up until I saw the focus is on saying goodbye to dead loved ones. I've had to do enough of that in real life.
isthatallyougot

canedaddy wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:36 pm I saw that trailer and thought it looked like my kind of game... up until I saw the focus is on saying goodbye to dead loved ones. I've had to do enough of that in real life.
I'm sorry to hear that cane. But what is life but a long letting-go? I try to die/let-go with every breath. Holding on in a transient world is a recipe for suffering imo. I just don't own any of it - every moment fresh and brand new. (Ok enough philosophizing. :P)

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I recognize that's a big part of life, just not sure I want to dwell on that aspect during my fun time. :P
isthatallyougot

canedaddy wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:40 am I recognize that's a big part of life, just not sure I want to dwell on that aspect during my fun time. :P
Yeah, I hear you. They don't blend so well, lol.

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:49 pm All right, I've done everything I care to do in Yakuza except for the Amon fight at the end. All other substories, adventure and business 100%. Not worrying about maxing out battle stuff or doing Shogi, etc.

Any tips for Aman, aside from having tons of sacrifice stones and Haku drink?
Amon fights are always very difficult. I don't remember specifically in 0 if there are any good weapon/armor/item strategies to use.

Looking up a FAQ:
"Prepare for this fight. Fill up your inventory with Incomparable Habu Drinks and get the best Mail armor you can make from Dragon & Tiger. May want to get some Sacrifice Stones on you as well. Don't worry about weapons. Don't worry about specific abilities, because we're going Mad Dog for this one (which you must have in order to get to this anyway).

Jo Amon has thirteen health bars and is wise to almost all your dumb tricks. There is one ace up your sleeve that you'll use against him: Mad Dog Trick: Demonfire. That's the move where you hold R1 to be in fighting stance, then press Triangle just as your enemy attacks. It cuts deep into Amon and is pretty much the only way you're guaranteed to cause damage.

Amon begins the fight with a quick punch-kick combo. He'll also throw stuff at you. You'd think those are knives, but check your inventory. If you had any empty space, he threw tissues and "Stanamin Spork" in there. Don't use the Spork, because it will drain your health. Once you drain about eight of his health bars, he'll pull out a knife and basically work his own Mad Dog magic on you. Keep pressing the Demonfire attack over and over. WATCH your health, because if he gets hits on you with his knife, your health will drain HARD, so be ready to jump into the Pause Menu and drink up. The same strategy works, though."