The Backlog Check-in Vol. 139: 8/29/20: Ary and the Secret of Seasons/Avengers Edition

jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 139: 8/29/20: Ary and the Secret of Seasons/Avengers Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Ghost of Tsushima

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 34 games

Currently in the third and final map area of Ghost, roaming around doing the side stuff again before tackling the main story missions.

Ary looks pretty good - post some impressions after you guys put some time into it.
Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 139: 8/29/20: Ary and the Secret of Seasons/Avengers Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:05 amAry looks pretty good - post some impressions after you guys put some time into it.
I will when I get it, I'm still waiting for it from Amazon.

In other news, it looks like I was right about Avengers - the single player campaign is only around 10 hours long which is definitely on the short side for a $60 AAA game. It's something that I will get when it's a lot cheaper.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:43 pm
jfissel wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:05 amAry looks pretty good - post some impressions after you guys put some time into it.
I will when I get it, I'm still waiting for it from Amazon.

In other news, it looks like I was right about Avengers - the single player campaign is only around 10 hours long which is definitely on the short side for a $60 AAA game. It's something that I will get when it's a lot cheaper.
I hear it's extremely buggy too, and basically a cash grab. Too bad.

Unfortunately I had preordered the Switch version of Ary, and had gotten it on a deal so I couldn't cancel & switch systems without losing said deal (half price). I was afraid the Switch port would be rough, and apparently it's REALLY rough. Couldn't cancel in time after I found out, but due to the price I got it at I won't have any trouble selling it & recouping my money (plus a little, probably). Still, sucks that I won't be getting it right now - I'll wait for a deal on the PS4 version now.

I caved last night & ordered Captain Tsubasa for pickup at my local Wally World. Would have went & got it today, but it's still ungodly hot and I couldn't make myself go out just for that. I'll go grab it tomorrow.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Well it looks like my wife is getting that Mario 35th anniversary collection for her birthday next month. Kinda wish they put Galaxy 2 on there, I liked that one better than Galaxy. I also still have no affinity for anything else in this collection because Mario is not cool like Sonic. Yes, I am still that guy...GENESIS DOES WHAT NINTENDON'T :P
argyle

Post by argyle »

crimson_tide wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:41 am Well it looks like my wife is getting that Mario 35th anniversary collection for her birthday next month. Kinda wish they put Galaxy 2 on there, I liked that one better than Galaxy. I also still have no affinity for anything else in this collection because Mario is not cool like Sonic. Yes, I am still that guy...GENESIS DOES WHAT NINTENDON'T :P
Mario Sunshine is amazing. And I feel obligated to post this now:
1219784882919by0.png
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

argyle wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:39 pm Mario Sunshine is amazing.
I don't know that I ever knew we had another Sunshine aficionado here!?! Such an amazing game. I'll never understand the haters.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Post by argyle »

isthatallyougot wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:20 am
argyle wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:39 pm Mario Sunshine is amazing.
I don't know that I ever knew we had another Sunshine aficionado here!?! Such an amazing game. I'll never understand the haters.
Yeah, me either.
TightWindyGentoopenguin-max-1mb.gif
TightWindyGentoopenguin-max-1mb.gif (787.84 KiB) Viewed 6967 times
Honestly, Mario 64 is the one out of that group that I don't care anything about. It was neat in that it was probably the first real 3d platformer, or the first one of note anyway, and it pioneered a lot of controls for that type of game. But as a game I've always found it kinda bland. Don't think I've ever finished that one. Sunshine has WAY more personality, and I've only played the first handful of levels of Galaxy so that will mostly be new for me. I would have liked Galaxy 2 as well, but part of me thinks they may put out a second collection w/ that one, New SMB Wii and maybe Super Mario 3D Land.

Then again, it IS Nintendo, so they probably won't do anything like that.

EDIT: On the plus side, because of the multiple rumors lately that they were going to announce this collection any time now, I sold my GC copy of Sunshine a couple weeks ago for about $75. :D

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

argyle wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:39 pm
Mario Sunshine is amazing. And I feel obligated to post this now:

1219784882919by0.png
First, I am a Sunshine hater. Sorry. And Mario 64 I never liked. At all. But Galaxy was cute. And Galaxy 2 was better, wish they just did the Galaxy games honestly. And Nintendo's Disney Vaulting this collection in March 2021. I hate Nintendo, why are they doing that with a digital game? It's DIGITAL AND THEY OWN THE IP. I really can't with them.

Second, :lol: :lol: :lol: the Sonic cycle is what it is.

Third...there's like 5 of you here so I can probably just go ahead and say this: I don't like Sonic Mania. Like even a little. It just doesn't for me at all. I know, I know, I of all people here should slob the knob of the Sonic cycle breaker but I think I just don't care for that style of Sonic anymore except for pure nostalgia meaning it has to be a Genesis 2D Sonic or I don't care. Plus, Titanic Monarch is just the worst final stage with bad gimmicks everywhere and I didn't like the Sonic CD emerald levels then and I still don't now. In fact if I had to choose between Mania and Forces, it's Forces all day. I liked that trash game so much...it's so dumb!

Man, feels good to get that off my chest somewhere!
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

crimson_tide wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:28 am And Nintendo's Disney Vaulting this collection in March 2021. I hate Nintendo, why are they doing that with a digital game? It's DIGITAL AND THEY OWN THE IP. I really can't with them.
Yeah, Nintendo's got some grubby little paws, for sure.

But I don't play their games. If I want to play, and I don't want to do it their way, I do it mine. ;) I've given them enough money over the years. Stay in school kids. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I haven't kept up with this... but you should be able to buy pretty much any Nintendo game ever on Switch. I'm assuming that's laughably false, right? Every time I've had a Nintendo system in recent years I've gotten very aggravated that I can't play this game or that, it's locked on some system from 20 years ago or whatnot. Super frustrating.

I've never played Sunshine for that very reason.