The Backlog Check-in Vol. 139: 8/29/20: Ary and the Secret of Seasons/Avengers Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 139: 8/29/20: Ary and the Secret of Seasons/Avengers Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Asdivine Dios

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Asdivine Dios

Added: Ara Fell, Fernz Gate, The Forest, Legend of the Tetrarchs, Observation, Sword & Fairy 6, Wasteland 2

The big game coming out this week is Avengers, but I'm more interested in the smaller game coming out this week - Ary and the Secret of Seasons. While I'm interested in Avengers, it's not something that I'm interested in enough to buy on day one for $60. While it has a single player campaign (which will probably be on the short side), it's more multiplayer focused always needing to be connected online. They could have made a really big and epic single player Avengers game, but of course opted to make it a GaaS (Games as a Service) game instead. So I'm going to buy Ary and the Secret of Seasons on day one instead, and it's only $40. It's an old school style third person action adventure platform puzzle game with a colorful Disney-like aesthetic. These were some of my favorite types of games back in the day, and we hardly get them anymore. I've watched enough gameplay videos of it to know that it's for me. It looks charming, cute, humorous and fun which is what I'm in the mood for right now since I haven't been feeling the greatest.

NBA 2K21 and Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 come out this week too.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 139: 8/29/20: Ary and the Secret of Seasons/Avengers Edition

Post by argyle »

I didn't realize Ary was this week - I've had that one preordered a while myself. Looking forward to it. :)

Games added: Death end re;Quest 2

Last week: Finished Transformers: Devastation, played Death end re;Quest, Fate/extella Link and a little Animal Crossing

This week: Probably more of the same

BTW, you guys should check your ebay accounts to see if you qualify for this targeted deal - if you do, the code HAPPY25 will get you $25 off of anything over $25. Just add something over that price to your cart (don't do a buy it now!), proceed to checkout & enter the code - if it works, you can then back out & find something you want. :) It worked for me but not Tam - I used it to order a game I've had my eye on for a bit but has become somewhat scarce.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 139: 8/29/20: Ary and the Secret of Seasons/Avengers Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

argyle wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:03 am BTW, you guys should check your ebay accounts to see if you qualify for this targeted deal - if you do, the code HAPPY25 will get you $25 off of anything over $25. Just add something over that price to your cart (don't do a buy it now!), proceed to checkout & enter the code - if it works, you can then back out & find something you want. :) It worked for me but not Tam - I used it to order a game I've had my eye on for a bit but has become somewhat scarce.
Thanks alot argyle. It worked for me. I didn't know anything about it.

I played enough of Fall Guys to know that I didn't want to really invest more time. It's not bad, but it's just not that compelling to me. Funny presentation though, and good for a mild chuckle.

I'm not sure what I'm going to play next. We'll see.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Played recently: Dark Cloud 2

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: Dragon Quest Builders 2

Current backlog: 35 (14 PS4, 9 Vita, 7 3DS/2DS, 5 PS2)

Thanks for the word on the ebay deal, argyle! Do you guys have any suggestions on great PS4 or Vita games for $25 to $35? You all have a pretty good idea of what I like, I'm sure. Divinity II looks like it fits the bill.
isthatallyougot

canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:17 am Do you guys have any suggestions on great PS4 or Vita games for $25 to $35? You all have a pretty good idea of what I like, I'm sure. Divinity II looks like it fits the bill.
https://www.psu.com/news/best-fishing-games-for-ps4/

:P

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Haha... I didn't know Persona 5 has fishing.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

You inspired me, izzy... I bought a new fishing tackle bag with the $25. :lol:

Thanks again for the word, argyle!
isthatallyougot

canedaddy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:43 pm You inspired me, izzy... I bought a new fishing tackle bag with the $25. :lol:

Thanks again for the word, argyle!
Time for real life Red Dead Redemption! ;)

argyle

Post by argyle »

I'm glad you guys were able to get in on it as well! I found out about it from SlickDeals - but I got an email from eBay about it today (finally). Apparently it has something to do with it being their 25th anniversary, and it's given out to people who have accounts that are over a certain age.

I'm digging Fate/extella Link, it's definitely a step up from the first game. It's a Dynasty Warriors-like, so you either like those or you don't, but it's a REALLY good one. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

I have to look into this ebay thing. The only email I have from them is the same one I always get about...I guess it's two step verification? I never open the email, I haven't bought anything from them in years now...the hell is my password even :?: ...

Played: Persona 5 Royal, Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix

Beat; :lol:

This week: Same

Think I am about 70 hours or so into P5R. Just beat the 4th dungeon. Found the boss underwhelming honestly. Good concept, they just didn't do much and it became a war of attrition essentially. Also, if this is like Persona 4 and there's a villain that is someone I know, I am calling it now. There's this one insufferable dick of a person (well, 2 actually but one of them can't be evil because plot) that I actively hate and I kind of need them to be evil. I just want to shoot them. A lot. I must say though, as weird ass meditations on trauma focused on teenagers, these Persona games go HARD on these kids. It's almost too much but they deal with it well...so far. I finished that teacher subplot and it actually was fine, thank god. I thought that was going to be a bit much for me. I guess I am about half done now since the gimmick is each dungeon is one of the seven sins. There's probably a final one after these so I am pretty on track to be done with this by the end of September or beginning of October. It's good that they have a bit of a better hook than Persona 4 to frame the story this time. I remember walking away from P4 for months at a time on both PS2 and Vita. I really want to see this one through sooner rather than later :) .