The Backlog Check-in Vol. 140: 9/5/20: Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning/RPG Maker MV Edition

isthatallyougot

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 140: 9/5/20: Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning/RPG Maker MV Edition

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:14 pm As much as I like owning physical copies of games, I admit that it's nice to buy them digitally and get them instantly as opposed to having to go to a store and buy them (which is a 30 mile roundtrip for me which is NOT convenient), or waiting days/weeks for them to arrive in the mail. I wanted to play Ary and the Secret of Seasons the day that it came out so I preordered it expecting to receive it at least close to its release date because I thought that was the whole point of preordering, but now it's basically been a full week since it came out and it hasn't even shipped yet. I could have been playing it the day that it came out if I bought it digitally. Another drawback to physical copies of games is that the disc drive in your console has to be working to play them, if it goes out then you're screwed unless you get it repaired or buy another console neither of which are a convenient option. The disc drive has basically gone out in my Xbox 360 rendering my huge library of physical games useless until I get it repaired, or replace the console. The disc drive also started going out in my PS4, it wouldn't read discs at all until I discovered a fix online that said to place the console upside down which worked. But how long is that going to last? If I could go back in time I would be digital only with my PS4 for these reasons, not to mention that digital versions of big retail released games sometimes go on sale for just a few bucks which the physical versions never do. But I like owning physical copies of big retail released games, so I often pay more for them.
Digital has so many benefits that I've come to appreciate too. I've been very happy that way. I've been in the process of selling my physical collection and I made a small dent in that through e-bay, but sales have dried up alongside covid. (I'm tired of STUFF! :P) I guess people are really struggling. I hope things get better soon, but I think we may be (collectively) in for a very bumpy ride.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
crimson_tide

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 140: 9/5/20: Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning/RPG Maker MV Edition

Post by crimson_tide »

Oh, how quaint, some of you guys still buy games in boxes regularly :P

Played: Persona 5 Royal

Beat: :lol:

This week:...I think I might be about to beat P5R :shock:

So beat the 5th dungeon. **** the ****ing **** out of that ****ing **** of a boss. Terrible, terrible boss with the dumbest gimmick I could not believe they added to a dialogue heavy, story laden, turn based rpg. If they pulled that nonsense in Kingdom Hearts or something, it could have worked. Also, I totally called the villain. I think. I'm fairly certain. Possibly. We'll see. The story has picked up tremendously and I feel like I am speeding to a climax. They did that thing that they did in P4 though and broke the pacing in a weird way. But it righted itself now and I really can't wait to see what the hell is going on. Pretty dang balling ass baller game...except the 5th dungeon boss. Probably be at a solid 125 hours too. Was worth the end of my summer!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:33 am BTW, I read a review last night from someone I trust who said that the Amalur "remaster" is more of just an upscaled port with very little changed. Well, very little good changed - apparently they introduced a lot of bugs. :( After reading that, I just ordered Tam an $8 copy of the 360 version off of eBay, since it's one of the games that's backwards compatible w/ the XBOne. Glad I read that before dropping $40 on the port. I'll just move what I put down on it at Gamestop over to the Mario 3D collection.

I was hoping they had put the same care into the remaster that they did with Saints Row The Third, since they're both put out by THQ, but I guess that's not the case.
Well that sucks. Thanks for letting me know. I reckon (heh) I'll get THPS1&2 instead if I get the remaster bug... apparently it's very well done.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

GameStop shipped my copy of RPG Maker MV the day that it came out (September 8th), and I received it today. Amazon still hasn't shipped my copy of Ary and the Secret of Seasons despite having it in stock for a while now. :|