The Backlog Check-in Vol. 141: 9/12/20: Super Mario 3D All-Stars Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 141: 9/12/20: Super Mario 3D All-Stars Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Nothing

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Nothing

Added: RPG Maker MV, Trials of Mana

I haven't been feeling well, so I haven't been playing anything. I've just been wanting to play Ary and the Secret of Seasons because that's what I've been in the mood for, and thankfully Amazon finally shipped it and it's supposed to arrive Tuesday which will be exactly two weeks since it released. I'm so glad that I preordered it. :roll:

Super Mario 3D All-Stars comes out this week.
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 141: 9/12/20: Super Mario 3D All-Stars Edition

Post by argyle »

Games added: Mercenaries Saga, Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III

Last week: Finished nothing, played Fate/extella Link, Sundered

This week: Should finish Sundered, possibly Fate/extella as well

Picked up Sundered in a Switch eshop sale a few weeks back, decided to fire it up this week. It's a really fun hack'n'slash/platformer/rogue-like. Fantastic art and animation that reminds me of those old 70's/early 80's animated movies. I'm pretty sure I'm over half-way through it, so I should finish it up this week.
med_1505652041_image.jpg
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I finally started Silent Hill 4 : The Room. Despite absolutely loving the series, I put it off for so long because...I'm weird.

Really enjoying it so far.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Post by argyle »

Finished Sundered, really enjoyed it overall. I must say I'm not sure how much the random levels - or parts of them, more accurately - when you die added to the game. In games like Dead Souls or Rogue Legacy, the randomized levels play a big part in the addictive gameplay loop. But in Sundered...iunno, I feel like it may have been a little better with just a really good pre-designed map. Still, the game was very fun - the graphics as I mentioned before are gorgeous and the Lovecraft-ian setting was very interesting. The difficulty was just right too - challenging, but never overly frustrating. I didn't get the "good" ending, but that's fine with me. I watched the other 2 endings after I beat it. Anyway, another one in the books - next!
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I started playing Ary and the Secret of Seasons, and I've been enjoying it. It's a charming, cute and fun old school style third person action adventure platformer with puzzle elements. It seems like the type of cartoonish and colorful action platformer that would have come out in the PS2/Xbox/GameCube generation, and that's a good thing since there haven't been that many of these types of games over the years.

It's a mid tier game meaning that it's bigger budget than an indie game (hence its $39.99 price), but lower budget than a big release. The art style is appealing, and it plays good. The controls are easy to grasp, and are responsive which is important for a platformer. The story and characters have been likable, and it has a playful vibe to it that is hitting the spot right now. With my current health issues and all of the negative stuff that has been going on in the world this year, it's nice to play something pleasant like this.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Ghost of Tsushima (platinum #69, nice)

Now Playing: Hmmm

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 35 games

Had absolutely no time to play anything this past week (or so far this week). Reminder that another PS5 event is tomorrow at 4pm Eastern!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Well, price was revealed along with a couple new games. $499/$399 prices. God of War sequel 2021. Final Fantasy XVI. Also, PS Plus Collection has a ton of good PS4 games available at PS5 launch.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Soooo...is the PS4 fully backward compatible with PS4 or only with those games in that collection? Still confused...

Sup? School started and I have to go back into the building. Also that means lesson planning, grading, clubs, tutoring, calls home, IEP writing, commuting and all that fun stuff so less gaming. Oh well, got through a ton of my backlog with no commute and whatnot. Like BIG ones so there's that. Speaking of which...

Played: Persona 5 Royal

Beat: :lol:

This week: all Royal all the time baby!

Beat the 6th dungeon. Good dungeon and boss but then there's so much plot...like they go overboard making sure you understand a plot point that was largely unnecessary. I got it about 40 or 50 hours before they drop ALL OF THE EXPOSITION. Still, love the game, at the 7th dungeon and hopefully beat it by next week. The dungeon, not the game. I might beat this game by October at this rate. About 130+ hours now, hopefully it tops out at 150 or so.

And I still want to play FF14 after this...might have to go for some shorter fare first though after this beast...
argyle

Post by argyle »

crimson_tide wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:54 pm Soooo...is the PS4 fully backward compatible with PS4 or only with those games in that collection? Still confused...
Fully. Well, technically they're saying 99% to cover their backsides for the inevitable handful of games that will have some weird issues.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Both Horizon Forbidden West and Spider-Man: Miles Morales are coming to the PS4, and there’s speculation that the next God of War will be too since it’s a 2021 release and Sony stated that they still plan on supporting the PS4 for the next 3+ years. These factors along with the disc version of the PS5 costing $499.99 and PS5 games costing $69.99 are going to make waiting to go next gen even easier for me. I have no doubt that the PS5 is going to be a great console, but I’m more than satisfied with my PS4 right now and plan to be for the next few years.