The Backlog Check-in Vol. 142: 9/19/20: 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim Edition

argyle

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 142: 9/19/20: 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim Edition

Post by argyle »

Games added: Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk

Last week: Finished Sundered, played Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

This week: Wrap up Bloodstained, then most likely start 13 Sentinels. And probably something on the Switch since I'm going down to visit my folks this week.

Man, Nintendo really Nintendo'd-up the Mario collection. :| The camera controls in Mario Sunshine were inverted in the original. So what did they do? They reversed them and left out any option for you to put them back to how they were. I played for about 5 minutes, realized that they screwed them up and that that REALLY wasn't working for me, and quit. Looked it up to see if I was missing something, and saw that a LOT of people are not happy about it. Hopefully they patch that crap. Compare if you will the Ratchet & Clank remake for the PS4, which is one of the greatest remakes ever - completely rebuilt from the ground up to be the same game but better in every regard. Then see how Nintendo squeezed out the "remaster" of Sunshine, a game that came out around the same time as R&C originally, by just up-resing it, making it widescreen, and then screwing up the controls for good measure. Yay!

I've had my eye on 13 Sentinels for a LONG time now, because it's been in development for years. It's the latest VanillaWare jam, and it's been getting nothing but rave reviews.

BTW, if it interests you and like me you still prefer physical media, know that it's an end of a generation Atlus title so it's pretty much guaranteed to get a really small print run. Don't sleep on it!
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 142: 9/19/20: 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Still hmmm, lol

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 35 games

Another week without playing anything. *sigh* Really need to finish up the plat in Detroit and then try out Cuphead and I am Bread.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

argyle wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:49 am ...the Ratchet & Clank remake for the PS4, which is one of the greatest remakes ever - completely rebuilt from the ground up to be the same game but better in every regard.

I'm still playing Silent Hill 4. I've not been gaming too much lately though. Really great entry in the series for me though, despite its differences from the original trilogy.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Played recently: Dragon Quest Builders 2

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 35 (14 PS4, 9 Vita, 7 3DS/2DS, 5 PS2)

Sooo... 13 Sentinels interests me because Vanillaware, but I heard it's an RTS, which is my least favorite genre. Is that correct?
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

I am fairly certain you are correct, old man. I watched a 20 minute playthrough and it seems to be part visual novel, part RTS.,, Could be wrong but it looked pretty as hell because Vanillaware.

Played: Persona 5 Royal

Beat: :lol:

This week:...I...I think...it might actually be wrapping up :o !!! Of course, with this game wrapping up might mean 20-30 more hours but progress is being made!

I swear fam...these mofos ALL need editors! Look, LOVE me some nice, long games and all...but c'mon man, they just drag everything out soooooo long for no reason. This, Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey, even flipping Sleeping Dogs and Mordor as short as they were could have cut so much out and been much, much tighter experiences. We really collectively need to stop worrying about how many hours it takes to justify our purchase/playthrough of a game. That's a terrible judge of a game's quality. It just incentivizes them to keep making the hour count go up. I want to experience a game, not have it be a second job or something :P . Don't get it twisted, LOVE Persona 5 Royal but they could have tightened this up a lot and still gotten to the point I am at now and I would still be over the moon in love with this game. The exposition dumps and constant reassuring of my now oddly codependent squad is getting to be a bit much...