The Backlog Check-in Vol. 151: 11/21/20: Thanksgiving Edition

jfissel

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 151: 11/21/20: Thanksgiving Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Astro's Playroom (Platinum)

Now Playing: Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Added to Backlog: Maneater

Current Backlog: 40 games

Added Maneater today since it's $13 at Best Buy right now - argyle, I hope it's fun!

Still working my way through Yakuza and Miles Morales, really enjoying both. The Dragon Quest allusions in Yakuza are aplenty! And then I did everything in Astro's Playroom including the speed runs. All Playstation fans should get some time with this love letter to the PS universe - there are so many references to every generation and a ton of games, it's crazy.
Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 151: 11/21/20: Thanksgiving Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Nothing

Finished: Nothing

Playing: ?

Added: Call of Duty WWII, Code Vein, Left Alive, We Happy Few

Games releasing this week
BFF or Die
Football Manager 2021
Get Over Here
Landflix Odyssey
LoveKami: Divinity Stage
Mad Tower Tycoon
More Dark
My Aunt is a Witch
Nekopara Vol. 4
Out of Space
Picross S5
Root Double: Before Crime After Days
Star Renegades
Strike Force 2: Terrorist Hunt
Towaga: Among Shadows
Vigor
World of Warcraft: Shadowlands
argyle

Post by argyle »

jfissel wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:24 am Added Maneater today since it's $13 at Best Buy right now - argyle, I hope it's fun!
tenor.gif
tenor.gif (64.68 KiB) Viewed 5440 times
Games added: Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, Inertial Drift, Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time, Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate

Last week: Finished nothing, played Jedi Outcast, Tetris Effect: Connected, AC Valhalla

This week: Focusing on AC, but I'll dabble with some others I'm sure. Probably taking the Switch down to my folks' house, so I'll probably get in some Hyrule Warriors.

Really digging Valhalla so far - not much to say yet, besides it's a lot of fun. Oh, and chalk a win up to the PS5 - the Series X version screen tears like crazy, EXTREMELY distracting. Luckily I was able to sell it & pick up the PS5 version without being out anything thanks to sales. And here's something that genuinely shocked me. I had put about 3 hours into the Xbox version. So I install the PS5 one when I get it and then watch a movie. When the movie was over I figured I may as well get replaying that 3 hours over with. Booted up the game and saw a Continue option over New Game, so I hovered over it for a sec. It showed a save w/ almost 3 hours of save time. Hit Continue, and it loaded me up right where I quit on the Xbox version.

That's some voodoo magic right there. Best I can figure, Ubisoft's service did it, since I have both of my console accounts synced up with it. Very cool, but also very freaky.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

That is wild, argyle.

Played recently: Ghost of Tsushima, Little Big Planet Vita

Finished: Ghost

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 34 (14 PS4, 8 Vita, 7 3DS/DS, 5 PS2)

I finished Ghost and got the platinum. Such a great game... Sucker Punch knows how to push my buttons. Have any of you dudes checked out the Legends co-op mode? If you want to give it a go, hit me up!

On the handheld side, I fired up one of the two games I've been saving for the end of my time with the Vita... LBP, a gift from the great jfissel many Christmases ago! It is really fun and uses the system in cool ways, like the other Mm Vita game, Tearaway. I doubt I'll delve into much of the creator stuff, but I'm having a great time with the main story mode and the arcade/side levels.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Well, since I'm here...

Played: Yakuza 7

Beat: Nothing

Bought: Nothing...that's not true, I bought $300+ in workout equipment because I am set on turning the tiny strip of apartment my wife let me have into the fullest gym possible. I blame 2020.

This week: Yakuza 7

So I am absolutely head over heels in love with Like A Dragon. It's so good. There's a weird disconnect between the script and translation. Example: this game handles what we consider the dregs of society (homeless, prostitutes, criminals, etc) with a sense of dignity and nuance that needs to be applauded. Then the enemies will be named Hungry, Hungry Homeless. Hilarious, but the script clearly goes out of the way to not punch down and humanize people who are typically mocked for their station in life but then goofy mockery happens every now and again. It's like the localizers had a hell of a time reconciling the tone of the script with the silly naming conventions of the average DQ game. It's tonal whiplash but if we're being real, EVERYTHING Ryu Go Gotoku Studios has ever produced has been Tonal Whiplash: The Game. Overall, I am again extremely pleased with how they handle the subject matter overall.

Oh and j, I just unlocked job changing yesterday and the management minigame opened up almost instantly after that so I am not sure when I will get to those DLC jobs. I will tell you having a character dressed like idol Sakura from Yakuza 5 just owning fools in combat really makes me wish that had just let the girl fight...WITH DANCE! I do wish the ladies had more job options. I get why they don't but it would have been nice is all.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:12 am LBP, a gift from the great jfissel many Christmases ago!
Awesome! 8-)

crimson_tide wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:19 pm So I am absolutely head over heels in love with Like A Dragon. It's so good. There's a weird disconnect between the script and translation. Example: this game handles what we consider the dregs of society (homeless, prostitutes, criminals, etc) with a sense of dignity and nuance that needs to be applauded. Then the enemies will be named Hungry, Hungry Homeless. Hilarious, but the script clearly goes out of the way to not punch down and humanize people who are typically mocked for their station in life but then goofy mockery happens every now and again. It's like the localizers had a hell of a time reconciling the tone of the script with the silly naming conventions of the average DQ game. It's tonal whiplash but if we're being real, EVERYTHING Ryu Go Gotoku Studios has ever produced has been Tonal Whiplash: The Game. Overall, I am again extremely pleased with how they handle the subject matter overall.

Oh and j, I just unlocked job changing yesterday and the management minigame opened up almost instantly after that so I am not sure when I will get to those DLC jobs. I will tell you having a character dressed like idol Sakura from Yakuza 5 just owning fools in combat really makes me wish that had just let the girl fight...WITH DANCE! I do wish the ladies had more job options. I get why they don't but it would have been nice is all.
I think I'm close to where you are, having put in 12 hours already. The enemy names and what they are wearing (in your imagination) have definitely gotten laughs from me.
argyle

Post by argyle »

tenor.gif
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

argyle

Post by argyle »