The Backlog Check-in Vol. 154: 12/12/20: Collection of SaGa Final Fantasy Legend Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 154: 12/12/20: Collection of SaGa Final Fantasy Legend Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Cyberpunk 2077

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Cyberpunk 2077

Added: Cyberpunk 2077

I’ve been enjoying Cyberpunk 2077 despite its blurry low-res graphics, texture pop-in, bugs, glitches and crashes. The core game itself including its story, characters, gameplay and missions are all good, but it’s definitely a mess from a technical standpoint which is disappointing especially considering how long that it’s been in development.

I expected some bugs and glitches, but not as many as it has. And there’s no excuse for how low quality its graphics are considering how good other similar first person open world games like Dying Light, Fallout 4, Far Cry 5 and Rage 2 look on PS4.

The bottom line is that despite me having a fairly decent time while playing it (when I feel well enough to do so), it’s definitely not the game that I was expecting it to be based on what they showed of it up until release.

Games releasing this week
Airborne Kingdom
Cattch
Collection of SaGa Final Fantasy Legend
Colossus Down
Deemo Reborn
Elemental War
Mercenaries Blaze: Dawn of the Twin Dragons
MXGP 2020
Shakedown: Hawaii
60 Parsecs!
Touhou Luna Nights
Unto the End
canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 154: 12/12/20: Collection of SaGa Final Fantasy Legend Edition

Post by canedaddy »

Wow, I didn't know Cyberpunk had those issues. Is that on PS4? I assume it's better on PS5?

Played recently: Divinity: Original Sin II - Definitive Edition, Dokuro

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 34 (15 PS4, 7 Vita, 7 3DS/DS, 5 PS2)

Still enjoying Divinity... getting close to leaving the first area. Also played a little Dokuro on Vita... okay little puzzle/platformer.
Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 154: 12/12/20: Collection of SaGa Final Fantasy Legend Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:38 pmWow, I didn't know Cyberpunk had those issues. Is that on PS4? I assume it's better on PS5?
It’s the same for both the PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game, there won’t be dedicated PS5 and Xbox Series X versions until sometime next year. And while the last gen console versions are said to look and perform better via backwards compatibility on the PS5 and Xbox Series X, the bugs and glitches are still prevelant.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 40 games

Yeah, the Cyberpunk situation is tough. I saw they even put out a message about it on various social media sites. Hope it gets patched as quickly as possible so that people who were hyped can play something closer to what they expected.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Are you getting a refund, Phase?
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:17 pmAre you getting a refund, Phase?
No, I’m enjoying the game as is. Turning off all of the unnecessary graphic effects cleans up the visuals, and they’re not THAT bad. In fact they even look impressive at times, especially at night with the lighting.

The story, characters, gameplay and missions are all really good, I had a great time playing it last night. Now that I’ve put more time into it, it’s starting to feel a little more like the game that I was expecting it to be.

The bugs, glitches and overall jank are its biggest issues, but the core game is so good that I’m dealing with it all just like I did with other buggy games at launch like Dead Island, Fallout: New Vegas and Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Hey crim,

I finally started changing around all my characters' jobs. I was under the impression that the stat increases only applied while you were active in a job (same as the skills minus the 2 marked as user-based). But now that I have been corrected, I've switched them and then ran through the underground dungeon a few times. If you defeat a few of those vagabonds (aka the metal slimes of Yakuza 7), then you can get to job level 15 by the end. And plus it was just plain fun to watch Kasuga become a chef and then grind pepper into enemies faces, lowering their accuracy. :lol:
argyle

Post by argyle »

Too late in the week, I'll do the added/finished schtick this weekend.

I've played a little Cyberpunk, and while in the short time I put into it I haven't run into a lot of issues (on the Series X), I'm kinda gun-shy to invest a lot of time into it with everything I'm hearing. Thinking of waiting until the patches hit before I get into it just so I get the best experience.

I've been dabbling with a few other things, but nothing has really grabbed me. It's not that anything I've played is BAD, just haven't been able to get into anything. Other than MK11 I suppose, I've put some decent time into that. Guess I'm in more of a pick-up-and-play mood right now than a massive-time-sink-game mood.

In other, more unpleasant news - my mom tested positive today for Covid, so there go my Christmas plans. First time I'll not be going home for Christmas.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Sony removed Cyberpunk 2077 from the PlayStation Store. :o While I’m enjoying it, I would be enjoying it a lot more if it wasn’t such a buggy mess. It’s one of the buggiest and glitchiest games that I’ve played, even more so than games like Dead Island and Fallout: New Vegas. And it’s not just bugs and glitches, but overall performance (low frame rates, stuttering, texture pop-in) as well. There hasn’t really been any portion of the game that I’ve played so far that has felt polished. It basically feels like an unfinished game, which it essentially is from a technical standpoint. The core game (story, characters, world design, gameplay) is really good, so it’s a shame that it’s in such a buggy state because it’s somewhat souring my overall experience with it.
argyle wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:56 pmI've played a little Cyberpunk, and while in the short time I put into it I haven't run into a lot of issues (on the Series X), I'm kinda gun-shy to invest a lot of time into it with everything I'm hearing.
While I’ve heard that the last gen console versions look and perform better on the PS5 and Xbox Series X, the bugs and glitches seem to be an issue on those consoles as well.
argyle wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:56 pmIn other, more unpleasant news - my mom tested positive today for Covid, so there go my Christmas plans. First time I'll not be going home for Christmas.
I’m very sorry. :( I hope that your mom has a speedy recovery.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.