The Backlog Check-in Vol. 155: 12/19/20: Super Meat Boy Forever Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 155: 12/19/20: Super Meat Boy Forever Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Cyberpunk 2077

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Cyberpunk 2077

Added: Nothing

I’ve been playing Cyberpunk 2077, it’s a good game to lose myself in when I’m feeling up to it. Unfortunately, that isn’t as often as I would like due to not feeling well a lot of the time. I miss the days when I could dump hours into a big meaty game like this, but now I fizzle out somewhat quickly despite wanting to stay in its world.

Games releasing this week
Freddy Spaghetti
Goetia
The Hong Kong Massacre
Killer Chambers
Monster Train
Neoverse
Omori
Override 2: Super Mech League
Radio Commander
Solitaire 3D
Super Meat Boy Forever
Super Sports Blast
When the Past Was Around
Wilmot’s Warehouse
Zero Gunner 2
Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 155: 12/19/20: Super Meat Boy Forever Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

I felt a little better today, and played a lot of Cyberpunk 2077. I barely did any story missions, and mostly did side stuff which there’s a lot of.

There’s a new update, and the game runs smoother now and has less bugs. I didn’t experience too many issues while playing which was nice.

It’s a really good game packed with content, and it’s fun to play. It reminds me of a mix of Deus Ex and Far Cry. It has the futuristic cybernetic sci-fi aesthetic/hacking/stealth of Deus Ex combined with the big open world/driving/FPS combat of Far Cry.

While the game was a bit of a mess at launch, the latest updates have improved it quite a bit. It’s a lot more playable now with less issues.

I think that some people have been harder on it and CD Projekt Red than is really deserved, because despite some technical issues the core game is great. Maybe not quite as great as I was expecting it to be, but still great nonetheless.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Glad you're enjoying it for what it is Phase!...but you should get your refund if you bought it digitally. Sony don't like giving no money back so I would take advantage if I were you :P . Cyberpunk ain't my jam but it absolutely sucks that this became the story it did. I know so many people who were looking forward to this but I think them delaying another 3-6 months wouldn't have mattered in the least and everyone would be much happier on all sides. Especially Sony...because they don't like giving up no money. CDPR better watch they backs :P...

Played: Yakuza Like A Dragon

Beat: Yakuza Like A Dragon

Already missing: Yakuza Like A Dragon

Yo. Son. Hold up a minute. I thought my game of the year was locked. Turns out no. Not even close. Holy schnikeys theydies and gentlethems...I LOVED YAKUZA 7!!!!! Yo...tears, fam. I haven't cried over a game...I think The World Ends With You was the only one that wrung a man tear out of me. But this one Frankie angel, Niagra Falls. They could not have pulled this off with Kazuma. *****ing LOVE Kazuma. He's a rock though. Doesn't emote. At least not until you done goofed and he gots to deal with your ass. Kasuga is all heart on his sleeve. And while the plot contrivances and soap operatics of every Yakuza game are represented, so are the AMAZING HIGHS. Jesus, from chapter 12 onward it just doesn't quit. You think they went so far off the rails at one point this vehicle held together but spit and hope is just going to fall to pieces but that ending...they really, really pulled it off. I NEED more Kasuga. I don't know what they do next but I want to see it. Judgement was fine. I don't need more of that dude. Lost Paradise was fine. Don't need more of that. But Kasuga is just gosh dang puzzling. He's really unattractive, the character design is just ugh. But it's clearly intentional. Everyone else is fine (I stan for Adachi, big daddy bear energy and all...he flexes after every battle, it's adorable :P ) but Kasuga looks a hot mess. And he is and that's the point because he owns it. That awful hair style, the tacky obnoxious suit, chin strap beard, all of it is just blech. But he is so good and kind and oh my God, it's too much to even talk about the next day. He's like this because he doesn't care as much for himself as he does for you, whoever you may be. That's the difference with him and Kazuma. The palyer and Kazuma come from the same place of him just having all the wild Yakuza tonal nuttiness happen to him and him dealing with it. Kazuma cares and is more than willing to help anyone but he isn't part of it. Kasuga puts his all into everything, he wants to be there. And when you get to the end and all of the things happen, it just hits hard because he's just that dude. He does care and wants to be there for everyone. The impetus for the story doesn't make sense with his willingness to just go to jail and his boundless love for those that have wronged him makes you want to slap the taste of of his mouth but after almost 100 hours, I get it now. I relate to him not because like Kazuma I respect him but because I am Kasuga. I am a big nerd and goofy and care a lot and have to because it's just who I am and I believe that's what the vast majority of us are, just good people. He sees the good and goes to it. So refreshing! God that was a beautiful game. Be prepared for the book report I write in whatever GOTY thread we have. I have so many feeling about this game...oh and the only other con I have is that I wish there was a more efficient way to change jobs than going to the one Hello Work office in the game. Other than that, chef's kiss, 13 out of 10, game of the forever!!!111 :P
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:40 amGlad you're enjoying it for what it is Phase!
Yeah, it’s really hitting the spot right now.
crimson_tide wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:40 amyou should get your refund if you bought it digitally. Sony don't like giving no money back so I would take advantage if I were you :P .
I bought it physically from GameStop, and they don’t like giving no money back more than Sony. :P But in all seriousness, I’m enjoying it right now so I don’t want to return it.
crimson_tide wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:40 amCyberpunk ain't my jam but it absolutely sucks that this became the story it did. I know so many people who were looking forward to this but I think them delaying another 3-6 months wouldn't have mattered in the least and everyone would be much happier on all sides.
While it should have been delayed a few more months to be released in a more finished state, I’m still somewhat glad that they released it now since I was getting tired of waiting for it and despite its technical issues I like that I’m able to play it now instead of later because it’s currently what I’m in the mood for.
crimson_tide wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:40 amBe prepared for the book report I write in whatever GOTY thread we have.
Isn’t that what you just wrote? :P
crimson_tide wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:40 amchef's kiss, 13 out of 10, game of the forever!!!111 :P
Wow, that’s high praise. I guess that I should probably check it out at some point. :P But I still have 1-6 to play first. I’ve only played and finished 0 so far, and I want to play Judgment and Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise as well.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 40 games

crimson_tide wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:40 am Yo. Son. Hold up a minute. I thought my game of the year was locked. Turns out no. Not even close. Holy schnikeys theydies and gentlethems...I LOVED YAKUZA 7!!!!! Yo...tears, fam. I haven't cried over a game...I think The World Ends With You was the only one that wrung a man tear out of me. But this one Frankie angel, Niagra Falls. They could not have pulled this off with Kazuma. *****ing LOVE Kazuma. He's a rock though. Doesn't emote. At least not until you done goofed and he gots to deal with your ass. Kasuga is all heart on his sleeve. And while the plot contrivances and soap operatics of every Yakuza game are represented, so are the AMAZING HIGHS. Jesus, from chapter 12 onward it just doesn't quit. You think they went so far off the rails at one point this vehicle held together but spit and hope is just going to fall to pieces but that ending...they really, really pulled it off. I NEED more Kasuga. I don't know what they do next but I want to see it. Judgement was fine. I don't need more of that dude. Lost Paradise was fine. Don't need more of that. But Kasuga is just gosh dang puzzling. He's really unattractive, the character design is just ugh. But it's clearly intentional. Everyone else is fine (I stan for Adachi, big daddy bear energy and all...he flexes after every battle, it's adorable :P ) but Kasuga looks a hot mess. And he is and that's the point because he owns it. That awful hair style, the tacky obnoxious suit, chin strap beard, all of it is just blech. But he is so good and kind and oh my God, it's too much to even talk about the next day. He's like this because he doesn't care as much for himself as he does for you, whoever you may be. That's the difference with him and Kazuma. The palyer and Kazuma come from the same place of him just having all the wild Yakuza tonal nuttiness happen to him and him dealing with it. Kazuma cares and is more than willing to help anyone but he isn't part of it. Kasuga puts his all into everything, he wants to be there. And when you get to the end and all of the things happen, it just hits hard because he's just that dude. He does care and wants to be there for everyone. The impetus for the story doesn't make sense with his willingness to just go to jail and his boundless love for those that have wronged him makes you want to slap the taste of of his mouth but after almost 100 hours, I get it now. I relate to him not because like Kazuma I respect him but because I am Kasuga. I am a big nerd and goofy and care a lot and have to because it's just who I am and I believe that's what the vast majority of us are, just good people. He sees the good and goes to it. So refreshing! God that was a beautiful game. Be prepared for the book report I write in whatever GOTY thread we have. I have so many feeling about this game...oh and the only other con I have is that I wish there was a more efficient way to change jobs than going to the one Hello Work office in the game. Other than that, chef's kiss, 13 out of 10, game of the forever!!!111 :P
:shock: High praise, man. I'm in chapter 12, just beat the entire battle arena on my first time through...going to do it again because I'm level 47ish and I don't think it's enough.
Phaseknox wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:44 am I felt a little better today, and played a lot of Cyberpunk 2077. I barely did any story missions, and mostly did side stuff which there’s a lot of.

There’s a new update, and the game runs smoother now and has less bugs. I didn’t experience too many issues while playing which was nice.

It’s a really good game packed with content, and it’s fun to play. It reminds me of a mix of Deus Ex and Far Cry. It has the futuristic cybernetic sci-fi aesthetic/hacking/stealth of Deus Ex combined with the big open world/driving/FPS combat of Far Cry.

While the game was a bit of a mess at launch, the latest updates have improved it quite a bit. It’s a lot more playable now with less issues.

I think that some people have been harder on it and CD Projekt Red than is really deserved, because despite some technical issues the core game is great. Maybe not quite as great as I was expecting it to be, but still great nonetheless.
It's amazing how fast they can fix a lot of issues these days, and it sounds like your experience has been pretty good so far. Keep feeling better! [thumbs_up]
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:20 pmIt's amazing how fast they can fix a lot of issues these days
It’s because CD Projekt Red is in panic mode right now, especially since Sony removed Cyberpunk 2077 from the PlayStation Store which is a pretty big deal.
jfissel wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:20 pmit sounds like your experience has been pretty good so far.
Yeah, because it’s one of my favorite genres (first person open world action RPG). It’s up there with some of my other favorites within the genre such as Dead Island, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Fallout 3/New Vegas and Far Cry 3.
jfissel wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:20 pmKeep feeling better! [thumbs_up]
Thanks.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: Blaster Master Zero & Zero II (phy-si-cal, PS4), Sword of Xuan Yuan 7 and Vaporum (both imports)

Last week: Finished nothing, played several things that didn't stick - RE7, Prey, Forza Horizon 4 (I may put some more time into that one), one of the EDF games...

This week: No clue.

I've been trying to find something to sink my teeth into now that I've decided to wait until CP2077 gets patched up before diving into it. RE7 I'd like to play through before the new one comes out, or before I pickup the new one at least, but it's too grim for what I'm in the mood for right now. Prey I was starting to dig, but that game is HARD. Like, unreasonably so unless I'm really missing something. I've reached out to a buddy of mine that loves the game to see if he has any advice, we'll see. I just can't seem to latch onto anything tho. Honestly, crim's inspired me to give Yakuza 7 a shot - I know I'm woefully behind in that series, but the new one is a fresh start anyway from my understanding so that shouldn't really be an issue.

I appreciate all the thoughts / prayers re: my mom everyone. Now, as I pretty much expected, my dad has it too. I've been trying to get them to go to the doc, but they're being stubborn and there's absolutely nothing I can do. Very frustrating.

I only have 2.5 work days this week, so maybe I can get some needed recharge time in after that. Crim, you ain't lying about working from home being no joke. And since I was given my first supervisory position this year and now have a couple of guys reporting to me it's even more stressful. Luckily I probably have the best 2 workers in the department, so I don't have to worry about them not doing what they're supposed to. But it's just an extra sense of responsibility that adds stress regardless, and the fact that it's my first time being in a leadership role and I really want to do my best. Plus we just have some projects - one big one in particular - that we've been trying to wrap up before the break. So yeah, I could use the downtime.

Phase, I'm glad you're feeling better and I'm also glad you're enjoying CP. We're always here if you need to talk! :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Dang... I hope I live long enough to play and finish Yakuza 6 and then a little longer still so I can play and finish Yakuza 7. :)

Played recently: Divinity: Original Sin II - Definitive Edition

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 34 (15 PS4, 7 Vita, 7 3DS/DS, 5 PS2)

Divinity is still grabbing me. I'm into the second major area and it's hitting me with a lot of those tough decisions about who to side with. After a little bit of time Googling to see what the best option is, I decided I'm just going to do what feels right at the time and let the chips fall where they may.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Crim, chapter 12 story stuff in Yakuza was amazing! I was level 54 and didn't have any issues with fights. But man, the story...I see why you were so into it in that last post of yours.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Yessir, I was hyped after that chapter. They killed it!

Merry Christmas, fam! Hope y'all are managing to have a good holiday because you know, 2020. My mom had to cancel her visit because on Wednesday, she went and got herself exposed to the 'rona and has to quarantine again. So that was a bummer. Our goddaughter has made out like a bandit though. It's kinda ridiculous. Santa is coming on Sunday night (we're lifting buddies) when we are all together with the foster bros and there will be MORE gifts for her...