The Backlog Check-in Vol. 155: 12/19/20: Super Meat Boy Forever Edition

canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 155: 12/19/20: Super Meat Boy Forever Edition

Post by canedaddy »

Merry Christmas, friends! I have some Switch questions for you. I got a little extra cash and I’m weighing whether to take the plunge.

— Do you have any knowledge or thoughts about when Switch 2 will be out? Worth waiting?

— Is Wind Waker going to show up on Switch? Nintendo loves to leave great games stranded on old hardware... that annoys me, along with the anti-consumer pricing and crap.

— Does Switch have anything like PS+ or Xbox gold?

— Anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

1. I don't know, Nintendo blows :P

2. It's Nintendo and it's the Switch. They ported all but like 3 exclusive games so far to the Switch from the Wii U. I would imagine Nintendo being Nintendo will release a 3D Zelda collection this year with Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and that other Wii game for Zelda's 35th anniversary. They will then Disney vault it for no discernible reason other than greed by creating artificial scarcity like they did the Mario anniversary collection because Nintendo is just the worst. **** em.

3. Nintendo Switch Online is their half assed response wherein they put random (seriously, there's no rhyme or reason to the things they throw on there other than they got the license super cheap). It's free with the $20 a year online subscription but again, it's super random and only has NES and SNES stuff. Because Nintendo sucks.

4. The fact that Nintendo sucks, is ludicrously anti consumer, preys on nostalgia and exclusivity that their competitors get slammed for and Nintendo...ugh, they are so awful.

I bought my wife a Switch for our first anniversary. I bought it used. Because I don't like giving Nintendo money when I can avoid it. I feel about them much as (from what I can remember) j feels about Gamestop. I am sure other people can help you more because they bear no ill will toward Nintendo as I do :P .

Oh, are you getting the Switch Lite? My wife bought her goddaughter one and it was fairly cheap ($150-180?). If you take the plunge, that might be the way to go if you don't mind that the Switch won't...you know, switch :lol: .
argyle

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:15 am Merry Christmas, friends! I have some Switch questions for you. I got a little extra cash and I’m weighing whether to take the plunge.

— Do you have any knowledge or thoughts about when Switch 2 will be out? Worth waiting?

— Is Wind Waker going to show up on Switch? Nintendo loves to leave great games stranded on old hardware... that annoys me, along with the anti-consumer pricing and crap.

Thanks in advance.
Now that crim has gotten that out of his system, I'll give you some *real* answers ;) :

1. - Wait. Rumors suggest it will be VERY soon, I expect them to announce something in the first half of next year, and it will almost certainly release before the end of the year. Dunno if it will be a Switch 2 or a Switch Pro, but either way you've waited this long, so wait a little longer.

2. - They haven't said, but I've been hoping it and Twilight Princess HD make the jump. I think those 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles X are the only first-party Wii U games not to either be ported or get a sequel that makes the first one irrelevant.

3. - Yes, but as crim said it's just for some NES & SNES games, nothing current. And of course you need it if you play anything online, tho...well, it's the Switch, let's not pretend it has much in the way of online. That said, they encourage sharing the service with "family", and it's pretty cheap even before you split the price with someone else.

4. - My personal GOTY and a VERY close second place for my GOAT, Xenoblade Chronicles, is on there so that alone warrants a purchase. The system has some killer games, and is my favorite place to play indie games that aren't taxing on the system (so, most of them). Oh, and don't get the Light. It's saving $100, but you lose the ability to play on the TV, you get a smaller screen, the joycons won't separate from the system...it's just a much worse system. But again, you want to wait for the next iteration anyway.

And crim, every corporation hates you. Don't even get me started on the crappy things Sony is doing going from PS4 to PS5...that price hike on games to $70, not supporting free next-gen updates on their first party games, making the process of updating any games from last gen to current a giant pain in the backside... Oh, and the drive in the PS5 sounds like a freakin' buzz saw. That's really not related to the topic, but it really pisses me off so I wanted to mention it anyway. Seriously, the Series X is dead silent, disc or no. Sony goes on & on about how quiet the fans are in the PS5, but as soon as you put in a disc it's rrrrrrAAAAWAAAAARRAAAWAWAAARARAAAAAAREAAAAAAAAAREAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. So yeah gents, don't get a PS5 either until they fix that crap. It's unacceptable really.
Nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg
Nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg (13.55 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Dude, that blows about the PS5 noise, Argyle! My wife spent days trying to get me a PS5 and I stopped her because I never trust new tech. Give it a year at least for me, I want bugs worked out. I saw somewhere (maybe my wife showed me on Twitter, I don't have Twitter myself) that some dude was having the same issue your describing and it was a loose warning sticker near the fan. Of course he voided the warranty going into the system but it stopped making the noise. Also, there's next to no chance I get a disc system ever again. Not having physical media with the amount of little foster ones coming through here has been a godsend. My wife is a bibliophile and her books end up everywhere the minute were not looking :P. I know you're way into collecting so I get why you went with the disc.

And of course I know corporations hate me, I am really close to being an anarchist at this point (meaning no government, everything fair, we govern and look out for each other and ourselves, blah blah blah, not chaotic neutral let's burn it all down :P ). I have just had a grudge against Nintendo since the N64. That's when I learned how they got a stranglehold on the market coupled with the debacle that was the N64 and I was done with them since they have done nothing to indicate change ar all. I haven't bought a new Nintendo system since the SNES. All used all the time. Doesn't matter, they get to have tons of money plus the undying adulation of millions and I get to maintain my petty grudge that I vocalize online occasionally. Works out for all parties :D !
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:05 amthe drive in the PS5 sounds like a freakin' buzz saw. That's really not related to the topic, but it really pisses me off so I wanted to mention it anyway. Seriously, the Series X is dead silent, disc or no. Sony goes on & on about how quiet the fans are in the PS5, but as soon as you put in a disc it's rrrrrrAAAAWAAAAARRAAAWAWAAARARAAAAAAREAAAAAAAAAREAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. So yeah gents, don't get a PS5 either until they fix that crap. It's unacceptable really.
I don’t plan on getting a PS5 until the inevitable Slim is out. And speaking of disc drives, the one in my PS4 has been working fine. It seems to only have a problem if I leave a disc in it when I put it in rest mode or turn it off, so I don’t do that anymore.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

argyle wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:05 am
canedaddy wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:15 am Merry Christmas, friends! I have some Switch questions for you. I got a little extra cash and I’m weighing whether to take the plunge.

Thanks in advance.
Now that crim has gotten that out of his system, I'll give you some *real* answers ;) :

1. - Wait. Rumors suggest it will be VERY soon, I expect them to announce something in the first half of next year, and it will almost certainly release before the end of the year. Dunno if it will be a Switch 2 or a Switch Pro, but either way you've waited this long, so wait a little longer.

2. - They haven't said, but I've been hoping it and Twilight Princess HD make the jump. I think those 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles X are the only first-party Wii U games not to either be ported or get a sequel that makes the first one irrelevant.

3. - Yes, but as crim said it's just for some NES & SNES games, nothing current. And of course you need it if you play anything online, tho...well, it's the Switch, let's not pretend it has much in the way of online. That said, they encourage sharing the service with "family", and it's pretty cheap even before you split the price with someone else.

4. - My personal GOTY and a VERY close second place for my GOAT, Xenoblade Chronicles, is on there so that alone warrants a purchase. The system has some killer games, and is my favorite place to play indie games that aren't taxing on the system (so, most of them). Oh, and don't get the Light. It's saving $100, but you lose the ability to play on the TV, you get a smaller screen, the joycons won't separate from the system...it's just a much worse system. But again, you want to wait for the next iteration anyway.

And crim, every corporation hates you. Don't even get me started on the crappy things Sony is doing going from PS4 to PS5...that price hike on games to $70, not supporting free next-gen updates on their first party games, making the process of updating any games from last gen to current a giant pain in the backside... Oh, and the drive in the PS5 sounds like a freakin' buzz saw. That's really not related to the topic, but it really pisses me off so I wanted to mention it anyway. Seriously, the Series X is dead silent, disc or no. Sony goes on & on about how quiet the fans are in the PS5, but as soon as you put in a disc it's rrrrrrAAAAWAAAAARRAAAWAWAAARARAAAAAAREAAAAAAAAAREAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. So yeah gents, don't get a PS5 either until they fix that crap. It's unacceptable really.

Nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg
I appreciate all the info from both of you. I generally tend to agree with crim on Nintendo... I hate to reward them with any of my money. But the reality is the Switch is the only dedicated handheld right now, sooo... I went ahead and got one (the regular, not the Lite), new, not used. I don't like having a used handheld. I know, argyle, I should have waited... but in my world, if I tried to put that cash aside, it would have gone to something else long before Switch Pro/2.0 was announced, let alone released.

crim, I'm going to try to only buy first-party games used so Nintendo doesn't get cash for that, at least. I hit up the Gamestop B2G1F sale to grab Breath of the Wild and two to play with the family... Mario Kart and Mario Party. The games I'm most interested in are SRPGs (Disgaea 5, Banner Saga, etc.) and indies (Ape Out, Golf Story, Hollow Knight, Hades, etc.)
argyle

Post by argyle »

canedaddy wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:46 pm I appreciate all the info from both of you. I generally tend to agree with crim on Nintendo... I hate to reward them with any of my money. But the reality is the Switch is the only dedicated handheld right now, sooo... I went ahead and got one (the regular, not the Lite), new, not used. I don't like having a used handheld. I know, argyle, I should have waited... but in my world, if I tried to put that cash aside, it would have gone to something else long before Switch Pro/2.0 was announced, let alone released.

crim, I'm going to try to only buy first-party games used so Nintendo doesn't get cash for that, at least. I hit up the Gamestop B2G1F sale to grab Breath of the Wild and two to play with the family... Mario Kart and Mario Party. The games I'm most interested in are SRPGs (Disgaea 5, Banner Saga, etc.) and indies (Ape Out, Golf Story, Hollow Knight, Hades, etc.)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I played the OG, as you'll recall. How is the Definitive Edition better/different, aside from improved graphics (which would be a very nice change, no doubt)?