The Backlog Check-in Vol. 155: 12/26/20: Good Riddance 2020 Edition

argyle

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 155: 12/26/20: Good Riddance 2020 Edition

Post by argyle »

I'm not one of those people that thinks life is going to magically be sunshine and puppy dogs once the calendar flips, mind you. But still...

ByeFelicia_800x800_jpg_HqIYcTLT-300x300.jpg
ByeFelicia_800x800_jpg_HqIYcTLT-300x300.jpg (17.33 KiB) Viewed 6029 times

Games added: 3 imports arrived - Alpaca Ball, Shiren the Wanderer and the Remothered Double Pack. Also snagged 3 $5 games from BB - Grip, Bridge Constructor Portal Edition and Close to the Sun. And finally I traded something in and snagged Immortals: Fenyx Rising and Tony Hawk 1&2 from GS. Oh, and Yaga finally came in from Limited Run Games.

Last week: Finished nothing, played mainly Immortals.

This week: Immortals. Definitely more Immortals.

So Immortals is the game that finally clicked with me, and it clicked hard. It's basically Zelda: Breath of the Wild with Greek mythology, and it's awesome. A great sense of humor, really fun puzzles, tons to explore and awesome combat. Oh, and very colorful cartoon-y graphics that really pop. I love it.

EqOwg1XW4AAMFya.jpg
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

crimson_tide

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 155: 12/26/20: Good Riddance 2020 Edition

Post by crimson_tide »

Poor Felicia...nobody wants her around :P

Played:...I"m in one of those funks after I played something amazing and really don't want to jump straight into another turn based JRPG so nothing really substantial. Puzzle fighter, a bunch of retro tiny consoles, Assassin's Creed Origins DLC...

Done with:...Origins DLC. I think I am done with AC until I move on to see what bug**** insanity they pull to wrap up this godawful Layla nonsense storyline they've painted themselves into a corner by sticking with for all these games. I think the Odyssey DLC nuttiness killed whatever Origins had going...bummer.

Bought:...I might go with DQ Heroes or Fate Extella or something equally button mashy. I might even just say screw it and get FF7 Remake. That had some button mashy goodness in the demo I think.

This week:...I really want to go into DQ11S but don't want to burn myself out on turn based RPGs...

Yeah, blah week for gaming. Xmas meant we had my wife's goddaughter and our other goddaughter so we just watched terrible YouTube when we weren't doing family stuff. So not much gaming. And Yakuza Like A Dragon was one of those satisfying games everything pales in comparison to after you play it anyway so maybe it's a blessing. Let go through the store for the 50th time to see what deal I do bother biting on this year ;) ...
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Cyberpunk 2077

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Cyberpunk 2077

Added: Blaster Master Zero, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2, Double Dragon & Kunio-kun: Retro Brawler Bundle, Outcast: Second Contact, Remothered: Broken Porcelain, Sniper Elite 4 Digital Deluxe Edition, Spyro Reignited Trilogy, Touhou Double Focus, Warhammer: Chaosbane

I’m still playing Cyberpunk 2077, and really enjoying it. It’s a Eurojank game that’s rough around the edges, but offers a good story, an interesting cast of characters, fun gameplay and is packed with content.
argyle wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:40 amSo Immortals is the game that finally clicked with me, and it clicked hard. It's basically Zelda: Breath of the Wild with Greek mythology, and it's awesome. A great sense of humor, really fun puzzles, tons to explore and awesome combat. Oh, and very colorful cartoon-y graphics that really pop. I love it.
I definitely plan on getting it as well as Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Watch Dogs: Legion and Yakuza: Like a Dragon when they’re $20-$30.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:42 am I definitely plan on getting it as well as Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Watch Dogs: Legion and Yakuza: Like a Dragon when they’re $20-$30.
FYI, Immortals is $30 now @ GS.
https://www.gamestop.com/collection/imm ... nyx-rising
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Dude, I played the Dragon Quest Heroes 2 and Code Vein demos. I did not like them. DQ Heroes combat was too button mashy. I couldn't find a fun groove and it was mercifully short. Code Vein messed up because yet another character creator has terrible black hair choices and they committed the cardinal sin of not letting me choose bald as an option. They did at least give me a baller ass hat. But then the stamina in real time combat just doesn't work for me. I hate when games have that mechanic, it slows everything down too much. I keep trying and can't get past how much it bothers me. I might as well just start tearing through DQ11S at this point, nothing else is hitting for me right now anyway.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:38 amFYI, Immortals is $30 now @ GS.
I bought it, thanks for the heads up.
crimson_tide wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:41 pmI played the Dragon Quest Heroes 2 and Code Vein demos. I did not like them.
I bought both of those games physically for rather cheap. I haven’t played Dragon Quest Heroes II yet, but it looks like it could be a fun third person action/hack-and-slash/RPG hybrid when I’m in the mood for something like that. I played the Code Vein demo and I liked it, so I bought the full game somewhat recently since it was relatively cheap.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Spider-Man: Miles Morales (both main stories)

Now Playing: Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Spider-Man: Miles Morales (going for platinums)

Added to Backlog: Dreams, Final Fantasy VII Remake

Current Backlog: 40 games

Hope everyone had some time off to enjoy the recent holidays. I got 2 gaming gifts: Dreams and Final Fantasy VII Remake, so those are now in the backlog. But over break I was also able to complete the stories in Yakuza and Miles Morales - even trade, I'll take it! Both great games.

I had asked for Immortals: Fenyx Rising on PS5, but did not get it. I may have to pick it up myself either now for $30 or play more of my backlog and snag it when it gets back down to $20-30.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Gosh dangit, Maneater is free next month for PS5 only :( ! Screw Tomb Raider and Greedfall is already on PSNow, I wanted Maneater...
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

crimson_tide wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:52 am Gosh dangit, Maneater is free next month for PS5 only :( ! Screw Tomb Raider and Greedfall is already on PSNow, I wanted Maneater...
Aw, cmon! I bought Maneater for the PS4 when it was $13 at Best Buy on 11/22...
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Happy belated holidays to everyone. I've been busy running all over the place and haven't played anything in a few months. Hope you guys are all doing great!

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!