The Backlog Check-in Vol. 157: 1/2/21: New Year Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 157: 1/2/21: New Year Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Cyberpunk 2077

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Cyberpunk 2077

Added: Immortals: Fenyx Rising, Revenant Dogma, Reverie, Underhero, Undertale, Unravel Yarny Bundle, Valfaris

I’m still playing Cyberpunk 2077, and really enjoying it. It’s packed with so much side content that I’ve barely been doing any of the main story missions.

I’m basically playing it like an FPS since the combat is exciting, visceral and fun. Playing stealthy sneaking around and hacking is somewhat dull by comparison IMO. I much prefer going in guns blazing. But it’s nice to have the option to do both since sometimes being stealthy is better depending on the mission.

This is shaping up to be one of the best games of this type that I’ve played, I really dig the whole futuristic sci-fi cyberpunk theme and there’s so much to see and do in it.
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 157: 1/2/21: New Year Edition

Post by argyle »

Games added: Nothing.

Last week: Finished Mortal Kombat 11 (both story modes), played Immortals: Fenyx Rising

This week: More Immortals.

Still loving Immortals. Even tho it will be the first game I finish in 21, it's pretty much a lock for my top 10 of the year. Speaking of, I have my top 10 games for 20 decided, just have to order them & write up the list.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:07 amI have my top 10 games for 20 decided, just have to order them & write up the list.
Cool, I’m looking forward to your list as always.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Spider-Man: Miles Morales (going for platinum), Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 40 games

Well, I got a few more trophies in Yakuza before deciding that I'm not currently interested in putting in another ~20 hours of straight-up grinding for the platinum. Maybe some day, but not today. So I started Assassin's Creed Valhalla - man, this terrain is brutal to navigate...so many cliffs and extreme elevation changes. Hopefully, England is better than Norway in this regard.

My top games of 2020 list will be out in the next week. 8-)
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:39 amMy top games of 2020 list will be out in the next week. 8-)
I look forward to it.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Played recently: Divinity: Original Sin II - Definitive Edition, Trine 4

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Current backlog: 11 (9 PS4, 1 Vita, 1 Switch)

For 2020, I reworked my backlog to reflect the games I really want/expect to play. I have tons of older stuff (PS2 and DS/3Ds) that I don't realistically think I'll be able to get to at this point. A man's got to know his limitations. :)

I'm deep into Divinity and really enjoying it. Interesting and immersive story, very deep combat, great characters and enemies... a whole lot to like there.

My daughter is visiting and we've been playing Trine 4... near the end now. It's a great game, like 1 and 2. Trine 3, however, is garbage. We really tried to enjoy it, but it's a mess, adding a third plane and subtracting many of the abilities and all of the fun.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Played: DQ11S, South Park Fractured But Whole

Bought:...I decided to give myself a budget and to go buck wild on the holiday sale on PSN tomorrow now that everything is there all at once. I am already entirely sold on 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim and THIS close to FF7R...going to go through and get a few more.

This week: South Park then back to DQ11S

So I played the South Park sequel way way back. But my goddaughter was living with us at the time and was gaining an awareness of games and repeating literally everything she heard. So I shelved it because I talked myself into thinking it wasn't that good...I was wrong, I am loving this game now! Having a real good time with it, the battle system and flexibility with characters is really solid. Boss battles have been really sweet. If you haven't and dig shorter RPGs (plus can deal with South Park being South Park), it's way worth the time!

I stepped away from DQ11S for a minute because it's a beast. About 30 hours in and it's charm and quality of life: the game. The ease with which you can do most things is ridiculous. I tried DQ8 and multiple occasions and it was just too rigid for me. The flexibility and really, really solid party AI are really. And it's super gosh dang charming. Even the Tockington segments which they make you play in 2D mode are great! It just feels pleasant all around. So I will likely play it on and off just to drag it out over the course of the winter because it's so pleasant to play. Finally loving a DQ game!

Games of the year list by next week, later fam!
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

So South Park. Man, those last battles are mostly great (there's one that is...a lot) ! Really surprised how they tied that together and the ending :lol: ! I might even go for the plat later like this summer, doesn't seem too taxing. I have the DLC too so it could be worth a revisit. It's making my list for sure. Going back to DQ11S soon...might do 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim first...we'll see.