Phaseknox’s Top 5 Games of 2020

Phaseknox

Phaseknox’s Top 5 Games of 2020

Post by Phaseknox »

The following are my top five games of 2020 which also happen to be the only games that I finished in 2020. :P

5. Dead Nation
This is an isometric view zombie apocalypse horror survival twin stick shooter where you make your way through somewhat linear ruined city streets shooting hordes of zombies. The graphics are good with a lot of detail to everything, and nice lighting effects. The gameplay is tight and responsive, and the shooting is fun with you switching to different weapons on the fly depending on the situation. The music is cool, too. But it’s on the short side, and ends rather abruptly. It had the potential to be better than it is. While the core gameplay is entertaining, it would have benefitted from having a little more to do in it than just shooting zombies nonstop. At the very least it should have been longer.

4. Forgotten Anne
This is a charming story driven 2.5D side scrolling adventure platform puzzle game with a steampunk aesthetic, and nice hand drawn art and animation influenced by Studio Ghibli. It's a quality game with impressive visuals, music and voice acting. It's primarily an interactive story combined with fun platforming, and clever puzzles. The story is interesting, and the characters are a colorful bunch. It’s one of the better indie games that I’ve played, and I feel that it deserves more attention than it has received.

3. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
This is a third person action JRPG with a colorful anime aesthetic that takes place on a big interconnected island. It offers a unique premise of being shipwrecked, needing to gather resources, make shelter, search for other passengers and ultimately build a boat to get off the island with. The story is entertaining, the cast of characters are likable, the island is varied, the hack-and-slash combat is fast and satisfying and the music is great. My only real complaint is that you basically have to do everything that there is to do in the game to get the true ending, but other than that it’s a great time from start to finish.

2. The Last of Us Part II
This is a cinematic story driven linear third person action adventure horror survival game with a brutal, dark, grisly and violent tone. The graphics are some of the best that I’ve seen in a game, and the combat is some of the most intense, vicious and visceral that I’ve experienced. The story is engaging, but I don’t always like the direction that it goes in. And while the game is long, the final sequence feels a bit rushed in comparison to the rest of the game. Not to mention that the ending leaves a little to be desired as well. Unlike the first game, I enjoyed this one more for the gameplay than the story. It’s action packed from beginning to end, and in addition to combat offers some good platforming and puzzles which I would have liked more of.

1. Ghost of Tsushima
This is a third person open world action adventure game that does just about everything right. The story is entertaining, the characters are interesting with distinct personalities, the world is beautiful, colorful and varied packed with things to do in it and the melee combat is some of the best that I’ve experienced in a game. The ability to choose a samurai or ninja play style at any given time adds a tremendous amount of freedom to approach almost every situation how you choose. It’s one part Way of the Samurai and one part Tenchu, but all parts awesome. The adventure is a lengthy one, and offers a satisfying conclusion.
isthatallyougot

Re: Phaseknox’s Top 5 Games of 2020

Post by isthatallyougot »

I loved Dead Nation. That's the only game on your list I've ever played phase.

I'm still going to do my list this year, albeit late and probably slow, lol. I haven't played anything in a good while and I played much less this year than normal, but I might as well share what I played.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I don't think I even finished five games in 2020, but our GOTYs are the same.

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Huh. I played nothing here Phase. I don't know where my tastes lie on the spectrum but I am honestly impressed by the depth and breadth of your choices from smaller games to enormous AAA blockbusters. You kinda sold me on Ghosts of Tsushima. I kinda wrote it off as a pretty but blase open world game (I tend to like small but dense map...I mean, I stan Yakuza) but if it made goty for you given the variety of your choices, I will try it when Sony makes it cheap by the summer. Very cool list, sir!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:32 amVery cool list, sir!
Thanks. :D
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Dead Nation was fun. Can't argue much with the top 2 in your list, they were great!