The Backlog Check-in Vol. 161: 1/30/21: Ys IX: Monstrum Nox Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 161: 1/30/21: Ys IX: Monstrum Nox Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Nothing

Finished: Nothing

Playing: ?

Added: Art of Fighting Anthology, Day of the Tentacle Remastered, Erica, Grim Fandango Remastered, .hack//G.U. Last Recode, The King of Fighters ‘99, The Last Blade 2, LEGO City Undercover, LEGO Harry Potter Collection

Games releasing this week
Aircraft Carrier Survival
Arrog
Blue Fire
Conarium
Cultist Simulator
Glittering Sword
Grey Skies: A War of the Worlds Story
Habroxia 2
Haven
Kowloon Highschool Chronicle
Monkey Barrels
Nuts
Project Winter
Roombo: First Blood
Skyforge
Werewolf: The Apocalypse Earthblood
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 161: 1/30/21: Ys IX: Monstrum Nox Edition

Post by argyle »

Games added: Hell Warders, Generation Zero, Moving Out (all part of a Best Buy $8 sale) and Atelier Ryza 2

Last week: Finished Donut County (second time, it was added to GamePass), played Persona 5 Royal

This week: P5 Royal

Still absolutely loving P5R. I just finished the third main dungeon (it's almost the end of June now). Have a little over 50 hours in at this point. The game is like crack, I have absolutely no complaints about it. Well, I guess maybe wanting the character they added w/ R to go ahead & join my party. :P

I'm still very much looking forward to Ys which releases this week, and my CE of it has shipped from NISA - but I won't be playing it until I finish up P5, and possibly Strikers after that so the story is still fresh in my mind. This is going to be a big JRPG year for me between a few new releases I've really been looking forward to and 2 or 3 in my backlog I'm wanting to get to as well.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Played recently: Divinity: Original Sin II - Definitive Edition, Super Mario Party

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 11 (9 PS4, 1 Vita, 1 Switch)

I'm nearing the end of Divinity. It's definitely a top-tier RPG if you can get past the learning curve, emphasis on "role-playing" ... you can do a lot of different things a lot of different ways. It's wild. Looking forward to the last bit I have in front of me.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

GUYS, ARGYLE MADE ME A BALLER ASS ICON, IT'S SOOOO COOL, THANKS ARGYLE 8-) !!!

I really don't see how you bounced off Persona 5 the first time Argyle. That game is ridiculously cool from the word go! Now I am a little curious to see what vanilla P5 was, maybe something did change and I just am completely missing it. Glad you are enjoying it. Beware my goty thread coming later this month. I don't want to spoil anything even tangentially for you, that game is just aces. I will spoiler tag like mad :P

Played: One Piece...something, iunno, 13 Sentinels, FF7RRRRRRRRRGH!!! The hell is wrong with this Aerith woman? I actively hate her. I just want somebody to descend from the heavens, jab a like 10 foot blade right through her spine and then throw her lifeless husk of a body into a lake or something...seriously, does she ever shut the **** up? Or at least have ANYTHING RELEVANT TO LITERALLY ANYTHING HAPPENING TO SAY? I swear, she has totally killed the pacing of this game for me. I was humming along nicely and then...ugh. So Tifa is like in this game. Why is Aerith here? Because Tifa is just the ride or die. I don't need Aerith. Can they just write her out of the next one? Did she die in Midgar? I thought she died out in the world somewhere in the original game. I just want her gone.

I really hate Aerith and want her dead again is the sentiment here. Periodt.

Bought: One Piece...something or other, that Ardyn episode for FF15...OH PHASE! I bought Mass Effect for $9 for later this year dude! You sold me on this thing and if it's not my jam...I want my $9 back :P .

So I grabbed One Piece whatever because I played it years ago (like when I first moved to the city) on the Vita (...I should play my Vita more...) and I am so feening for a PS2/PS3 light action RPG romp that I can just zone out to like Okami, KH or something along those lines. I don't want to manage much, I just want cool attacks, some spectacle boss fights, some nifty movement options. I also want it to be cheap, so I grabbed this and it is kinda scratching the itch at the moment but I am still digging...if any of y'all can think of something like that let me know. If not, I am replaying FF15 (which is why I bought Ardyn) because I blew through it in a week traveling with my wife to Detroit and I brought my PS4. I didn't do any of the episodes but I remember digging it (not the story, that sucked) but I really just mainlined it. So after I play through FF7R and 13 Setinels, I will go back to DQ11S then probably FF15 replay. It seemed like a wandering mess of a game which is kind of what I am looking for at the moment...kind of like this meandering ass post :P .

Oh one more thing: the hell am I missing in Diablo 3? I keep trying to get into it but I never know what I am doing or where to go. Can someone help a brother out? That might scratch my light action RPG itch and I can go through it with a bunch of different characters...if I knew what exactly I was supposed to do and all...I just don't get the thread of what I am supposed to be doing and sick of going to the same 3 or so places and then back to town.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:27 pmDid she die in Midgar?
No.
crimson_tide wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:27 pmOH PHASE! I bought Mass Effect for $9 for later this year dude! You sold me on this thing and if it's not my jam...I want my $9 back :P .
I bought Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise for $10 which you sold me on, so if it’s not my jam we’ll call it even. ;)
argyle

Post by argyle »

crimson_tide wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:27 pm GUYS, ARGYLE MADE ME A BALLER ASS ICON, IT'S SOOOO COOL, THANKS ARGYLE 8-) !!!
YW - I'm just glad you like it. :)
crimson_tide wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:27 pmI really don't see how you bounced off Persona 5 the first time Argyle. That game is ridiculously cool from the word go! Now I am a little curious to see what vanilla P5 was, maybe something did change and I just am completely missing it. Glad you are enjoying it. Beware my goty thread coming later this month. I don't want to spoil anything even tangentially for you, that game is just aces. I will spoiler tag like mad :P
I'm not sure either honestly, given how much I'm loving it now. I'll avoid your thread until I've finished it, but at the rate I'm going that shouldn't be TOO long. ;) Are you planning on grabbing Strikers?
crimson_tide wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:27 pm I am so feening for a PS2/PS3 light action RPG romp that I can just zone out to like Okami, KH or something along those lines. I don't want to manage much, I just want cool attacks, some spectacle boss fights, some nifty movement options. I also want it to be cheap, so I grabbed this and it is kinda scratching the itch at the moment but I am still digging...if any of y'all can think of something like that let me know.
Two come to mind - first, Immortals: Fenyx Rising. Not sure on the current price, but it was going for $30 over the holidays. At any rate, it's pretty much exactly the type of game you described and I've yet to recommend it to someone who didn't love it. Second would be Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning, assuming you didn't play this back on the PS3. Again, pretty much exactly the game you're describing with a pretty good story and some great combat, skills to learn, etc. Can't go wrong with either of these IMO.
crimson_tide wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:27 pmOh one more thing: the hell am I missing in Diablo 3? I keep trying to get into it but I never know what I am doing or where to go. Can someone help a brother out? That might scratch my light action RPG itch and I can go through it with a bunch of different characters...if I knew what exactly I was supposed to do and all...I just don't get the thread of what I am supposed to be doing and sick of going to the same 3 or so places and then back to town.
Diablo is about collecting loot so you can do more damage & live longer, thereby allowing you to collect more loot. Either that weird loop clicks for you and you get addicted to it for a bit, or you'll bounce off of it scratching your head. Sounds like you're leaning towards the latter. ;)
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Maneater PS5

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 41 games

Guess I forgot to post this week. :o

Been putting some decent time into both Valhalla and Maneater, but there's a lot to do in them so it's a tad slow. I'm trying to focus on the story in both and then come back to side stuff/collectibles further on. Maneater is fun, for sure, but some of those enemies are tough!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I turned 51 today.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:34 am I turned 51 today.
Happy B-day phase!

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:34 am I turned 51 today.
Happy Birthday!! You're only as old as you feel! :D
source.gif