The Backlog Check-in Vol. 163: 2/13/21: Valentine’s Day Edition

argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 163: 2/13/21: Valentine’s Day Edition

Post by argyle »

FYI, Yakuza 3 is the only one I've finished.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Yeah, I could totally see that. Yakuza flippin' meanders and you HAVE to be there for it. The tonal whiplash of:

'OH MY GOD, THEY HAVE A GUN TO X CHARACTER'S HEAD AND THE BOMB IS GOING TO BLOW AND THERE ARE AT LEAST 100 YAKUZA FOOT SOLDIERS BETWEEN KIRIYU AND THE DOOR, THE TRAP IS SET!!!'

leading directly to:

'This is urgent, Kiriyu will be right the...is that dude wearing just his underwear? Why?...oh wait, there's new trainer? Cool! Wait, the hostess wants a date now? Darts? Sure...hey, they have all of VF5 Showdown AND Puyo Puyo in this game?...The hell was I supposed to be doing?'

makes them way rougher to get through than many, many games. I personally LOVE this and have determined this is the exact type of game genre I want to play at all times (straight up tonal whiplash). I would still HIGHLY recommend powering through Yakuza 0, Yakuza 6 and Like a Dragon. They are exceptional stories though time consuming. 6 put a far better bow on things than I would have thought and Like a Dragon did an amazing job handing of the baton for the series to continue. Kiwami and Kiwami 2 are shorter (I think 20 and 30 hours respectively) but they still are low tier on my Yakuza tier list.

Planning to finish 13 Sentinels over the next couple days (can't go anywhere anyway) and then be ready for P5 Strikers Friday so I can make some good headway into that one before back to work on Monday (yeah, it's still remote teaching but I am kinda burnt on screens at the end of the day now...).
argyle

Post by argyle »

crimson_tide wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:50 am Yeah, I could totally see that. Yakuza flippin' meanders and you HAVE to be there for it. The tonal whiplash of:

'OH MY GOD, THEY HAVE A GUN TO X CHARACTER'S HEAD AND THE BOMB IS GOING TO BLOW AND THERE ARE AT LEAST 100 YAKUZA FOOT SOLDIERS BETWEEN KIRIYU AND THE DOOR, THE TRAP IS SET!!!'

leading directly to:

'This is urgent, Kiriyu will be right the...is that dude wearing just his underwear? Why?...oh wait, there's new trainer? Cool! Wait, the hostess wants a date now? Darts? Sure...hey, they have all of VF5 Showdown AND Puyo Puyo in this game?...The hell was I supposed to be doing?'

makes them way rougher to get through than many, many games. I personally LOVE this and have determined this is the exact type of game genre I want to play at all times (straight up tonal whiplash). I would still HIGHLY recommend powering through Yakuza 0, Yakuza 6 and Like a Dragon. They are exceptional stories though time consuming. 6 put a far better bow on things than I would have thought and Like a Dragon did an amazing job handing of the baton for the series to continue. Kiwami and Kiwami 2 are shorter (I think 20 and 30 hours respectively) but they still are low tier on my Yakuza tier list.

Planning to finish 13 Sentinels over the next couple days (can't go anywhere anyway) and then be ready for P5 Strikers Friday so I can make some good headway into that one before back to work on Monday (yeah, it's still remote teaching but I am kinda burnt on screens at the end of the day now...).

Well, I am GOING to finish 0, I'm way too far into that game and I was enjoying the crap out of it - then something else came out and my ADD kicked in and there you go. Also, if Like A Dragon really is better than P5R like you said, then it has just jumped WAAAAY up my list to something I'm going to be playing in the very near future. Because P5R is god-like tier.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis