The Backlog Check-in Vol. 167: 3/13/21: Space Otter Charlie Edition

canedaddy

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 167: 3/13/21: Space Otter Charlie Edition

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:18 am I’m officially addicted to Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, why didn’t any of you here that have played it tell me how good that it was? :P But seriously, based on what I’ve played of it so far it’s the best Assassin’s Creed game that I’ve played. But it doesn’t really seem like an AC game. While Origins before it went in a more action RPG direction, it still felt like an AC game in a lot of ways. However, Odyssey doesn’t. It just seems like a standalone third person open world action RPG similar to something like The Witcher III that’s not really connected to the AC series. Perhaps it will the further that I get into it, but so far it pretty much feels like its own thing.

Everything about it is well done... the story, characters, world design, graphics, gameplay, skills, quest variety, music, voice acting, etc. And of course Kassandra. She’s one of the best main protagonists that I’ve played in a game.

Back to playing...
I've probably asked this here before, but does it have any of the usual AC sci-fi nonsense? Do you walk around ancient Greece or whatever in a hoodie?
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:03 amI've probably asked this here before, but does it have any of the usual AC sci-fi nonsense? Do you walk around ancient Greece or whatever in a hoodie?
There was a brief scene at the very beginning that took place in the current day, but that’s been it so far. I’m still early in the story so I’m sure that more current day stuff will pop up along the way since it’s still a part of the series, but it’s definitely been less of a focus in the last few AC games including this one based on what I’ve played of it.

So far in the story there hasn’t been any assassin stuff, so no walking around in hooded assassin garb yet. I’ve gotten a few cool armor sets so far, and you’re able to hide helmets which I prefer because I like to see my character’s head/face while playing and in cutscenes.

What was the last AC game that you played?
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

The first one. :lol: I just hated the sci-fi stuff and haven't gone back to it.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:18 pmThe first one. :lol: I just hated the sci-fi stuff and haven't gone back to it.
You’ve only played the first Assassin’s Creed? For some reason I thought that you played more of them, but I guess not. I never really minded the current day sci-fi stuff in the earlier games as it fit with the story that they were telling at the time, but after a while it sort of ran its course and started to feel intrusive and out of place in the games. It definitely feels out of place in Odyssey since it doesn’t feel very much like an AC game, but so far it hasn’t been very present.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I’m still having a great time with Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, I even somewhat like the ship combat in it. :o It doesn’t seem like a big part of the game like it was in Black Flag, you just sometimes engage in combat while traversing the sea by ship.

I’m playing the game on normal, and it’s been challenging. But it’s a good kind of challenging that adds an extra incentive to do the optional side stuff to level up, unlock new abilities/skills and get better weapons and armor.

The world map is huge packed with islands, and I’ve only been to a few so far and they’ve been a good size. I guess that this is going to be a 100+ hour game which I’m fine with if it continues to be the quality that it has been.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:42 pm You’ve only played the first Assassin’s Creed? For some reason I thought that you played more of them, but I guess not. I never really minded the current day sci-fi stuff in the earlier games as it fit with the story that they were telling at the time, but after a while it sort of ran its course and started to feel intrusive and out of place in the games. It definitely feels out of place in Odyssey since it doesn’t feel very much like an AC game, but so far it hasn’t been very present.
In just about every way those games should be a home run for me... I love open worlds with a lot to do and settings in different historical periods, and I really enjoyed all the Prince of Persia games by these same folks. But the sci-fi thing, along with the ridiculousness of hoodie guy in some of those worlds, is a deal breaker. I mean, I've been dying for a great pirate game since I got done with Sid Meiers' joint on the Genesis a million years ago, but I still haven't touched Black Flag.

Of course, stupid corniness hasn't stopped me from firing up Need for Speed Payback. I was looking in my PS+ library for something to play and saw it in there. It has the dumbest storyline and most inane characters of anything I've played in a long time, the setting is the typical NFS Generic Land (this time, Fake Vegas), and the driving isn't great, but I still found myself playing it till midnight last night. That just tells you how much I miss a certain kind of racing game. Dang it, Rockstar, bring back Midnight Club!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:03 pmIn just about every way those games should be a home run for me... I love open worlds with a lot to do and settings in different historical periods, and I really enjoyed all the Prince of Persia games by these same folks. But the sci-fi thing, along with the ridiculousness of hoodie guy in some of those worlds, is a deal breaker.
I think that you should at least give Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla a chance since the current day sci-fi stuff in them isn’t very prominent, and you don’t play as hoodie guy in them.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

I too think you should give this Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla run a go, old man. Layla, the future...person (seriously, this...person blows so hard...) is awful but used sparingly. But if you want some game ass games, this recent Assassin's Creed run is just that. Origins is a little more story focused with a very clear through line. While it's just a massive version of Origins, Odyssey is...A LOT. Literally. There's just so much and it's so sprawling I often lost the plot. I honestly don't have a grasp after 130 hours and playing all the DLC. However, every one of those 130 hours was pretty much a blast the whole time. The game is super rewarding, there's tons to do, you can go anywhere and do anything. This lack of focus is where the game (I'd say entirely unintentionally) finds its charm and hits its stride. If you want Egyptian Kazuma and like 30 minutes of Layla (ewww...), play Origins. If you don't care about the plot (and you seem to absolutely not), skip it and go straight to Odyssey. I am holding off on Valhalla until it's dirt cheap like all the Assassins's Creed games I've bought but I can't imagine it being anything but a bigger Odyssey...which is kinda terrifying. But I will play it someday. Also, ignore every other AC game if you dig these. I fell so hard for Origins and Odyssey I tried going backwards and no...it just doesn't work. I tried really hard, the only one I ignored was Unity but even the one I kinda dug (Syndicate) was too much for me and I bounced off...

WAIT!!!! ARGYLE FINISHED P5R!!! I WANNA TALK ABOUT P5R!!!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

All right, thanks for the word. Egypt is a great setting, I'll think about that one when it's like $10.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:15 pmAll right, thanks for the word. Egypt is a great setting, I'll think about that one when it's like $10.
Yeah, I think that I like the Egypt setting of Origins more than the Greece setting of Odyssey. It has more distinct and varied environments, and locales. Greece is colorful and pretty, but it’s a bit same-y. The areas don’t look that much different from each other.