The Backlog Check-in Vol. 168: 3/20/21: Monster Hunter Rise Edition

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 168: 3/20/21: Monster Hunter Rise Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:26 pmI'm still riding along in NFS Payback despite the annoying douchebag characters and preposterous story. The racing has gotten better now that I have some decent rides, and the progression and variety of races are pretty darn good. It has some dumb ideas (the card system for tuning) but the customization is solid. I'm probably sticking with it till the end.
I somewhat liked the little of it that I played including the story and characters which I found to be dumb fun, so I’ll probably give it another go in the future.
jfissel wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:22 pmCorrect me if I'm wrong, but Odyssey has an absolute ton of weapons and armor, correct? It's way more focused in Valhalla where you get pieces of gear sparingly and I think the purpose is to make you upgrade them.
Yeah, I’m constantly getting new weapons and armor in Odyssey to the point where I don’t get to stick with anything for too long which is a little annoying. I’m glad that they toned it back in Valhalla, because new weapons and armor feel more significant when you don’t get them as often. Also, even though there’s an over-abundance of weapons and armor in Odyssey I still mainly upgrade the few that I like and dismantle a lot of the new ones that I get. There’s definitely more than is necessary.
jfissel wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:22 pmUnless you are just in an AC mode, I would suggest putting some other games and space in between playing Odyssey and Valhalla.
If I stick with Odyssey until the end I won’t play Valhalla for a while, but I was thinking about quitting Odyssey and starting Valhalla because I think that I will like it more as Odyssey is starting to feel a bit repetitive and same-y in both what I’m doing and the areas. Also, I heard that Odyssey’s DLC (which I don’t have) is necessary to make it a complete experience while Valhalla is a complete experience on its own.
jfissel wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:22 pmI mean, they are so similar that to me the ranking comes down to the setting. And I like ancient Greece better than dark age England. I also really enjoyed Origins.
I think that I will like Valhalla’s dark age England more than Odyssey’s ancient Greece, I just think that its darker tone in general will appeal to me more. Odyssey comes across a little campy a lot of the time, my second encounter with Alexios was laughable - am I supposed to be taking this stuff seriously? I like Kassandra and the gameplay loop of Odyssey, but the story hasn’t been too strong and the areas all kind of look the same. I’m just not sure that I can stick with it for 100+ hours, especially knowing that it’s not a complete experience without its DLC.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:16 pmAlso, I heard that Odyssey’s DLC (which I don’t have) is necessary to make it a complete experience while Valhalla is a complete experience on its own.
I didn't feel that way. I had the edition that came w/ the season pass, but when I played it most of the DLC wasn't out yet. I think I played the first one that released, *MAYBE* part of the second, but I was fine w/ the ending from the regular game.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:28 pmI didn't feel that way. I had the edition that came w/ the season pass, but when I played it most of the DLC wasn't out yet. I think I played the first one that released, *MAYBE* part of the second, but I was fine w/ the ending from the regular game.
Thanks for letting me know because I’m enjoying Odyssey, but I didn’t want it to feel like an incomplete experience without its DLC since I don’t have it.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Oh, it ends fine Phase. The DLC is absolute bug**** insanity from beginning to end. It's just a lot. It doesn't add anything at all to the story since it has its own ... Layla focused nonsense it's centered around in the current day. It is absolutely a fun time but it's just more Odyssey. And there's so much Odyssey already that more of it is just...more of it. I can picture you easily being done with it and satisfied with the base game the way you like to move on to new things and whatnot. It's already ludicrously long before DLC anyway :P

And I had to delete God of War, sorry old man. I just can't deal with Kratos on the whole. He might have all the reasons but I don't want to participate in it. And no izzy, I am no saint but I can't deal with Kratos right now. Too many things not hitting right and I am a bit more prickly about my media at the moment. It's normally not necessary for me to love or even like the main character (Neku from my actual all time favorite game The World Ends With You might be the most entitled, whiny, self important little piece of **** in the history of gaming but I stuck with it multiple times already). But I am at a weird point in my life where I do currently need to be able to see some good in the character because we are pretty scummy to each other already on the whole and my escapism isn't taking part in being scummy at the moment, it's about punching the scummy people right in their scummy faces. I bounced off of Prototype because homeboy was a straight up scumbag with no redeeming qualities but he was extremely mad he had superpowers? Maybe it's more of a post pandemic experience, where I am not being overly precious about my media again :P .
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

crimson_tide wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:34 am And I had to delete God of War, sorry old man. I just can't deal with Kratos on the whole. He might have all the reasons but I don't want to participate in it. And no izzy, I am no saint but I can't deal with Kratos right now. Too many things not hitting right and I am a bit more prickly about my media at the moment. It's normally not necessary for me to love or even like the main character (Neku from my actual all time favorite game The World Ends With You might be the most entitled, whiny, self important little piece of **** in the history of gaming but I stuck with it multiple times already). But I am at a weird point in my life where I do currently need to be able to see some good in the character because we are pretty scummy to each other already on the whole and my escapism isn't taking part in being scummy at the moment, it's about punching the scummy people right in their scummy faces. I bounced off of Prototype because homeboy was a straight up scumbag with no redeeming qualities but he was extremely mad he had superpowers? Maybe it's more of a post pandemic experience, where I am not being overly precious about my media again :P .
Yes, I totally get that crim. And only a saint would say that they're no saint. I can see you. ;)

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:34 amOh, it ends fine Phase. The DLC is absolute bug**** insanity from beginning to end. It's just a lot. It doesn't add anything at all to the story since it has its own ... Layla focused nonsense it's centered around in the current day. It is absolutely a fun time but it's just more Odyssey. And there's so much Odyssey already that more of it is just...more of it. I can picture you easily being done with it and satisfied with the base game the way you like to move on to new things and whatnot. It's already ludicrously long before DLC anyway :P
I’ve played 40 hours of it now, and I haven’t even uncovered half of the map yet. There’s quests upon quests everywhere, and there’s more always popping up. They seem endless, and most of them are fairly involved. Only a few have been recycled fetch quests, and point A to B jaunts. The amount of content in the game is staggering, I can’t think of any other game that has offered more. And it’s impressive looking, and fun to play.
crimson_tide wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:34 amI had to delete God of War, sorry old man. I just can't deal with Kratos on the whole. He might have all the reasons but I don't want to participate in it. And no izzy, I am no saint but I can't deal with Kratos right now. Too many things not hitting right and I am a bit more prickly about my media at the moment. It's normally not necessary for me to love or even like the main character (Neku from my actual all time favorite game The World Ends With You might be the most entitled, whiny, self important little piece of **** in the history of gaming but I stuck with it multiple times already). But I am at a weird point in my life where I do currently need to be able to see some good in the character because we are pretty scummy to each other already on the whole and my escapism isn't taking part in being scummy at the moment, it's about punching the scummy people right in their scummy faces. I bounced off of Prototype because homeboy was a straight up scumbag with no redeeming qualities but he was extremely mad he had superpowers?
It’s gotten to the point for me where if I don’t really like the character that I’m playing as in a game regardless of how good the game is then I don’t want to play it. For example, I’m really enjoying Assassin’s Creed Odyssey right now but if I had to play as Alexios instead of as Kassandra then I wouldn’t be playing it because I have no interest in playing as him. I stopped playing Assassin’s Creed Origins because I didn’t really like Bayek, but if I could have played as his wife Aya instead then I would have finished it because I liked her much more and would have enjoyed the game a lot more as her.

I’ve mentioned before that I prefer female characters to male ones, whenever given the choice to play as a male or female character I always choose female. There are of course games such as Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, Red Dead Redemption, Spider-Man, Uncharted and Yakuza for example where I’m perfectly fine playing as the male leads in them, but for the most part I tend to prefer playing as female characters in games not only because I find a lot of male characters to be douche-y, generic and overall unappealing but also because female characters are more appealing to look at IMO. ;)