The Backlog Check-in Vol. 168: 3/20/21: Monster Hunter Rise Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 168: 3/20/21: Monster Hunter Rise Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

Added: Alphadia Genesis, Liege Dragon, Romancing SaGa 2, Romancing SaGa 3, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game, Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, Shady Part of Me, Streets of Rage 4, Ys: Memories of Celceta

Games releasing this week
Arkham Horror: Mother’s Embrace
Balan Wonderworld
Black Legend
Bladed Fury
Clea 2
Crypto by Powgi
Dandy Ace
Danger Scavenger
Die With Glory
Evil Inside
The Fabled Woods
Gangsta Paradise
Genesis Noir
It Takes Two
Kaze and the Wild Masks
Love Live! School Idol Festival: After School Activity Wai-Wai! Home Meeting!!
Mazm: The Phantom of the Opera
Monster Hunter Rise
Paperball Deluxe
Paradise Lost
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
Record of Lodos War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
Rip Them Off
Root Film
Ruvato: Original Complex
Sanity of Morris
Scandal in the Spotlight
Space Robinson
Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town
Sumatra: Fate of Yandi
Tank Brawl 2: Armor Fury
Vaporum: Lockdown
crimson_tide

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 168: 3/20/21: Monster Hunter Rise Edition

Post by crimson_tide »

Cryto by Powgi? Gangsta Paradise? Black Legend? Tank Brawl 2 Armor Fury? Dandy Ace? Again, and I can't stress this enough because no, absolutely no: Crypto by Powgi? Ok Phase, are you angling for a job at Square as the dude who exclusively comes up with fake games for the Toy Story world like they had in KH3 (seriously): https://kotaku.com/every-fake-game-in-k ... 1832684981

Played: Ugh, I was all over the place this week but I guess I actually sat down and played God of War (more on that in a minute) and Yakuza 3 (...I need to stop playing this. Immediately.)

Bought: The Division Gold Edition, Shadow Tactics, Dragon Quest Heroes 2 (physical, it was really, really cheap)

This week:...Yakuza 3, DQ11S

So. God of War. No. I refuse. Kratos is a detestable person and I am not going to be party to abusing his son (WHY DOES HE GET TO KEEP HAVING CHILDREN, HE IS OBJECTIVELY AWFUL AT BEING A PARENT) so that I can experience Kratos 'grow' as character. I played it for about half an hour and his absolute refusal to refer to HIS OWN CHILD BY NAME instead belting out BOY! when he needs him and inability to jcomfort him after HIS MOTHER ******* DIED is not ok. A movie, I might watch. I am not going to directly control this abusive dickbag for 20 hours who has learned absolutely nothing in umpteen games. People swore up and down he changed, HOW? Kratos sucks and is angry. Now Kratos suck, is angry and has a thicker beard? No. Not doing it. Not falling for it again.

On the opposite end, Kazuma is the best dad in the history of parenthood. But Yakuza 3...I am just about to go to Kamarucho again but I am not feeling huge swaths of this game. However, other parts I absolutely love revisiting. I think I should stop before going to Kamarucho. I think I might straight up bow out of the hostess missions if I stick with it. I did them for completion's sake and the exp bonus but I don't have the tie or patience for it anymore. I can grind out exp in the arena maybe this time. I also remember this being the yakuza with the hitman missions and I am going to be obsessed with those if I keep going.

Next week is spring break so I should really get into DQ11S. My goddaughter is staying with us long term so I think I can play this in front of her with no problems during the days we are in the house. I'm at the tournament city now and just about to enter the tournament for the thing that I need I can never remember.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

crimson_tide wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:52 am So. God of War. No. I refuse. Kratos is a detestable person and I am not going to be party to abusing his son (WHY DOES HE GET TO KEEP HAVING CHILDREN, HE IS OBJECTIVELY AWFUL AT BEING A PARENT) so that I can experience Kratos 'grow' as character. I played it for about half an hour and his absolute refusal to refer to HIS OWN CHILD BY NAME instead belting out BOY! when he needs him and inability to jcomfort him after HIS MOTHER ******* DIED is not ok. A movie, I might watch. I am not going to directly control this abusive dickbag for 20 hours who has learned absolutely nothing in umpteen games. People swore up and down he changed, HOW? Kratos sucks and is angry. Now Kratos suck, is angry and has a thicker beard? No. Not doing it. Not falling for it again.
You must be the purest of hearts crim. :) For me games, are fantasy...escapism. I don't invest in the way that you do, or rather I know I'm letting go of myself for a while. The new GOW rubbed me the wrong way in many ways, but for other reasons though. I enjoyed it to a degree, but it was in now way a true GOW game for me. (I love rageaholic Kratos! :P)

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:52 amCryto by Powgi? Gangsta Paradise? Black Legend? Tank Brawl 2 Armor Fury? Dandy Ace? Again, and I can't stress this enough because no, absolutely no: Crypto by Powgi? Ok Phase, are you angling for a job at Square as the dude who exclusively comes up with fake games for the Toy Story world like they had in KH3 (seriously): https://kotaku.com/every-fake-game-in-k ... 1832684981
I couldn’t make up game names like those, they even sound faker than the ones in the Toy Story world in Kingdom Hearts III. I was going to title this thread the Love Live! School Idol Festival: After School Activity Wai-Wai! Home Meeting!! Edition, but the name wouldn’t fit. :P
crimson_tide wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:52 am So. God of War. No. I refuse. Kratos is a detestable person and I am not going to be party to abusing his son (WHY DOES HE GET TO KEEP HAVING CHILDREN, HE IS OBJECTIVELY AWFUL AT BEING A PARENT) so that I can experience Kratos 'grow' as character. I played it for about half an hour and his absolute refusal to refer to HIS OWN CHILD BY NAME instead belting out BOY! when he needs him and inability to jcomfort him after HIS MOTHER ******* DIED is not ok. A movie, I might watch. I am not going to directly control this abusive dickbag for 20 hours who has learned absolutely nothing in umpteen games. People swore up and down he changed, HOW? Kratos sucks and is angry. Now Kratos suck, is angry and has a thicker beard? No. Not doing it. Not falling for it again.
After finishing this game I felt that it would have worked better as a new IP not connected to God of War and instead being a mother and son journey with you playing as Atreus’s mother Faye instead of as Kratos. While Kratos does change somewhat throughout the game, he’s still Kratos and not a character that I’ve ever been all that particularly fond of. But I did like him more in this game, and the game itself is really good.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:12 pm After finishing this game I felt that it would have worked better as a new IP not connected to God of War...
Yes, I agree. I would have been far more forgiving had it been rebranded as something all its own.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 43 games

Crim, the kid's name...well, there's a reason why they don't reveal it right away.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:21 pmCrim, the kid's name...well, there's a reason why they don't reveal it right away.
He has a name (Atreus) before the reveal that you’re talking about.

By the way, how would you compare Assassin’s Creed Valhalla to Odyssey? I’m playing Odyssey now and really enjoying it, but I’ve heard that Valhalla is even better.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Games added: Road to Guang Dong, The Ninja Saviors, Murder By Numbers, Shiny, Distraint Collection, Death's Gambit, Lovecraft's Untold Stories (all of that was a huge import order that came in the mail) - Hades, Splatoon 2, Roundguard

Last week: Finished Kunai, played Roundguard, Y's IX

This week: More of those, maybe something else

Kunai was good. It had some rough edges - it definitely feels like a early game by an indie studio - but it also has a lot of charm, a distinctive graphic style, and some tight controls and fun exploration. I'd give it a recommend to anyone who enjoys a good Metroidvania. My main knock is too much backtracking (with no fast travel). Also I didn't technically beat it I suppose - the final boss was a damage sponge PITA, and after a few attempts I decided I didn't feel like banging my head against that wall so I just watched the (4 second) ending on YouTube.

Roundguard is something I've been waiting for a sale on for a bit now. I think I've mentioned that I have a soft spot for the Peggle games, well this is basically the Puzzle Quest version of Peggle. It also has a bit of rogue-like thrown in for good measure, which these days basically just means randomized levels when you die. But for a puzzle game, it works really well. I'm digging it, it will probably be my "chill out" game for a bit.

I'm early into Y's IX, but early impressions are 1) It looks rough - I don't play the Y's games for graphics, but I guess it's more jarring after coming off of P5. It's not ugly, but the character designs aren't exactly inspired and it still looks like an enhanced PS2 game. *shrug* 2) Combat is fun enough, but nothing groundbreaking 3) the lore is DENSE with made-up jargon, to the point that it's kinda hilarious. I was cracking Tam up the other night just reading some of it to her. They explain made-up words with more made-up words. It's ridiculous.

So yeah, not sure if that one's going to "stick" right now or not.

Haven't started Hades yet. Considering it. Really don't know what I wanna play right now, I'm in that post-awesome-game funk.

EDIT: BTW crim, start up a P5R spoiler thread and I'll be glad to talk about it with ya. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

I loved the new God of War. Stick with it, crim... not everything is as you suspect it to be.

Played recently: Need for Speed Payback

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 11 (7 PS4, 1 Vita, 3 Switch)

I'm still riding along in NFS Payback despite the annoying douchebag characters and preposterous story. The racing has gotten better now that I have some decent rides, and the progression and variety of races are pretty darn good. It has some dumb ideas (the card system for tuning) but the customization is solid. I'm probably sticking with it till the end.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:26 pm By the way, how would you compare Assassin’s Creed Valhalla to Odyssey? I’m playing Odyssey now and really enjoying it, but I’ve heard that Valhalla is even better.
They are very similar, but there are a few key differences that probably determine better/worse than Odyssey. The map size and amount of things to do is about the same, though there is clearly less water and sailing in Valhalla. I like both maps as they contain a lot of different terrains and interesting areas to explore. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Odyssey has an absolute ton of weapons and armor, correct? It's way more focused in Valhalla where you get pieces of gear sparingly and I think the purpose is to make you upgrade them. There is a settlement-building component to Valhalla, but it's not emphasized too much and you can probably skip most of it. Though you can build things that help you out...such as a cartographer's hut where the guy will sell you maps to find collectibles.

Unless you are just in an AC mode, I would suggest putting some other games and space in between playing Odyssey and Valhalla.

I mean, they are so similar that to me the ranking comes down to the setting. And I like ancient Greece better than dark age England. I also really enjoyed Origins.