The Backlog Check-in Vol. 170: 4/3/21: Oddworld: Soulstorm Edition

crimson_tide

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 170: 4/3/21: Oddworld: Soulstorm Edition

Post by crimson_tide »

Sup Snux (this is your name now, deal :P )! Also, thanks for house hunting commiserating, I think it's a huge part of my general blah's as of late.

Played: Yakuza 3 (I...man...nope, not going to say it!), Mendel Palace...a tiny bit of DQ11S...a smidge of what I bought this week...think that's it...

Bought: Jotun (...eh), Sundered (...eh), Namco Collection 1 and 2...oh yeah, Gunlord X (...eh. I should just buy the Turrican collection because this ain't Turrican).

This week: Well, I downloaded and started The Division already. It's fine. I guess. I don't know what I am doing yet. But I get to be a middle aged black lady with a touch of gray and some really awful hair options (I don't know why she can't have cornrows or twists but the dudes can...) so that was kinda fun. For a minute. Also Avengers is on PS Now. So now instead of playing Puzzle Fighter and the boss segments of Sonic Generations exclusively, I will finally play something on the service new! Yay...I think. Everybody hates this game but as part of a subscription, I can finally try out the story which is the only thing I care about. Mostly because Kamala Kahn is flipping BALLER and having the sheer gall to make Modok the big boss is definitely a choice...so I will give it the 10-15 or so hours and likely ignore the online part they want me to play because I am a curmudgeon and don't want to play with other people. Ew.

Yeah, I cannot get into anything lately. Don't know what's up with me, I have a TON to play but nothing ain't hitting right for some reason. That's why I am trying to branch out into some different things for me like The Division and old school stuff. Something's got to hit sooner or later :) .
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:44 pmI fired up Control a couple nights ago (it was one of the others I grabbed in the Xbox Spring Sale) and it's really fun.
I’ve heard good things about it. It’s in my backlog, and I plan on playing it when the mood strikes me.
crimson_tide wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:03 pmYeah, I cannot get into anything lately. Don't know what's up with me, I have a TON to play but nothing ain't hitting right for some reason. That's why I am trying to branch out into some different things for me like The Division and old school stuff. Something's got to hit sooner or later :) .
Ghost Recon: Wildlands ;)
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

I know fam Phase, when they put it on sale for $10, I will bite. And that could be like tomorrow because Ubisoft :P . I still have to look at Mass Effect Andromeda which I downloaded based solely on your praise you know :) .

So Avengers...how? It is aggressively bad. It just feels awkward. The only good things are the writing and voice acting so far. I streamed it from PS Now and normally I don't care about all the artifacting and whatnot but it is awful here. I would download it but I don't think that will make the capital G Game any better. The boss fights are just horrendous. There are robots everywhere. The goddamn Hulk can die. All the long distance combat is awful. It's visually a mess from an artistic standpoint. Nothing looks good. The powers are all over the place and don't feel right. No character feels good to control. The upgrades and skill trees are poorly implemented. It's some weird skill tree for every character and the gear upgrades...Hulk gets new ribcages and tendons because he doesn't wear gear...but the game is built around gear? And upgrading the gear is a lot. It's all just too much and none of it is interesting. It's just so bad...I thought people were just being mean and enjoying the schadenfreude but no. It's bad. How did this get released? I just did the second boss and the umpteenth wave of teleporting, flying robots (there's so many...). And I really think this is the whole game. I might not even bother finishing it even though I do dig the basic framework of the story. What an absolute letdown. Now I am even more blah than I was before I played it...

Oh I almost forgot why I came here. I bought all the Arc the Lad games (except Monster Arena), Vanguard Bandits (which I didn't even know was on PSN) and P3 Portable because the store is closing and some stuff is getting delisted already. I think I will hold off on the first two Personas because I remember them being really awkward and obtuse and I couldn't get into them. I don't think I don't have anything else on Vita that I don't own already.