The Backlog Check-in Vol. 171: 4/10/21: SaGa Frontier Remastered/Shadow Man Remastered Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 171: 4/10/21: SaGa Frontier Remastered/Shadow Man Remastered Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

Added: Nothing

Games releasing this week
Altdeus: Beyond Chronos
Ashwalkers: A Survival Journey
Battle Axe
Cannon Brawl
The Darkside Detective
Demon Skin
Enlisted
Gravity Heroes
Knight Squad 2
Poison Control
Quantum League
Rain on Your parade
Ravensword: Shadowlands
SaGa Frontier Remastered
Shadow Man Remastered
Skyland: Heart of the Mountain
Stitchy in Tooki Trouble
Tasomachi: Behind the Twilight
Tribal Pass
Yoko & Yuki: Dr. Rat’s Revenge
jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 171: 4/10/21: SaGa Frontier Remastered/Shadow Man Remastered Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Assassin's Creed Valhalla (plainum)

Now Playing: Maquette PS5, something on PS4 - R&C 2016 maybe?

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 42 games

And Assassin's Creed Valhalla is in the books! 146 hours, 33 minutes for the platinum...just...so...long, lol. I enjoyed it, but there's just too much random stuff to do.

Next up is something on PS4. Maybe some of the smaller PSN games I have before diving into a game like Ratchet & Clank 2016? Not sure yet.
Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 171: 4/10/21: SaGa Frontier Remastered/Shadow Man Remastered Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

I finished Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, it took me 130 hours. I uncovered the majority of the map, did all of the side quests and killed most of the cultists. While the overall gameplay loop was a bit repetitive, it was fun. I wouldn’t have played it for 130 hours if it wasn’t. :P I enjoyed playing as Kassandra doing assassinations, clearing out bandit/soldier camps/forts, fighting mobs of enemies and constantly taking on bounty hunters/mercenaries. The occasional conquest and ship battles added a little more variety to things as well.

I didn’t find the main storyline particularly strong, it was definitely the side quests and their mini-stories that made the game for me. Like I said before, a better name for the game would be The Adventures of Kassandra the Eagle Bearer since not only doesn’t it seem very much like an Assassin’s Creed game but also because the bulk of the game is going on little adventures separate from the main story.

While it was a fun game to play and included a good blend of both seriousness and humor, nothing all that exciting ever really happened in the story. There was a lot of talking, but not much else. The lack of scripted events and set pieces was disappointing as well. The end sequence was fairly anticlimactic, and the ending was somewhat brief and a little cheesy. And the final quest being treated like just another quest left a little to be desired, I would have liked ending credits after completing it.

Based on what I’ve seen of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, I expect to like it more. The story looks better, and the world looks more varied. I liked colorful ancient Greece in Odyssey, but it was all somewhat same-y looking. And a good amount of it consisted of small islands which I wasn’t a big fan of, because constantly having to travel long distances by sea wasn’t very fun IMO.
Last edited by Phaseknox on Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

130 hours, that's pretty much inline with my main play of Odyssey. I was at 170 hours total after all the DLC. Good luck with Valhalla, Phase, I hope you enjoy it!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:39 pmGood luck with Valhalla, Phase, I hope you enjoy it!
I decided to play it because I was in the mood for more Assassin’s Creed, and I’m really enjoying it. It has an epic feel to it, and the story so far is giving me a Game of Thrones vibe which is a good thing. It’s dark, gritty and violent. There’s dismemberment, I’ve been slicing off the heads and limbs of my enemies. The combat is brutal. And the graphics are really good, the attention to detail and lighting are great. Also, I really like Eivor. She comes across like a real person, and not like a caricature. I’m really impressed with the game so far, and I look forward to playing it some more.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Dang, those are some serious hours. I don't think I've hit anywhere near that since Red Dead 2.

Played recently: Days Gone

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: Days Gone

Current backlog: 12 (9 PS4, 1 Vita, 4 Switch)

So Days Gone is a lot of fun, as you all said. I'd guess I'm about a third of the way in. I've seen my first horde... near where Deek has the memorial for Sarah. Am I supposed to be able to kill all those zombies?? It seems impossible with my current loadout and health/items.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Huh, I feel almost exactly the same about Odyssey as Phase did. Weird. That was a game ass game if there ever was one! I would strongly suggest cleaning up those assassinations of the Order or whatever. That actual storyline (besides the actual lineage of Kassandra) is just...man, that game had a gosh dang sitcom ass ending when they had two perfectly bug**** endings ready to go with the Order and Kassandra's lineage! I would be absolutely shocked you moved straight into Valhalla afterwards but I did basically the same thing with Origins so I can't judge :P ! Enjoy fam Phase, I will probably get the hyper ultra double gold uber edition of Valhalla in like June for 13 cents because Ubisoft not letting games keep their value for whatever reason.

Played: Avengers (...I almost don't like video games at all anymore...HOW IS IT THAT GODDAMN BAD HOW HOW HOW?!?!?!?), DQ11S (finally done with the tournament nonsense I didn't enjoy but hopefully going to get out into the field some more and complete the party soon!)...I think that's actually it...it's been a week fam...

Beat: nothing

DONE WITH FOREVER AND WE WILL NEVER SPEAK OF IT AGAIN. EVER. PERIODT. : Avengers HOW HOW HOW?!?!??! I know why, money. Now I need to know HOW?!??!?!??!

Bought: A bunch of PSN stuff for the Vita: P3P, the Arc the Lad trilogy (but not Monster Arena because I don't care even a little bit), and Vanguard Bandits (which I would have bought years ago but somehow missed that it was on the store?)

Bruh...Avengers really, really sucked the gaming mojo out of me. It's one of those games that just you can see the strings and it's just not worth it. They did Kamala Kahn MAD dirty, unacceptable. I hate it. I hate it more than all the bad Kingdom Hearts games. More than Sonic 06. I hate it more than my undying hated of Nintendo. It is a goddamn mess. It made me so, so sad...I have barely touched anything else all week since that debacle. I gave it time and it just kept getting worse. Ugh...just ugh...
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:12 pmI would strongly suggest cleaning up those assassinations of the Order or whatever. That actual storyline (besides the actual lineage of Kassandra) is just...man, that game had a gosh dang sitcom ass ending when they had two perfectly bug**** endings ready to go with the Order and Kassandra's lineage!
I didn’t know that you got an ending for assassinating all of the cultists. I deleted my save, so I can’t continue playing it. But you’re right, the family dinner ending seemed like a sitcom. :lol:
crimson_tide wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:12 pmI would be absolutely shocked you moved straight into Valhalla afterwards but I did basically the same thing with Origins so I can't judge :P
I wasn’t planning on playing Valhalla right after Odyssey, but I was curious how it compared so I decided to check it out. It has a much darker and more serious tone to it, both the story and setting. It feels like a somewhat different game despite having a lot of the same gameplay mechanics. The focus is on the main storyline, the side quests are a much smaller focus and not nearly as involved as they are in Odyssey. It’s not as streamlined as Odyssey, either. You need to use the vantage points to uncover things on the map, and everything requires a little more exploration instead of it just placing a marker exactly where to go. They basically make you work for things more than just handing them to you which is both good and bad IMO. It’s good in that it adds a more explorative element to the game, but bad in that it slows down the pacing a bit. It’s not the snappy paced game that Odyssey is, it’s more methodical. Based on what I’ve played of it so far it doesn’t quite have the same pick up and play fun factor as Odyssey, but it’s a deeper and more involved experience with a stronger story and better writing.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Oh, the endings thing just meant they had way, way more interesting things to end on than family dinner. In particular, what happens when you kill all of the order which became the thing I was most interested in. Wrapping it up was just dumb fun and it had a solid end to the questline. And then the whole bit with the lineage of the family was a lot that came out of nowhere but paid off more in the DLC.

But on to the most important thing you said fam Phase: YOU DELETE YOUR SAVES :shock: :shock: :shock: ???? Man, that's a power move, bruh. I could never even think about it, especially for a 100+ hour beast like Odyssey. I still have PS1 memory cards for just on case :lol: ! Can I ask when and why you do that? Do you do it with all your games? Do you never go back to pick up or finish off a game? I am so intrigued by this, don't leave me hanging fam Phase :) !
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:17 pmYOU DELETE YOUR SAVES :shock: :shock: :shock: ???? Man, that's a power move, bruh. I could never even think about it, especially for a 100+ hour beast like Odyssey. I still have PS1 memory cards for just on case :lol: ! Can I ask when and why you do that? Do you do it with all your games? Do you never go back to pick up or finish off a game? I am so intrigued by this, don't leave me hanging fam Phase :) !
I delete my saves when I finish my games, once they’re done I won’t play them again for a really long time if at all. If I do decide to play a game again that I finished, I’ll start it at the very beginning to experience it all over again in its entirety.

I currently have 500+ PS4 games, so it’s unlikely that I’ll want to replay too many of them again after finishing them. I have a lot of Xbox 360 games that I would like to play again because it’s been so long since I played them and I would like to experience them again, but I don’t know when or if that will ever happen since I have so many PS4 games that I want to play that I haven’t played yet.