The Backlog Check-in Vol. 176: 5/15/21: Just Die Already: Old People Mayhem Sandbox Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 176: 5/15/21: Just Die Already: Old People Mayhem Sandbox Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

Finished: Nothing

Playing: Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

Added: Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Wrath of the Druids, The LEGO Movie Videogame, LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Life is Strange 2 Complete Season

Games releasing this week
Aerial_Knight’s Never Yield
Arcaea
Chess Knights: Shinobi
Cosmic Top Secret
Crossroads Inn
Essays on Empathy
Grindstone
Guards
Gutwhale
Jay and Silent Bob: Mall Brawl
Just Die Already: Old People Mayhem Sandbox
Knockout City
The Longest Road on Earth
Manifold Garden
Miitopia
Quantum Replica
Rise of the Slime
Rising Hell
Rust
SnowRunner
The Sparkle 2 Evo
Sunless Skies
Sure Footing
Tank Mechanic Simulator
Techno Tanks
Violett
The Wild at Heart
0 Degrees
Last edited by Phaseknox on Sat May 22, 2021 4:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
crimson_tide

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 176: 5/15/21: Layers of Fear 2 Edition

Post by crimson_tide »

Played:...House Hunters 9: Ant Man and The Wasp :cry: , Yakuza 3

Finished: Yakuza 3 :D :D :D ! Still a damn fine story if not paced the best at times (the exposition dump politician, yikes that was awful) with the actual worst combat on the series. NEEDS a Kiwami upgrade, I would play through again ;) ...in a few years. The orphanage chunk is REALLY good, what can I say? They could even expand that and I would be down. That ending though is still a lot...

Bought: Yakuza Remastered Collection (wait, l need to splain...), Ghost Recon Wildlands (you happy fam Phase :P )

This week: Yakuza 4, Wildlands, Trials of Mana maybe? Trying to mix it up before the summer and I let P5 Strikers become my early summer game ;)

So look. I thought the house hunting gamed were over but now cliffhangers waiting for appraisal and whatnot...buying a house is like a lot, bruh. Hopefully we can go straight past Captain Marvel to Endgame next week...

I bought the Yakuza collection digitally because I wanted to go straight into 4 from 3 because I am basic. Sorry. But sadly I think my disc drive on my PS4 pro is dying. It kept telling me the disc was corrupt and I couldn't run the game. I had planned on buying the digital collection anyway and it was thankfully on sale. Ghost Recon Wildlands seems like the kind of mindless shooty bang bang I want (The Division asked a little too much of me but I would love to go back to it). Seems like Wildlands is a bit more straightforward, I am going to fire it up tonight. I was sold by a video review that had a stupid web of command with like 30 people to kill almost like my honest to God favorite part of Odyssey, massacring the Order! I flipping LOVED doing that and if this is just more of that bur with guns, I may have to put more stock in the word of fam Phase. Still trying to find a place to fit in Andromeda...oh, and I will dip in and out of Trials of Mana because I managed to get it downloaded from the disc and want to see if this continues to be a drive issue or something with just that disc (I rebooted and it seemed to work fine...)
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:58 pmBought: Ghost Recon Wildlands (you happy fam Phase :P )
Yes. :)
crimson_tide wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:58 pmsadly I think my disc drive on my PS4 pro is dying. It kept telling me the disc was corrupt and I couldn't run the game.
I discovered that when my disc drive was acting up it was because I was leaving a game disc in my PS4 when putting it to sleep, or turning it off. Once I started removing my game disc before putting my PS4 to sleep or turning it off, it has worked fine. I’m not sure if that’s the problem that you’re having, but if you’ve been leaving your game disc in your PS4 when putting it to sleep or turning it off, I would suggest not doing that anymore and always eject it before putting your PS4 to sleep or turning it off.
crimson_tide wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:58 pmGhost Recon Wildlands seems like the kind of mindless shooty bang bang I want (The Division asked a little too much of me but I would love to go back to it). Seems like Wildlands is a bit more straightforward, I am going to fire it up tonight. I was sold by a video review that had a stupid web of command with like 30 people to kill almost like my honest to God favorite part of Odyssey, massacring the Order! I flipping LOVED doing that and if this is just more of that bur with guns, I may have to put more stock in the word of fam Phase.
Ghost Recon: Wildlands is almost quite literally Assassin’s Creed Odyssey with guns that takes place in modern day Bolivia. Each region of the map has a major enemy that you need to assassinate, or capture. The regions have level ratings so you know what level you should be at before doing them. Just talking about it makes me want to play it again, it’s my favorite military game/third person shooter. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did.
crimson_tide

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 176: 5/15/21: Just Die Already: Old People Mayhem Sandbox Edition

Post by crimson_tide »

Oh snap, thanks for mentioning that Phase! I had been leaving the disc in my PS4 at all times. I will start removing it and see if that alleviates the issue. I hadn't really looked into it so here's to hoping it's that simple. I thought it was weird because I barely use the disc drive, didn't seem like it should burn out given the limited usage.

So Wildlands might be too much for me. I finally got my black chick with cornrows that I wanted to create! But they just throw you in and there's so much. Also, my AI peeps are way too competent. I got 5 total skill points because they're too effective, I might have killed one person so far. Also, there's so many guns! I know nothing about guns what the hell!?!? I am going to give it a few more hours but I might have to fall back and go to fam Phase's other suggestion, Andromeda. I need less choice and variety in combat and setup. That's why I bounced off the Division so fast (even though I will go back). I just need little baby progression system. Kingdom Hearts is like strength, defense, magic, MAYBE ability points, done. It needs to be something a child can engage with and be successful. A very young child. Or I get overwhelmed, sorry...oh, I also can't play it around my goddaughter. That's part of the Yakuza thing lately, she can't read it yet so I can play it fairly fully in front of her no problem. Wildlands not so much. The gunplay also scares her a bit. But Mass Effect is all sci Fi nonsense so she's fine with that so I might have to go there next.
Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 176: 5/15/21: Just Die Already: Old People Mayhem Sandbox Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

crimson_tide wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:53 pmOh snap, thanks for mentioning that Phase! I had been leaving the disc in my PS4 at all times. I will start removing it and see if that alleviates the issue.
I hope that solves the problem.
crimson_tide wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:53 pmSo Wildlands might be too much for me. I finally got my black chick with cornrows that I wanted to create! But they just throw you in and there's so much. Also, my AI peeps are way too competent. I got 5 total skill points because they're too effective, I might have killed one person so far. Also, there's so many guns! I know nothing about guns what the hell!?!? I am going to give it a few more hours but I might have to fall back and go to fam Phase's other suggestion, Andromeda. I need less choice and variety in combat and setup.
I played as a lone wolf in Ghost Recon: Wildlands for quite a while in the beginning, but brought in my AI teammates later when the missions became too much to do alone. But if you’re not really feeling it right now then Mass Effect: Andromeda might be the better game to play. It’s a third person sci-fi planet hopping bang bang good time with a colorful cast of characters.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Ratchet & Clank 2016 PS4 (platinum)

Now Playing: Immortals: Fenyx Rising PS5, Final Fantasy VII Remake?

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 39 games

Got the platinum in Ratchet & Clank last week, and then pre-ordered Rift Apart today for some next gen R&C fun in a couple of weeks!

Still making progress in Immortals, though I'm not as far as I'd like (just freed the first god).

crimson_tide wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:58 pm Finished: Yakuza 3 :D :D :D ! Still a damn fine story if not paced the best at times (the exposition dump politician, yikes that was awful) with the actual worst combat on the series. NEEDS a Kiwami upgrade, I would play through again ;) ...in a few years. The orphanage chunk is REALLY good, what can I say? They could even expand that and I would be down. That ending though is still a lot...

So look. I thought the house hunting gamed were over but now cliffhangers waiting for appraisal and whatnot...buying a house is like a lot, bruh. Hopefully we can go straight past Captain Marvel to Endgame next week...
Good luck on the house, I hope it goes your way!

Phaseknox wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:22 am
crimson_tide wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:58 pmsadly I think my disc drive on my PS4 pro is dying. It kept telling me the disc was corrupt and I couldn't run the game.
I discovered that when my disc drive was acting up it was because I was leaving a game disc in my PS4 when putting it to sleep, or turning it off. Once I started removing my game disc before putting my PS4 to sleep or turning it off, it has worked fine. I’m not sure if that’s the problem that you’re having, but if you’ve been leaving your game disc in your PS4 when putting it to sleep or turning it off, I would suggest not doing that anymore and always eject it before putting your PS4 to sleep or turning it off.
I always leave discs in my PS4 when I'm not playing. [face_worried]
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

"Just Die Already: Old People Mayhem Sandbox" huh? You really hate me that much, Phase? :cry:

Played recently: Days Gone, Shakedown Hawaii

Finished: Days Gone

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 12 (8 PS4, 1 Vita, 3 Switch)

Days Gone was much better than I expected. Great characters, unique setting and fun gameplay. Thanks to all who recommended it.

argyle, I think you were wondering how I'd feel about the last part of the game. I assume you meant taking down the hordes? I've heard some people (Colin Moriarty, for example) say that's the best part of the game. I get where those people are coming from, it's one thing that sets the game apart. However... I'm an old man and that stuff really stressed me out. Thank God I didn't have a heart attack last night when I was running away from the sawmill horde and thought I was going into a tunnel but it was a cave. I was also out of Tommy gun ammo. :oops: Fortunately the ones I had taken out were still dead when I respawned. If I had had to start over I might have said, "Nope, done with this."

I was out of town for work last week and I fired up Shakedown Hawaii on the plane. What a joy that game is, just like Retro City Rampage... like they were made for me.