The Backlog Check-in Vol. 195: 9/25/21: FIFA 22 Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 195: 9/25/21: FIFA 22 Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

Finished (playing): Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

Playing: Diablo III: Eternal Collection

Added: Nothing

I finished episode 2 of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey: The Fate of Atlantis, and it was really good. The story, characters and quests were all great, and it was well paced and didn’t overstay its welcome. Just when I was starting to want to leave its dark, dreary and depressing environment, I reached its end. It definitely looks cool somewhat like a Souls game, but after a while it becomes an unpleasant place to be in unlike beautiful and colorful ancient Greece from the main game.

I started playing episode 3 Judgment of Atlantis, and didn’t really care for it. Atlantis is colorful and pretty much like Elysium is, but poorly designed and laid out. It’s a condensed, multileveled, same-y looking city environment that’s congested and difficult to navigate. I gave it a chance and did a few quests, but none of them were good IMO. In addition to the quests not being very good, you’re also given a bunch of mundane collect-a-thon tasks that I just wasn’t up for so I decided to quit.

Episode 2 Torment of Hades felt connected to the main game since you go to the underworld where you sent your defeated enemies, and encounter a lot of them there again. The environment was also designed/laid out similar to the ones in the main game, and the quests were primarily based on combat without any boring or mundane tasks. Episode 1 Fields of Elysium and episode 3 Judgment of Atlantis are too far removed from the main game for me, and are also too focused on being connected to the modern day sci-fi stuff which I really have no interest in. Not to mention that their environments are too fantastical and poorly designed/laid out IMO, especially Judgment of Atlantis.

I wasn’t liking Judgment of Atlantis at all, and didn’t have an interest in playing it any longer. While I wanted to see the story to its conclusion, I wasn’t about to play through something that I wasn’t enjoying just to do so. I don’t really care about the modern day sci-fi stuff in the game, so it wasn’t worth playing through the final episode of the DLC just to see more of it.

I’m officially done with Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, I put another 195 hours into it this second time playing it and I’ve had more than my fill of it at this point. I’m playing Diablo III: Eternal Collection now since that’s what I was playing when I started playing Odyssey again.

Games releasing this week
Aeon Drive
Agatha Christie: Hurcule Poirot - The First Cases
Alchemic Cutie
AlphaLink
Asdivine Saga
Astria Ascending
Away: The Survival Series
Bubble Bobble 4 Friends: The Baron is Back
Centipede: Recharged
Chernobylite
ConnecTank
Creepy Tale
Dandy Ace
Death’s Gambit: Afterlife
Demon Skin
Doctor Who: The Edge of Reality
eFootball 2022
The Eternal Cylinder
ExZeus: The Complete Collection
FIFA 22
Hot Wheels Unleashed
Immortal Legacy: The Jade Cipher
Impostor Factory
Industria
In Sound Mind
Insurgency: Sandstorm
A Juggler’s Tale
KeyWe
Knockout Home Fitness
The Last Friend
Lemnis Gate
Mary Skelter Finale
Melty Blood: Type Lumina
New World
NYKRA
Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye
Phoenix Point
Rogue Lords
Skeletal Avenger
Space Revenge
Steel Assault
Toy Soldiers HD
Unsighted
argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 195: 9/25/21: FIFA 22 Edition

Post by argyle »

Games added: Diablo II Resurrected

Last week: Finished nothing, played Diablo III

This week: More of that

So I realized the problem with Diablo II - it's 20 years old. :P Seriously, they have made a LOT of improvements in those games since then, a lot more than I realized until I played D2 again. Luckily I got the bundle that came with D3, and Tam and I have been playing a lot of that. I haven't played any more Tales this week, mainly because when I get game time I want something easy to jump into, play a few mins or however long I decide to, and then put down. Tales is great from what I've played, but it's a game you have to set aside time to devote to it. I'll get to it. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:55 amSo I realized the problem with Diablo II - it's 20 years old. :P
What’s the problem with it? I didn’t even know that you were playing it, or had started Tales of Arise. Am I missing a post of yours? :?:
argyle wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:55 amI got the bundle that came with D3, and Tam and I have been playing a lot of that.
I’m playing Diablo III now as well, and it’s hitting the spot after 195 hours of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.

I’ve actually played through a good part of Act I a few times in the past with different characters to decide which one that I wanted to play through the game as and I picked the Crusader, but I got tired of playing as her by Act III since I found her to be a bit generic and quit playing.

I started again with the Demon Hunter and the Monk, and while I liked both I decided to go with the Demon Hunter since she made the game feel somewhat like a twin stick shooter which it’s designed like since you’re constantly fending off mobs of enemies from every direction.

I was playing it when the Assassin’s Creed Odyssey season pass went on sale, and I bought it and decided to play through Odyssey again. And since I just finished Odyssey, I went back to Diablo III and finished Act I last night. It’s a fun pick up and play action game where you survive onslaughts of enemies, continuously get loot and unlock skills/upgrades.

Since I’m enjoying Diablo III do you think that I would like Diablo II: Resurrected as well, or is it too dated at this point?
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I'm still playing Elex and having a great time.

I also fired up The Pinball Arcade for the first time in a long time. That's always a mistake, lol, because it's so easy to just play game after game of one of the many tables I own and let whatever else I'm playing fall by the wayside. Pinball is so addicting to me.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:00 pmI'm still playing Elex and having a great time.
I have Elex, but I’m worried that I won’t be able to get into it since you play as a male character. It’s getting to the point now where I don’t want to play as male characters in games anymore. Of course there are exceptions if I feel like the main character should be male such as in games like Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War and Yakuza for example, and also in JRPGs where you’re the leader of a party of team members most of which are female. :P But for the most part I prefer playing as female characters in games, and I don’t really have an interest in playing games now where you play as a dude.
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:40 pm
isthatallyougot wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:00 pmI'm still playing Elex and having a great time.
I have Elex, but I’m worried that I won’t be able to get into it since you play as a male character. It’s getting to the point now where I don’t want to play as male characters in games anymore. Of course there are exceptions if I feel like the main character should be male such as in games like Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War and Yakuza for example, and also in JRPGs where you’re the leader of a party of team members most of which are female. :P But for the most part I prefer playing as female characters in games, and I don’t really have an interest in playing games now where you play as a dude.
Well the male character in Elex is particularly gruff and "alpha", so I'm not sure if that would make it better or worse for you, ha.

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:37 amWell the male character in Elex is particularly gruff and "alpha", so I'm not sure if that would make it better or worse for you, ha.
He looks generic to me, but I won’t know what I think of him until I play the game. I’ll give the game a chance, but I’m not sure that I’ll stick with it since you play as a dude. I play as a dude every day in my real life, so I don’t really like playing as one in my video games too. :P
isthatallyougot

Phaseknox wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:22 pm
isthatallyougot wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:37 amWell the male character in Elex is particularly gruff and "alpha", so I'm not sure if that would make it better or worse for you, ha.
He looks generic to me, but I won’t know what I think of him until I play the game. I’ll give the game a chance, but I’m not sure that I’ll stick with it since you play as a dude. I play as a dude every day in my real life, so I don’t really like playing as one in my video games too. :P
It's interesting how we all experience things differently. The avatar I take on while gaming rarely matters too much to me. I care much more about the game itself. I enjoy interesting and fun main characters, to be fair, but I have no rigid requirements about who they are. I had no problem with the main character in Thomas was Alone. :P

Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:25 pmIt's interesting how we all experience things differently. The avatar I take on while gaming rarely matters too much to me. I care much more about the game itself. I enjoy interesting and fun main characters, to be fair, but I have no rigid requirements about who they are.
The only time that I didn’t really care about the characters that I played as in games is when I was younger and games were a lot more rudimentary in both look and design. Once they went 3D and started advancing more in terms of storytelling, visuals and design I started caring more about the character that I was playing as. However, I admit that I was a lot more accepting of different types of characters over the years compared to now. While I was always somewhat drawn to female characters in games, I didn’t have a problem with playing as male characters a lot of the time like I do now. Now it’s gotten to the point where I don’t even really want to play a game unless I can play as a female character. Like I said before there are exceptions, but for the most part I just don’t have an interest in playing as guys in games anymore.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Psychonauts 2, Lost Judgment PS5

Added to Backlog: Lost Judgment

Current Backlog: 41 games

Have made decent progress in Psychonauts 2, probably a week or so out from beating the story. Will start Lost Judgment soon!