The Backlog Check-in Vol. 196: 10/2/21: Far Cry 6/Metroid Dread Edition

argyle

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 196: 10/2/21: Far Cry 6/Metroid Dread Edition

Post by argyle »

Games added: Castlevania Advance Collection (XB)

Last week: Finished nothing, played Diablo III, Castlevania: Circle of the Moon.

This week: Been playing more of those 2, plus I got the itch to re-play South Park: The Stick of Truth.

Diablo is a looter Phase, you don't play it for the story. If it didn't click with you, D2 definitely will not - it's the same basic gameplay loop but just clunkier. Circle of the Moon is great. I had dabbled with it on the GBA, but never got that far in (never played too much of ANYTHING on the GBA, even before my close-up eyesight went south that screen was just TINY). Really happy to be able to play those GBA Castlevanias on the big screen, and wish/hope some other devs take the initiative to do that. Whoever Konami got to do the ports did a great job w/ the package - all 3 GBA games + Dracula X are included, each w/ 3 different versions (JP, EU, & US). Remapable controls, and some cool artwork as a bonus.

I've been re-watching South Park lately as my "I just got home from work & want to veg w/ something I don't have to pay much attention to" show. So that gave me the itch to replay Stick of Truth - great game. I wouldn't mind a third one of those games.

Really looking forward to Metroid Dread tomorrow! :D
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:22 am That's the thing... I expected Lima and the surrounding towns to be a drag, but we had a great time. My buddy rented a car/driver for us one day so we could drink without worrying about driving. The Escalade he reserved wasn't working that morning, however, so they gave us the stretch Hummer. :lol: The residents of towns like Rockford and Coldwater were probably disappointed when instead of Taylor Swift emerging they got four old guys.

:P
argyle wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:05 am This week: Been playing more of those 2, plus I got the itch to re-play South Park: The Stick of Truth.
I really enjoyed that one too. I've been tempted to fire up the Fractured But(t) :P (W)hole soon, but knowing it's a different dev, I'm not sure I'll enjoy it as much.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

argyle wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:05 amDiablo is a looter Phase, you don't play it for the story. If it didn't click with you, D2 definitely will not - it's the same basic gameplay loop but just clunkier.
I realize that the gameplay is the main draw of Diablo III and I do somewhat like it, but it does start to feel a bit repetitive after a while since it’s basically slaughtering and surviving onslaughts of enemies over and over again every step of the way with only the environment graphics changing. I plan on playing it again at some point, but I’m just not really in the mood for it right now. I plan on getting Diablo II: Resurrected when it’s $20 or less since I like the Diablo formula enough to get it for cheap.
argyle wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:05 amReally happy to be able to play those GBA Castlevanias on the big screen, and wish/hope some other devs take the initiative to do that. Whoever Konami got to do the ports did a great job w/ the package - all 3 GBA games + Dracula X are included, each w/ 3 different versions (JP, EU, & US). Remapable controls, and some cool artwork as a bonus.
I have the other two Castlevania collections, and I plan on getting this one when it’s cheaper.
argyle wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:05 amReally looking forward to Metroid Dread tomorrow! :D
My brother is too. I myself really want Far Cry 6 right now, but I have so much else to play that I don’t need it right now and it’s a Ubisoft game so it should drop in price rather quickly. I’ll get it when it’s $40, or less.
isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:52 am
argyle wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:05 amThis week: Been playing more of those 2, plus I got the itch to re-play South Park: The Stick of Truth.
I really enjoyed that one too. I've been tempted to fire up the Fractured But(t) :P (W)hole soon, but knowing it's a different dev, I'm not sure I'll enjoy it as much.
It is? I didn’t know that.
argyle

Post by argyle »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:54 pm
isthatallyougot wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:52 am
argyle wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:05 amThis week: Been playing more of those 2, plus I got the itch to re-play South Park: The Stick of Truth.
It is? I didn’t know that.
I didn't either. It's just as good as the first one at any rate - if you like one, you'll most likely like the other. I think the key is that Trey Parker and Matt Stone were really involved in the making of both of them.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Yeah, as long as the humor of the show is there, I'm sure I'll enjoy the butt-hole game. :P (I'm over 50. What's wrong with me?!? :P)It's not like I remember being transfixed by the mechanics of the first one, although I do remember having fun with it.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/ ... n-20211008

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy: The Definitive Edition is coming soon! I'm interested to see some gameplay and what the graphics look like.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

jfissel wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:14 am https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/ ... n-20211008

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy: The Definitive Edition is coming soon! I'm interested to see some gameplay and what the graphics look like.
AWESOME. I've tried going back to those a few times but the gameplay (which never bothered me at the time) is rough. As long as they fix that, I'm good.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Sup? Koichi Sugiyama passed. Which is a bummer because man, I REALLY became a DQ fan recently because of this dang ol song:

I now own DQ Heroes, Heroes 2 and will be buying Builders 2 as soon as I feel ready for that. I might even go back and do some 2D stuff like DQ5 because it's pretty well repped in DQ11S with the time travel bits. I know many a zoomer who just is kinda eh on the DQ music because cliche, but nah. My old ass is HERE for these jams. I absolutely love the overworld theme in DQ11S.

But also...MAN was the dude just not ok in my book. The weirdness with insisting his music be MIDI and the nationalism coupled with the homophobia...I am not ok with just about any of what this dude stood for. But now I love this DQ stuff! Apparently, DQ12 is his last credited work. Again, separating the art from the artist here so bummer he passed but I just wish he had not been so...ew. But I am madly in love with DQ now and he did have his hand in that so I give the man his props.

Played:...ummm...Project X Zone 2. Kaz and Majima are in it. I still don't like the bizarre horniness of the game at all. I might have to stop. Ew. Yes, I am a prude. Suck it. Oh and Warioland 2. It's fun that he can't like, die and ****. That's cool. And that's it.

Phase may have been on to something and I may be in more of a mood than I let on last week. I didn't even realize it. Nothing is calling at the moment. I just am going to buckle down this weekend and start something because I do miss regular gaming sessions. I think work and life are at odds at the moment what with the grind returning and all. I do get an hour to game a night roughly but I haven't been using it because I can't decide what to play and end up falling asleep anyway. This is your fault old man, you wished this on me and did this to me!!! :P

Beat: Nothing

Added: Nothing

This week: I am going to buckle down and play a new RPG of some sort. Maybe Resonance of Fate or something because Project X Zone 2. Something to dig into with systems and whatnot. I thought fighters might be the way to go but frankly, I don't seem to be driven to figure them out anymore but I may throw one in there for quick spurts. We'll see.

Oh and you really should play South Park Fractured But Whole, izzy. I actually ended up enjoying the battle system more than Stick of Truth. However, it needlessly ties in extremely well with Stick of Truth. And it is extremely funny just like Stick of Truth. Plus, it's relatively short. I dug it...except for like one boss. But other than that, aces :) .