The Backlog Check-in Vol. 196: 10/2/21: Far Cry 6/Metroid Dread Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 196: 10/2/21: Far Cry 6/Metroid Dread Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Diablo III: Eternal Collection

Finished (playing): Diablo III: Eternal Collection

Playing: Die Young

Added: Nothing

I stopped playing Diablo III despite liking it more as the Demon Hunter because it’s repetitive with a somewhat generic dark fantasy story, and a fairly uninteresting cast of characters. It’s basically the same thing throughout with only the scenery graphics changing. You make your way through open-ish areas and semi maze-like dungeons slaughtering onslaughts of enemies and getting loot. Lather, rinse, repeat. It’s labeled as an action RPG, but there’s not much RPG about it. It’s more of an action game. It can be fun if you’re really in the mood for its gameplay loop, but I’m not right now.

I started playing an indie game developed in Greece called Die Young, and I’m enjoying it. It’s an open world first person survival horror game with platforming elements that takes place on an island with obvious inspiration taken from Far Cry 3 minus the guns. My only real issue with it so far is that it’s low budget, but even so it still manages to deliver a solid experience. The graphics are decent, the gameplay is good, the voice acting is passable and the overall design is well done. There’s very little handholding, exploration is definitely encouraged. It also offers some resource gathering, crafting and survival sim elements. I think that it’s something that Izzy would like.

Games releasing this week
Art of Rally
Atom RPG Supporter Edition
Blaze and the Monster Machines: Axle City Racers
BPM: Bullets Per Minute
Exophobia
Far Cry 6
Hell Let Loose
Jett: The Far Shore
Lord of the Click 2
Metroid Dread
Night Reverie
No Longer Home
Phoenix Point
Puzzle Bobble 3D: Vacation Odyssey
Rainbow Billy: The Curse of the Leviathan
Rain City
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania
Takorita Meets Fries
Tetris Effect: Connected
Last edited by Phaseknox on Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 196: 10/2/21: Far Cry 6/Metroid Dread Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Psychonauts 2 (story)

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Psychonauts 2, Lost Judgment PS5

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 40 games

Turns out I was only a few days away from beating the Psychonauts 2 story. Great game, loved it, fits perfectly in the series. I think a lot of the levels from the first game are more "unique" but there were a few in the sequel that I thought were very enjoyable with some different themes and gameplay. I don't know how hard it will be to find all figments, emotional baggage, etc, but I'll give it a shot!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

jfissel wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:52 pm Turns out I was only a few days away from beating the Psychonauts 2 story. Great game, loved it, fits perfectly in the series. I think a lot of the levels from the first game are more "unique" but there were a few in the sequel that I thought were very enjoyable with some different themes and gameplay. I don't know how hard it will be to find all figments, emotional baggage, etc, but I'll give it a shot!
I'm still holding out for someone to put it on disc. Hopefully it won't take long.

Played recently: nothing

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: Diablo II

Current backlog: 17 (13 PS4, 1 Vita, 3 Switch)

I played a little bit of Diablo II and it's a good time. Hope to get back to it tonight.

I had a lot of fun in northwest Ohio, shockingly. :P We hit a lot of small-town breweries and Oktoberfest in Minster, which was an interesting scene. Sadly, though, we didn't see Dave Chappelle during our day in Yellow Springs. Still, nice state you got there, jfissel!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I stopped playing Die Young because (as the kids say today) it wasn’t respecting my time. It offers a fairly big open map that you have to physically travel by foot long distances across, so they provide campfires (save points) at challenging areas that are far apart from each other so that if you die you can reload close to where you were. But I made it to a challenging area that was extremely far from my last campfire save point, and I couldn’t find a campfire save point anywhere near it. I fell to my death during a platforming section, and was sent all the way back to my last campfire save point with all progress lost. I wasn’t having that, so I quit playing. I like the premise and design of the game, but it could have definitely used a bigger budget to have some production values. I’ll probably give it another go sometime in the future as I was somewhat enjoying it, but I’m not really in the mood for its somewhat methodically paced trial-and-error gameplay right now.

I started playing Gravity Rush Remastered, and I’m really enjoying it. It’s original and fun, and Kat is a cutie and a good example of the type of character that I like playing in video games. I know that it received some good attention and praise back when it originally came out, and now I understand why because it’s something different and unique. It’s also distinctly Japanese, it’s unlikely that a Western developer would ever make a game like this. I also have Gravity Rush 2, and I look forward to playing it after I play this one.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

I'm still really enjoying ELEX. I've spent well over 40 hours with it and last night was shocked to see a transition with a big "Chapter 2" gracing the screen, lol. I know I've been taking things slow and wandering around, but this is apparently bigger than I thought. To be fair, I'd not joined a faction (part of the main quest) or done too many main missions - mostly just exploring and picking up side-quests as I stumbled upon them.

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:03 amI'm still really enjoying ELEX.
I heard that there are female romance options in it, so that will probably make me not mind playing as a male character as much. I was fine playing as the male character in the first two Risen games (also made by Piranha Bytes) because you got a cute female companion in them. ;)
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:56 am I had a lot of fun in northwest Ohio, shockingly. :P We hit a lot of small-town breweries and Oktoberfest in Minster, which was an interesting scene. Sadly, though, we didn't see Dave Chappelle during our day in Yellow Springs. Still, nice state you got there, jfissel!
Depends on where you are in the state, lol. I personally haven't been up in the NW part much, so I have no idea what's up there except Cedar Point.
isthatallyougot

Post by isthatallyougot »

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:28 am I heard that there are female romance options in it, so that will probably make me not mind playing as a male character as much. I was fine playing as the male character in the first two Risen games (also made by Piranha Bytes) because you got a cute female companion in them. ;)
Nothing suggesting that has made an appearance thus far, but again, I'm moving like a turtle.

jfissel wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:09 pm Depends on where you are in the state, lol.
Can confirm. :P

Dragon kick your a$$ into the Milky Way!
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:45 pm
jfissel wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:09 pm Depends on where you are in the state, lol.
That's the thing... I expected Lima and the surrounding towns to be a drag, but we had a great time. My buddy rented a car/driver for us one day so we could drink without worrying about driving. The Escalade he reserved wasn't working that morning, however, so they gave us the stretch Hummer. :lol: The residents of towns like Rockford and Coldwater were probably disappointed when instead of Taylor Swift emerging they got four old guys.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

canedaddy wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:22 am
isthatallyougot wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:45 pm
That's the thing... I expected Lima and the surrounding towns to be a drag, but we had a great time. My buddy rented a car/driver for us one day so we could drink without worrying about driving. The Escalade he reserved wasn't working that morning, however, so they gave us the stretch Hummer. :lol: The residents of towns like Rockford and Coldwater were probably disappointed when instead of Taylor Swift emerging they got four old guys.
Haha, that's awesome. I guess I need to check out more of my state then...right now I just stick around the Columbus area if I do anything at all.