The Backlog Check-in Vol. 198: 10/16/21: The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes Edition

Phaseknox

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 198: 10/16/21: The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

I finished Evoland, it took me three hours. It’s less of an actual game, and more of an interactive retro JRPG parody. It offers gameplay, but never presents any sort of challenge outside of a few puzzles. I really liked the concept and it offered a lot of humor, but it was way too short.

I started Evoland II, and it’s a lot better in every way. It’s an actual retro style JRPG (developed in France :P) similar to Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana. It has different graphic styles such as 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit, etc. like the first game did, but they’re interwoven into the story now based on time travel. I haven’t played too much of it yet, but I’ve enjoyed what I’ve played so far.
jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 198: 10/16/21: The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes Edition

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:08 am I finished Evoland, it took me three hours. It’s less of an actual game, and more of an interactive retro JRPG parody. It offers gameplay, but never presents any sort of challenge outside of a few puzzles. I really liked the concept and it offered a lot of humor, but it was way too short.

I started Evoland II, and it’s a lot better in every way. It’s an actual retro style JRPG (developed in France :P) similar to Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana. It has different graphic styles such as 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit, etc. like the first game did, but they’re interwoven into the story now based on time travel. I haven’t played too much of it yet, but I’ve enjoyed what I’ve played so far.
Wait, the graphics change depending on where you are in the story?
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:07 pmWait, the graphics change depending on where you are in the story?
Yes, the first game plays out sort of like the evolution of JRPGs starting out 8-bit and turning 16-bit and eventually 32-bit/64-bit by the end. It also switches between action and turn-based combat throughout. It’s cute and humorous how it’s done, but is way too short only taking about three hours to finish.

The second game is an actual full-length retro style action JRPG. You time travel throughout the story, and the past has 8-bit graphics, the present has 16-bit graphics and the future has 32-bit/64-bit graphics. It’s a cool concept, and I’ve been enjoying it.
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

That sounds cool, Phase. I'll check it out.