The Backlog Check-in Vol. 200: 10/30/21: Call of Duty: Vanguard Edition

Phaseknox

The Backlog Check-in Vol. 200: 10/30/21: Call of Duty: Vanguard Edition

Post by Phaseknox »

Played: Claire: Extended Cut, Evoland II, My Big Sister, Red Bow

Finished: My Big Sister, Red Bow

Playing: Claire: Extended Cut

Added: Amnesia: Rebirth, The Blackout Club, Claire: Extended Cut, The Coma 2: Vicious Sisters, The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope, Kholat, Mystik Belle, Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story, Whispering Willows

I finished My Big Sister, it was a decent little home brew indie horror game. It took me a few hours to finish, it could have been a little longer but was still an ok length for what it is. It’s primarily an interactive story with light adventuring and key item puzzle solving. The story was a little convoluted and hard to follow at times, but still somewhat entertaining. It’s not a must-play by any means, but I had some fun with it and it was definitely worth the $1 or so that I paid for it.

I started playing Claire: Extended Cut which is a 2D side scrolling adventure horror game with 16-bit pixel art style graphics. It starts out weird right away, and I have no idea what’s going on in it. Despite the graphics being a bit cartoonish in style, it’s still creepy and unsettling. It’s a little confusing to navigate through since the graphics are intentionally dark, and the environments primarily consist of hallways, doors and rooms. Thankfully you have a map that helps you figure out where to go. It’s an interconnected environment that you need to explore and find key items to advance through. I’m not the biggest fan of these types of 2D side scrolling adventure games since I find them to be somewhat claustrophobic and disorientating to navigate through, but I’m somewhat enjoying this one and want to keep playing to find out WTF is going on.

Games releasing this week
The Binding of Isaac: Repentance
Call of Duty: Vanguard
Conway: Disappearance of Dahlia View
Cupid Parasite
Demon Turf
First Class Trouble
Just Dance 2022
Mobile Suit Gundam: Battle Operation Code Fairy
Prison Simulator
The Solitaire Conspiracy
Truck Driver
Tunche
Where Cards Fall
jfissel

Re: The Backlog Check-in Vol. 200: 10/30/21: Call of Duty: Vanguard Edition

Post by jfissel »

Finished: Nothing

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Lost Judgment PS5

Added to Backlog: Nothing

Current Backlog: 40 games

Hope everyone had a great Halloween! Just plowing through Lost Judgment as best I can...still sidetracked with school stories and side cases, but I did have to make a little story progress for some things to open up.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

jfissel wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:55 pmJust plowing through Lost Judgment as best I can
How does it compare to the first game in your opinion? Better, worse, or about the same?
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

Phaseknox wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:39 pm
jfissel wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:55 pmJust plowing through Lost Judgment as best I can
How does it compare to the first game in your opinion? Better, worse, or about the same?
I would just say about the same currently. No idea where the story will go or if that will change my mind, but we'll see. If you've played the first game, nothing here is a surprise so far other than an early focus on this high school and high school students.
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

I stopped playing Claire: Extended Cut because I’m not really in the mood for a slow paced 2D side scrolling 16-bit pixel art style adventure horror game right now. I got in the mood for a third person action-y game since I wanted a change from retro 2D pixel art games, and decided to play Everreach: Project Eden. It’s a third person sci-fi shooter with light adventure and RPG elements, and I’m enjoying it. It has good production values for an indie game, and looks and plays somewhat like a poor man’s Mass Effect. It’s currently on sale at the PS Store for $7.49 (regularly $24.99), so you might want to check it out if you like third person sci-fi shooters.
crimson_tide

Post by crimson_tide »

Sup?

I played like an hour of DBZ Kakarot and beat one more boss in Circle of the Moon.

I love my job but am now remembering that I only played so much in the past 18 months of the pandemic because no commute and no grading/calling parents/planning/paperwork at night (got all that done by 5 during the pandemic)...well, I played Origins, Odyssey, P5R, DQ11S, Like a Dragon AND developed a grudging respect for Yakuza 3 after a replay so I can say I did pretty good. Now back to beating like 2 games a year until summer comes back around :P . Still over the moon to be back at work :D !!!
jfissel

Post by jfissel »

crimson_tide wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:17 am Sup?

I played like an hour of DBZ Kakarot and beat one more boss in Circle of the Moon.

I love my job but am now remembering that I only played so much in the past 18 months of the pandemic because no commute and no grading/calling parents/planning/paperwork at night (got all that done by 5 during the pandemic)...well, I played Origins, Odyssey, P5R, DQ11S, Like a Dragon AND developed a grudging respect for Yakuza 3 after a replay so I can say I did pretty good. Now back to beating like 2 games a year until summer comes back around :P . Still over the moon to be back at work :D !!!
Well, make sure to keep stopping by regardless of weekly gaming status lol.
canedaddy

Post by canedaddy »

Played recently: Diablo II, Shakedown Hawaii

Finished: nothing

Added to backlog: nothing

Current backlog: 17 (13 PS4, 1 Vita, 3 Switch)

I was out of town last week, flew to Arizona for work, and got in maybe 8 hours with Shakedown Hawaii on the flights to and from. Such a fun game. I'm not sure whether I'll just finish it now or save it for the next time I fly. It makes the hours go by.

I was enjoying Diablo II until I ran into this crap where you spawn into a boss area toward the end of Chapter 2 and the boss gets in several hits while the scene loads. If you're fortunate, you'll get a glimpse of the boss before you die, but most of the time you're dead as soon as the load is done. Game killer. I'm not alone:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/31 ... d/79681151

Apparently they're not fixing it, which is ridiculous. I'm going to try to see if I can just get enough better gear/levels to survive long enough to take the thing down, but if not, that's it for me. I will demand a refund but probably won't get it.

On the off chance one of you has run into this and has any suggested ways around it, please let me know!
Phaseknox

Post by Phaseknox »

Cane, this is last week’s backlog thread. :P
canedaddy wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:49 amI was out of town last week, flew to Arizona for work, and got in maybe 8 hours with Shakedown Hawaii on the flights to and from.
8 hours and still not finished, how long is it?
canedaddy wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:49 amI was enjoying Diablo II until I ran into this crap where you spawn into a boss area toward the end of Chapter 2 and the boss gets in several hits while the scene loads. If you're fortunate, you'll get a glimpse of the boss before you die, but most of the time you're dead as soon as the load is done. Game killer.
That SUCKS!!!!